PDA

View Full Version : PC help needed, anyone techy?

ShadowFireLance
2013-12-07, 01:08 AM
So, I have a somewhat complex, and somewhat simple problem that refuses to fix itself.
It started today, about...four hours ago? The computer itself is only about a year old, so I wouldn't think it's age, otherwise life would be simple.

Anyways, The problem I'm having is that after clicking inside Firefox, it won't let me click on the 'X' button, now, I'd be fine if it was just that, but no, life can't be that simple. It has just now started not allowing me to click on the taskbar, and at one point, not even Firefox.
It only happens (Sofar as I can tell) on firefox.

I'm running a windows 8 Laptop, not sure what it exactly is, just that I didn't build it. :smalltongue:

New error, It won't let me select drop down menus either.

Another Issue; Chrome, it won't let me select the menu either. This is quite annoying.

Bhu
2013-12-07, 04:06 PM
It's possible your mouse has gone bad. Other than that all i can suggest is try Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-12-07, 07:38 PM
It's possible your mouse has gone bad. Other than that all i can suggest is try Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.
This. Windows 8 is known to have driver issues with the hardware mouse, especially if you've plugged in a second one. Gets worse if you installed 8.1.

I know it's a very stupid suggestion, but have you tried restarting? Fixes 80% of computer problems in 90% of cases something looks broken. Because it also sounds like it might just be software freezing up.

Other than that, uninstall Firefox, find a version that's 1 or 2 numbers behind the current one, install it and disable updates. Might be a compatibility issue or an update gone wrong, though doesn't sound like it if you can't click on the taskbar either.

In any case, old versions of Firefox: link (http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php). Current one is 25.0.1, so install something like 23.0.

Somebloke
2013-12-12, 08:59 AM
Dumb question- what's Malwarebytes? My computer has slowed down to a crawl for the last week and I'm seriously worried I'll have to wipe it and start from scratch unless I can solve it.

Sholos
2013-12-12, 09:17 AM
Malwarebytes is a popular and useful free anti-virus software available here (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/). Somebloke, I'd recommend starting to back stuff up in case you do need to to wipe and start over.

Lentrax
2013-12-12, 09:51 AM
Malwarebytes is a popular and useful free anti-virus software available here (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/). Somebloke, I'd recommend starting to back stuff up in case you do need to to wipe and start over.

This. Seriously, run Malwarebytes. It can work small miracles.

Barring a foreign or third party program interfering, I would say its likely a problem with windows. Of course, I always blame windows, but for a good reason.

Somebloke
2013-12-12, 12:48 PM
Norton quick scan reveals nothing. Malwarebytes quick scan reveals nothing. Full scans both result in blue screens of deaths after an hour or so.

I'm going to try removing civ 5 which was recently installed. Hope that's not the issue. Otherwise, a full purge is in order.

Erloas
2013-12-12, 01:47 PM
What is the error on the blue screen? It usually tells you what program causes the error somewhere near the middle of the screen, don't need everything.
Also check the "event viewer" in admin tools for errors. My guess is that either the hard drive is failing or the controller for it and it is only showing up when you access some of the less used parts of the drive.

shawnhcorey
2013-12-12, 07:23 PM
I know it's a very stupid suggestion, but have you tried restarting? Fixes 80% of computer problems in 90% of cases something looks broken. Because it also sounds like it might just be software freezing up.

Not stupid. Whenever I'm forced to use Windows, I reboot every night. That way I don't have to wait for it. Just turn off the monitor and go home. :smallsmile:

Krazzman
2013-12-13, 07:52 AM
First off I have no clue about Windows 8 but I assume it is bad from what I heard and read so far.

1.) get to know what sort of System you have? 32 bit or 64bit?
2.) Uninstall all browsers and then test if Opera, Chrome or Firefox (Waterfox for 64bit) are working properly and which one suites you best.
3.) Install proper anti-virussoftware. Best I know atm is Avast. (Avoid Norton/Kaspersky as they tend to slow down your system. My working PC uses Kaspersky and crashes like two or three times a week).
4.) Use your Browser only with a noscript addon. This eliminates some utility on some pages (Mangapanda for example) but really helps your PC to not being slowed down.

hope this helps.

ShadowFireLance
2013-12-14, 09:31 PM
Mouse is fine, as any other mouse repeats it.

This. Windows 8 is known to have driver issues with the hardware mouse, especially if you've plugged in a second one. Gets worse if you installed 8.1.

Other than that, uninstall Firefox, find a version that's 1 or 2 numbers behind the current one, install it and disable updates. Might be a compatibility issue or an update gone wrong, though doesn't sound like it if you can't click on the taskbar either.

In any case, old versions of Firefox: link (http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php). Current one is 25.0.1, so install something like 23.0.

Yup, Repeatedly.
Firefox isn't the problem, it happens on almost any program.

First off I have no clue about Windows 8 but I assume it is bad from what I heard and read so far.

1.) get to know what sort of System you have? 32 bit or 64bit?
2.) Uninstall all browsers and then test if Opera, Chrome or Firefox (Waterfox for 64bit) are working properly and which one suites you best.
3.) Install proper anti-virussoftware. Best I know atm is Avast. (Avoid Norton/Kaspersky as they tend to slow down your system. My working PC uses Kaspersky and crashes like two or three times a week).
4.) Use your Browser only with a noscript addon. This eliminates some utility on some pages (Mangapanda for example) but really helps your PC to not being slowed down.

hope this helps.

1) 32.
2) Firefox, most certainly.
3) I have three different ones that, no, do not conflict.
4) Doesn't seem to be an issue, as it changes nothing with the error.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Don Julio Anejo
2013-12-15, 12:08 AM
Windows 8 issue, most definitely.

Possible solution: (link) (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-tms/mouse-wont-work-with-windows-8/5f2c17b3-d016-4f86-9f84-13eccb8ab6a5).

At this point your best bet is to Google something like "Windows 8 mouse won't click" if the above thread doesn't help you. After all, this is where most of us would get our advice from anyway.

It's either a driver went wonky, or a Microsoft service that didn't need to run till just now started up and started interfering with your mouse (or touchpad?).

ShadowFireLance
2013-12-15, 10:57 PM
Windows 8 issue, most definitely.

Possible solution: (link) (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-tms/mouse-wont-work-with-windows-8/5f2c17b3-d016-4f86-9f84-13eccb8ab6a5).

At this point your best bet is to Google something like "Windows 8 mouse won't click" if the above thread doesn't help you. After all, this is where most of us would get our advice from anyway.

It's either a driver went wonky, or a Microsoft service that didn't need to run till just now started up and started interfering with your mouse (or touchpad?).

I'm Not entirely certain it's the mouse fault.
Now it won't let me move things on Desktop, like move a model into a folder.

I'm honestly lost.

Axiomatic
2013-12-16, 04:49 AM
Full scans both result in blue screens of deaths after an hour or so.

I find this rather worrying. Have you tried a boot-time scan?

Somebloke
2013-12-17, 03:55 PM
I find this rather worrying. Have you tried a boot-time scan?

In the end I did a complete scrub. It seems to have worked. Made sure my personal files were saved first.

Thanks everyone here for their advice.

Proud Tortoise
2013-12-18, 08:04 PM
Mayhap there should be a dedicated thread for computer advice. There are plenty of independent such threads... *strokes chin beardlessly* I really need to grow a beard <_<