PDA

View Full Version : spiked chain or whip dagger build

KnotKnormal
2013-12-06, 09:26 PM
So I want to create a character who uses an exotic weapon similar to the bladed whip used in prince of Persia the 2 thrones. And I have no idea where to start. First I would need to roll up stats for the weapon itself, including it's obvious grapple damage it would be entitled to. And then I have no idea how to class this... I want to use classes already in place.

Any ideas?

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-06, 10:00 PM
There's already a whip dagger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4932364&postcount=6) in a few places. There are a few different versions, I think.

As far as a build, anything large, Willing Deformity(Tall), maybe two-weapon fighting? Improved Trip and Disarm and such? I don't know how the one in the game works.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-06, 10:04 PM
Beware using whips as a format, because, though they are cool, the mechanic for "whip" is totally awful and way more complicated than necessary (or maybe I'm remembering 3.0). Anyway, once you have a good version of the weapon that you want, Exotic Weapon Master in Complete Warrior has some nice tricks.

You also might look at Battle Dancer base class from Dragon Compendium (which compiled some Dragon Magazines). Might fit your flavor better than monk.

But...in before Unarmed Swordsage.:smallamused:

herrhauptmann
2013-12-07, 12:38 AM
Beware using whips as a format, because, though they are cool, the mechanic for "whip" is totally awful and way more complicated than necessary (or maybe I'm remembering 3.0). Anyway, once you have a good version of the weapon that you want, Exotic Weapon Master in Complete Warrior has some nice tricks.

Ranged attack at all times, even against adjacent. Provokes AOO? Doesn't hurt people in armor?
Nah, that's about right. I think whip-dagger hurts people in some level of armor though.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-07, 12:44 AM
Ranged attack at all times, even against adjacent. Provokes AOO? Doesn't hurt people in armor?
Nah, that's about right. I think whip-dagger hurts people in some level of armor though.

Yeah, I don't know why they wanted to totally make a whole combat archetype (unrealistic as it was) totally nonviable. It's not like they have good damage anyway, even if it was lethal or worked on armored targets.

Also, check out the nagaika. I don't know if it got a reprint in 3.5, but it was the way to work a whip build in 3.0, at least in my mind. Maybe just rejigger its stats for whip-dagger. I believe that it appeared in Masters of the Wild.

KnotKnormal
2013-12-07, 02:12 AM
What about using a spiked chain. Would anything change with the functionality of the build? Also what would be a good starting class? Was thinking monk or fighter.

I see this type of build being more for the flair of decapping something with a chain rather then actual combat capabilities. Opinions?

Waker
2013-12-07, 02:25 AM
What about using a spiked chain. Would anything change with the functionality of the build? Also what would be a good starting class? Was thinking monk or fighter.
Aside from wanting to wield a spiked chain, what do you want your character to do? Are you interested in special attacks like Tripping, straight damage or something else? If we know what you want to be like, we can narrow down the classes and make a suggestion.

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-07, 02:42 AM
Then just get the Vorpal quality on a spiked chain, I guess. Or if your table allows called shots, see if your DM will let you try to yank the head off a nearly dead enemy. Or just describe dropping enemies in an awesome way.

KnotKnormal
2013-12-08, 11:48 PM
Aside from wanting to wield a spiked chain, what do you want your character to do? Are you interested in special attacks like Tripping, straight damage or something else? If we know what you want to be like, we can narrow down the classes and make a suggestion.

Anything that will work really... i know tripping is a big part of using whips and chains but if i could add some flair to it like in Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones that would be awesome. sneaking an insta-kill in would be pretty cool.

KnotKnormal
2013-12-09, 01:04 AM
also is there a way that i could use skill trick in combat? like jumping off a wall straight into an enemy? Effectively I'm trying to build a more combat capable version of the Prince.