PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to add my INT mod to AC without Bladesinger.

RPGaddict28
2013-12-06, 06:57 PM
The only way I saw was Bladesinger, and that's too feat heavy for my build. I'm a wizard. Anyone know some easy ways?

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 07:00 PM
Monk 1 with Kung Fu Genius. Chaos Shuffle Improved Unarmed Strike and your Bonus Feat and you end up netting yourself a feat as well.

Doesn't work if you are wearing armor though.

RPGaddict28
2013-12-06, 07:02 PM
Monk 1 with Kung Fu Genius. Chaos Shuffle Improved Unarmed Strike and your Bonus Feat and you end up netting yourself a feat as well.

Doesn't work if you are wearing armor though.

Hmm, that seems ok if I have no other choice, totally gonna keep that in the bank.

AgentofHellfire
2013-12-06, 07:05 PM
A factotum, as well, could do it, I think. I don't recall the exact level offhand, and you might have to use Inspiration Points for it, but it could do something like that...

Heliomance
2013-12-06, 07:08 PM
X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4369.0)

bekeleven
2013-12-06, 07:10 PM
A factotum, as well, could do it, I think. I don't recall the exact level offhand, and you might have to use Inspiration Points for it, but it could do something like that...

At 3rd level, a factotum can spend inpiration for int to AC for a round against 1 opponent. At 16th level a factotum automatically gets int to AC all of the time, but only in light armor. By a strict reading these two abilities can be used at the same time.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 07:47 PM
Hmm, that seems ok if I have no other choice, totally gonna keep that in the bank.

For a wizard one level of Monk is the best AC boost in the game. You Chaos Shuffle and end up netting a feat which puts you even with a Wizard 20 in terms of feats.

Heliomance
2013-12-06, 11:01 PM
You advocate Chaos Shuffle for everything, Tippy. I know you love it, but I can't help but feel that the vast majority of good-aligned characters would not be prepared to cast or cast on them a spell called "Embrace the Dark Chaos". Not even if they were going to Shun it right after.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 11:05 PM
You advocate Chaos Shuffle for everything, Tippy. I know you love it, but I can't help but feel that the vast majority of good-aligned characters would not be prepared to cast or cast on them a spell called "Embrace the Dark Chaos". Not even if they were going to Shun it right after.

What does being good have to do with anything?

Embrace and Shun are chaotic spells and casting them is a chaotic act. Neither has the [Evil] tag.

ryu
2013-12-06, 11:08 PM
Somehow I always knew Tippy was an agent of chaos. One of the most powerful there is too.

Heliomance
2013-12-06, 11:12 PM
What does being good have to do with anything?

Embrace and Shun are chaotic spells and casting them is a chaotic act. Neither has the [Evil] tag.

The fact that they shuffle your feats via Abyssal Heritor feats. Good characters aren't going to want anything to do with the Abyss.

Eldaran
2013-12-07, 12:25 AM
I think relatively few DMs want anything to do with it either. At least from my experience no DM I know would let the chaos shuffle fly, and with good reason.

Sir Chuckles
2013-12-07, 12:31 AM

I'm going to have to agree here, if not Good than Lawful.
Also, the fact that a reasonable and sane person would slap you over the head with the DMG for doing it.
Hell, I ban it and I'm an advocate for insanity and Chaos. (Yes! Go be Robin Hood! Go burn down that house in the name of love and justice! ....but no Soufflés, please.)

Back on topic:
Duelist gives Canny Defense, which is fairly restrictive in that it's:

When not wearing armor or using a shield, a duelist adds 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) per Duelist class level to her Dexterity bonus to modify Armor Class while wielding a melee weapon.

Now I used to love my Rogue/Sorcerer/Duelist Human Weretiger back when that campaign was active, but I built around the fact that my DM let me count my Hybrid form's claws for that melee weapon requirement (Which is kinda a bad thing), but a few Transpositions and willing and/or unwilling allies=flanking=Sneak Attack.

That probably isn't what you're going for, but it can work.

Karnith
2013-12-07, 12:27 PM
The fact that they shuffle your feats via Abyssal Heritor feats. Good characters aren't going to want anything to do with the Abyss.
Possessing Abyssal Heritor feats is explicitly chaotic, and also explicitly not evil. The same goes for the spell Embrace the Dark Chaos (Shun the Dark Chaos isn't even a Chaotic spell). There is nothing wrong or evil about using the Chaos Shuffle. Per Fiendish Codex I:

The manifestation of a dormant demonic heritage is modeled by the Abyssal heritor feats. Unlike vile feats (see below), Abyssal heritor feats are not inherently evil. They are, however, inherently chaotic, since a lawful soul would have difficulty accepting the kind of strange and eldritch changes to the body and mind that such feats impose. This chaotic bent eventually affects the alignment of the character taking these feats. A character with only one Abyssal heritor feat can be of any alignment, but he immediately becomes chaotic (if he wasn't already) upon taking a second, unless he possess the Ordered Chaos feat.
(Emphasis mine)

So, by RAW, Tippy is correct. You may feel/houserule differently, and that's fine (D&D alignment fluff is frequently silly), but be aware that in so doing you are disagreeing with the rules.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-07, 12:30 PM
So, by RAW, Tippy is correct.

When isn't he? :smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-07, 12:36 PM
When isn't he? :smalltongue:

On occasion. Especially with stuff that I use fairly rarely and/or where something has been updated in another source or errata without me realizing it. Then there are the things where the RAW is somewhat iffy and/or can be read multiple ways (such as whether or not a Factotum qualifies for Craven, and whether or not a Swordsage does as well, or what counts as an innate spell like ability for purposes of Supernatural Transformation).