PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some decent weather.

warty goblin
2013-12-06, 09:33 AM
It's zero degrees this morning, -18 windchill. Real winter at last; I'm psyched.

Now where are my wool socks?

Haruki-kun
2013-12-06, 10:06 AM
.....zero degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? *doesn't know where you live*

Palanan
2013-12-06, 10:59 AM
The OP lives in the American Midwest, I believe, so I'm guessing this is Fahrenheit. Temps right now are 16 F in Lawrence, 21 F in Chicago, 18 F in Tulsa. Really, either way that's cold. :smalltongue:

74 degrees (F) here on the Mid-Atlantic Seaboard, which is absurd. Here's hoping we get some icy weather soon. I want snow, and plenty of it.

warty goblin
2013-12-06, 11:36 AM
.....zero degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? *doesn't know where you live*

Fahrenheit. It started hitting zero Celsius months ago. Personally I'm hoping for at least one good night of -20 or -25 this year, since I'm too far south to hope for -30 or lower. There's a certain clarity of air that you only get when it never climbs above zero.

Zrak
2013-12-07, 01:25 PM
I'm sad our cold snap seems to be breaking so quickly. I was excited for it to be real winter, too, when I woke up to -12f (-24.444c) a couple days ago, but it was back above zero by the next day.

warty goblin
2013-12-07, 02:22 PM
I'm sad our cold snap seems to be breaking so quickly. I was excited for it to be real winter, too, when I woke up to -12f (-24.444c) a couple days ago, but it was back above zero by the next day.

Yeah, it's warming up again today. On the upside, it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I like cold. I like snow. I'm very much a fan of their intersection.

Palanan
2013-12-07, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by warty goblin
Personally I'm hoping for at least one good night of -20 or -25 this year, since I'm too far south to hope for -30 or lower.

Gah. No.

I want snow, not the Pleistocene.

:smalltongue:

warty goblin
2013-12-07, 03:31 PM
Gah. No.

I want snow, not the Pleistocene.

-20 isn't that bad, so long as appropriate clothing is used. -30 is getting hard. -40 is bloody cold. I've been in a bit colder than that, but not much. It basically comes down to wearing a lot of fur, wool, leather and down. I'm not a real fan of those high-techy winter garments; either they don't work when wet, do weird things around fire, or just don't wear hard enough. Good leather lasts years.

Remmirath
2013-12-07, 04:31 PM
I'm a little jealous of you folks. It's been finally getting down in the low teens at night, but still up around twenty in the day (all Fahrenheit). So far it's been a disappointingly warm and non-snowy winter. I still hold out hope that will change; it's at least supposed to snow next week. I'd thought we were on track for a regular winter when it started getting in the thirties in October, and then in the teens a couple of times in November, but it hasn't got colder yet as it ought to have.

It never gets quite as cold here as it does where some of you live, though. It can only be expected to get down around minus twenty in the day a few days out of the winter. Single digits ought to be pretty common, though.

Elemental
2013-12-07, 04:53 PM
Meanwhile, here in Australia, we have the height of Summer to look forward to.

As for your wool socks, perhaps they were stolen by one A. P. W. B. Dumbledore?

warty goblin
2013-12-07, 11:04 PM
I'm a little jealous of you folks. It's been finally getting down in the low teens at night, but still up around twenty in the day (all Fahrenheit). So far it's been a disappointingly warm and non-snowy winter. I still hold out hope that will change; it's at least supposed to snow next week. I'd thought we were on track for a regular winter when it started getting in the thirties in October, and then in the teens a couple of times in November, but it hasn't got colder yet as it ought to have.

It never gets quite as cold here as it does where some of you live, though. It can only be expected to get down around minus twenty in the day a few days out of the winter. Single digits ought to be pretty common, though.

-40 is the rock bottom of what I've seen in Iowa, and that's very rare. I was in colder when I spent about ten days in the Canadian arctic about fifteen years ago. That was absolutely marvelous, I'd go back in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.

Since I'm living in central Iowa now, instead of almost Minnesota where I grew up, I'll be extremely lucky to see -20.

And I'm very disappointed with my new gloves. Only ten above today, and my hands still got cold, even though they're thicker than my suede ones.

Palanan
2013-12-08, 10:04 PM
Forty degrees (F) here today, raining, and my hands were cold with no gloves.

Yeah, I won't be doing fieldwork on wolverines anytime soon. Anchorage was my limit, and that was in March, when it actually got above freezing.

By a degree or two. That was enough for me. :smalleek:

Recherché
2013-12-08, 10:12 PM
-10 Farenheit over here and my car is currently in the repair shop so I've been having to bundle up in 4 layers of wool and walk a mile and a half to work. this has been giving me ideas about DMing a game set in the Artic wilderness . . .

Palanan
2013-12-08, 10:21 PM
Arctic winter. Barely any sunlight. Dark things prowling the snow.

Sounds fun. I'll bring the hot chocolate.