PDA

View Full Version : Hitting someone with a crossbow

Swaoeaeieu
2013-12-06, 09:22 AM
If you make a two-handed melee attack you get 1.5 times your str mod on dmg.
The feats crossbow sniper and dead eye shot give you a total of 1.5 times your dex mod on damage when using a crossbow.

so tecnically you even get the extra dex dmg when using the crossbow for a melee attack. But do you also get de str bonus when using the crossbow (or a bladed crossbow) for a melee attack?

Am i wrong in interpreting the feats and rules this way?

hymer
2013-12-06, 09:34 AM
In 3.5, Deadeye shot does not add any dex to damage AFAIK. The description of Crossbow Sniper shows the intent of the feat is to gain the benefit (+½ your dex modifier) when you shoot with it. Your DM will be perfectly reasonable in not letting you gain the benefit of the feat while using the crossbow as an improvised weapon.

In short, the answer to your question seems to be: 'Yes.'

Swaoeaeieu
2013-12-06, 09:40 AM
not dead eye shot. dead eye. the feat from dragon comendium. it says you get your dex bonus on attacks using a crossbow as long as the enemy is within 60 feat. wich smacking someone in the face with a crossbow qualifies for i think.

and of course, the feats are meant for ranged attacks. i was just thinking that by RAW you could use them a bit different.

hymer
2013-12-06, 09:44 AM
Sorry. I don't have that book, so I can't really comment.

Brookshw
2013-12-06, 10:07 AM
Is the feat accurately written here (http://dndtools.eu/feats/dragon-compendium--109/dead-eye--3345/)?

If so I would interpret it as not applying as the way your choosing to attack would be to use the crossbow as an improvised melee weapon, not a ranged weapon that the feat specifies is required.

Regarding bladed crossbow I'm not familiar with the exact wording but suspect it let's you make a melee attack and presumably as a melee weapon. If so see above.

Amphetryon
2013-12-06, 10:10 AM
What you are describing is a deliberate choice to misread the Feats you've listed for optimal benefit. It's unlikely to break the game (because spells do that better already), but it's also unlikely that a real DM in an actual game will allow this level of RAW abuse.

If your DM is one of the rare exceptions who has no issues with your choice on how to read these Feats, rock on.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-12-06, 10:20 AM
ok thanks lads. it was just hopefull thinking on my part. but from now i'll be a good boy and stop reading rules as i would like them to be :P