PDA

View Full Version : Melee Wizard

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-06, 12:42 PM
Is it possible to play a pure Wizard as a capable melee character? If so then how?

AstralFire
2013-12-06, 12:49 PM
Is it possible to play a pure Wizard as a capable melee character? If so then how?

Use the UA variant where you get Fighter bonus feats instead of Wizard bonus feats.

Polymorph self, tenser's transformation self. Have these spells affect your familiar, too. Make sure to pick up Arcane Strike and Power Attack.

Morbis Meh
2013-12-06, 12:49 PM

One spell: Polymorph that is all you will ever really require to be a competant front liner.

When you get access to Polymorph Any Object you can make the change permanent (devil's and higher end giants are good so are war trolls) getting access to spells like bite of the were bear are also good for melee shenanigans.

INoKnowNames
2013-12-06, 12:53 PM
The answer to any "Is it possible for X Tier 1 Character to do Role Y" question is "Depends on how many spells they dedicate to it."

At low levels, I actually saw a thread a way back that determined that Wizards using swords and fighting in melee just like a fighter were only slightly statistically more likely to die, and could just as easily kill the fighter as the otherway around, for example.

Once you add spells to the mix, however, the Wizard becomes much more capable than the fighter in melee. Lots of Buffs to make himself not get hit and survive the effects he would need to endure just to get in range, and more buffs to make his weapon damage just as compeditive as "I'm strong enough to hit it with my sword".

At higher levels, the easiest option is to just screw the idea of swordplay and just transform into something big and scary that kills whatever you're fighting. Honor and conduct in combat can sod off when you're an x-flavored giant beating other monsters into the ground... who may also be flying with x-ray vision.

And while you mention a pure wizard, prestige classes go a long way toward helping the Wizard in doing whatever he wants, and showing up the fighter is certainly on that list.

Xerlith
2013-12-06, 12:56 PM
Polymorph. Pick your form. Go to town.

EDIT: Swordsages everywhere.

Gnaeus
2013-12-06, 01:02 PM
At low levels, your melee damage will be much behind the fighter. However, An Abrupt Jaunt Conjurer has better defenses than a fighter, but will do less damage starting at level 1. By level 3-4, with False Life, Mage Armor, Blur and Alter Self, he is likely to have much better defenses than the fighter.

Your big problem is going to be level of play. A wizard designed for melee combat at level 1-6 is going to look much different than 7+. Essentially, level 1-6 you will want normal physical stats, Str & Dex. After 7, those stats are dump stats, because you will melee from Polymorph.

G.Cube
2013-12-06, 01:05 PM
At low levels, your melee damage will be much behind the fighter. However, An Abrupt Jaunt Conjurer has better defenses than a fighter, but will do less damage starting at level 1. By level 3-4, with False Life, Mage Armor, Blur and Alter Self, he is likely to have much better defenses than the fighter.

Your big problem is going to be level of play. A wizard designed for melee combat at level 1-6 is going to look much different than 7+. Essentially, level 1-6 you will want normal physical stats, Str & Dex. After 7, those stats are dump stats, because you will melee from Polymorph.

That first line is incorrect. Power attack with truestike eill have you dealing much more damage thrn the fighter.

INoKnowNames
2013-12-06, 01:07 PM
That first line is incorrect. Power attack with truestike eill have you dealing much more damage thrn the fighter.

You may be just as likely to hit, if not more, but doesn't Power Attack have a limit built in based on your BAB?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-06, 01:10 PM
As a Wizard I'm starting at Level 8.

I'm fine with Prestige Classes as long as it doesn't take away from spell casting levels.

Also, I want to melee in my humanoid form. Not having to rely on things such as Polymorph.

AstralFire
2013-12-06, 01:13 PM

I'm fine with Prestige Classes as long as it doesn't take away from spell casting levels.

Also, I want to melee in my humanoid form. Not having to rely on things such as Polymorph.

Without polymorph and as a straight wizard, your options are going to be highly limited for melee competency until Tenser's Transformation, and all that spell really does is turn you into a worse Warrior (NPC Class).

I guess if you do the Wizard/Fighter Feat variant, you can slowly pick up Power Attack and TWF along with Arcane Strike and Power TWF via Arcane Strike. Once you got Tenser's Transformation it'd almost hurt but you'd have to be very careful of dying.

G.Cube
2013-12-06, 01:24 PM
You may be just as likely to hit, if not more, but doesn't Power Attack have a limit built in based on your BAB?

I stand corrected, feel foolish now!

Gnaeus
2013-12-06, 01:29 PM

It does.

Not only that, but it takes a standard action for the True Strike. So you are only Power Attacking every other round and that only for as long as the true strikes last.

Not only that, but the fighter is using a greatsword for 2d6+bonuses. Wizard, unless he has spent a feat on Martial weapons, is using something like a spear for 1d6. Wizard could have a weapon he is not proficient with that he only uses for true strikes, but then he has to buy 2 weapons, carry them, and swap them out in combat any round when he isn't true striking.

Gnaeus
2013-12-06, 01:41 PM
Without polymorph and as a straight wizard, your options are going to be highly limited for melee competency until Tenser's Transformation, and all that spell really does is turn you into a worse Warrior (NPC Class).

I guess if you do the Wizard/Fighter Feat variant, you can slowly pick up Power Attack and TWF along with Arcane Strike and Power TWF via Arcane Strike. Once you got Tenser's Transformation it'd almost hurt but you'd have to be very careful of dying.

I agree. But all is not lost.

Melee does not necessarily mean swinging a sword. You could melee with touch attacks. Maybe some Bloodstone Armor Spikes for AoOs. Greater Invisibility will help in many fights, both offensively and defensively.

You could crank up the optimization and see if you can stack enough metamagic reducers for a Persist Wraithstrike.

Crafting Feats + GMW could allow you to break WBL and use a weapon or gear that is significantly above what an equal level fighter could afford. Getting your Boots of Speed early goes a long way towards equalizing your BaB problem, for instance.

Fighter feats could be used to pick up a couple of strikes and a stance from ToB. That might help once/combat.

Improved Familiar + high UMD could give you a buffing machine or reduce target's AC with things like tanglefoot bags.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 01:47 PM
Yes its possible, in point of fact they can become some of the best melee characters in the game with Psions being the only ones that are unequivocally better.

It's a bad use of resources for a wizard (more so than for a Cleric or Druid) but it is more than feasible.

The problem is that you are talking about doing it at level 8 and without using polymorph. The answer to that question is "not that well".

Psion would have a lot of the same feel but be much better mechanically.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-06, 02:08 PM
If you don't mind PRC's so long as you keep full casting, consider

Wizard 5 (martial wizard for improved initiative, spontaneous divination at 5th) / Ruathar 3 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7.

Ruathar is for a slightly higher HD, slightly better skills, and free matrial weapon prof without slowing spellcasting. I would pick rapier just for flavor, but longsword is a fine option.

Abjurant champion is a full bab, full casting PRC that will take your defenses to the next level.

IoSFV just makes it worse.

Andezzar
2013-12-06, 02:17 PM

Also, I want to melee in my humanoid form. Not having to rely on things such as Polymorph.You probably won't get around losing one caster level. This delays your spell progression a bit, but at least the loss in effectiveness can be compensated by Practiced Spellcaster.

If you somehow become proficient with all melee weapons (e.g. outsider, militia feat) you can get away with wizard 5/eldritch knight3/Abjurant champion 5/eldritch knight 7. Knight Phantom would be a good substitute for Eldritch knight, but would require more (semi-useless) feats.
Be sure to pick up Power Attack and persistent spell and use it on wraithstrike.