PDA

View Full Version : druids alternative pets with level adj 3.5

Butchdriveshaft
2013-12-06, 09:52 AM
Hello,
Brand new here to the forum.
So my question is this with a druid alternative pet level adjustment.
Lets say that I am 4th level and choose an ape for a companion.
That would be -3 level adjustment. Do it has an effective level of 1 instead of 4?
Would I decrease its stats and hp to level 1?
Does its stats and stuff increase as the druid levels? So 5th level druid it increases to level 2 animal companion?
Does it ever catch up to the druid so that it is on par level with the druid ie
5th level druid 5th level animal familiar?
If not, what would be the benefits of having an animal familiar with say -9 levels...
I am new to running druids. I realize that there are feats that can offset this some. However my topic is on the questions I asked. Thankyou

hymer
2013-12-06, 09:57 AM
The -3 to level is to the druid's level with regards only to what inherent bonuses s/he gives to his/her pet. Look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion).
If you function as level 1, you grant 0 bonus HD, 0 natural armor, 0 to str and dex, 1 bonus trick and the 'Link' and 'Share Spells' effects.
As you advance in level, going up to sixth for instance, your effective druid level with regards to this would be 6 (because you're druid 6) minus 3 (because your ape does that to you). In other words, you now look at the second tier (because it says level 3-4), and use the bonuses spelled out there.