PDA

View Full Version : Common sayings in a fantasy world. (Just for fun.)

QuidEst
2013-12-06, 11:52 AM
The idea is to take common sayings, brands, band names, or whatever and make equivalents for fantasy settings.

• Good cop, bad cop routine = Good paladin, fallen paladin routine (alternatively, paladin/antipaladin or paladin/blackguard depending on the system)

• Drunk as a skunk = drunk as a monk. (Looking at you, Drunken Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/drunken-master))

• Rock 'n roll = vrock 'n troll.

Have any fun things you like slipping in?

erikun
2013-12-06, 12:50 PM
• Good cop, bad cop routine = Good paladin, fallen paladin routine (alternatively, paladin/antipaladin or paladin/blackguard depending on the system)
I'd likely call this the "Knight and Rogue routine", or perhaps simply "good guard, bad guard" to be closer. After all, a good paladin isn't going to be associating with a fallen paladin during an interrogation, somewhat spoiling the phrase.

"Keep your beard clean" as a dwarven phrase, meaning keep out of trouble.

Axiomatic
2013-12-06, 01:23 PM
Wake up and smell the bat guano. It smells like...victory.

Edge of Dreams
2013-12-06, 01:27 PM
In one custom fantasy setting I've written and used, there's 3 moons.

The red one never moves or changes,
The white one moves randomly about the sky and has inconsistent phases
The blue one has very odd phases involving concentric rings, but its movements and phases are perfectly predictable

Thus, the phrase "Once in a blue moon" means almost exactly the opposite of what it does on Earth.

Benthesquid
2013-12-06, 01:34 PM
In one custom fantasy setting I've written and used, there's 3 moons.

The red one never moves or changes,
The white one moves randomly about the sky and has inconsistent phases
The blue one has very odd phases involving concentric rings, but its movements and phases are perfectly predictable

Thus, the phrase "Once in a blue moon" means almost exactly the opposite of what it does on Earth.

"Blue moons," as described on Earth are perfectly predictable, just rare. A 'blue moon,' as used in the phrase "Once in a blue moon," is either the second full moon appearing within a calendar month (roughly once every two or three years) or, the third full moon appearing in a season that will have a total of four full moons.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-06, 02:09 PM
"As sure as elves" is a sarcastic expression used to describe the rather vague near-immortals, most commonly used by dwarves and their allies.
"Hard as a dwarven head" is, surprisingly, used as commonly by dwarves as elves.
"Trust the father, not the son." is a common saying about humans by the longer lived races.

The Fury
2013-12-06, 02:11 PM
A character I have is polytheistic so I've been having her say "Bright Gods!" In place of "My God!"

Blightedmarsh
2013-12-06, 03:37 PM
"What would Llolth do?"
"Remember the Flumphs"
"As sure as Baator"
"Roast Elf"
"He's as sober as a dwarf"
"Dragon on high": Expect trouble
"Never trust an Elf"
"Its Zombies again"; Wensday.

ReaderAt2046
2013-12-06, 06:58 PM
I have a Fey character who swears "Iron!".

Also, common sayings include
"Iron days and nights afire!"
"Lights of heaven!"

No brains
2013-12-07, 04:44 PM
No matter the language, no matter the culture, no matter the situation, people will always think misfortune is as valuable as "Crap!"

A Tad Insane
2013-12-09, 12:16 PM
Freaking wizards!

ComatosePhoenix
2013-12-09, 12:23 PM
Wizard spell that allows the transfer of symbols from one place to another obviously the more symbols used the harder the spell is to perform, thus texting is given a legit reason for existing, and no one can ever accuse me of speaking out of character when I type "lol".