PDA

View Full Version : Explain 13th Age to Me

Elriconan
2013-12-07, 08:25 AM
I didn't want to post this in the general thread because I don't have anything to contribute, just a very general set of questions.
I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons periodically since 1991, and I have some experience with everything from B/X to 3.5, being most conversant with AD&D followed by 3.5. I also collect/read OSRs. I've seen 13th Age come up but I am wondering whether it might be worth getting a copy, or at least browsing one at the hobby shop.

What sorts of major changes exist relative to 3rd edition? Is it related to 4e at all? How does it fit/stand with OSR games generally, and how much intercompatability is there between it and actual pre-3e and derived games? The last is one of the most important questions for me, the primary reason I didn't buy Eberron is because 3.5 is so feat/skill and numbers heavy thatb a straight conversion is so arbitrary as to make it pointless.

Kiero
2013-12-07, 08:33 AM
13th Age has nothing whatsoever to do with OSR, it's not influenced by, nor trying to be a pre-AD&D1e game.

Comparing it to 3.x is somewhat meaningless too, aside from it being D20-derived. There's little you'll find in common there beyond stuff like having ability scores.

It's closest to 4th edition, though it drops Roles altogether and removes the necessity for a grid/battlemat. In a lot of respects it's a streamlined, simplified 4e with some storygame elements added.

In any case, the SRD (http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13316)for the system is free, check it out for yourself.

Elriconan
2013-12-07, 08:45 AM
13th Age has nothing whatsoever to do with OSR, it's not influenced by, nor trying to be a pre-AD&D1e game.

Comparing it to 3.x is somewhat meaningless too, aside from it being D20-derived. There's little you'll find in common there beyond stuff like having ability scores.

It's closest to 4th edition, though it drops Roles altogether and removes the necessity for a grid/battlemat. In a lot of respects it's a streamlined, simplified 4e with some storygame elements added.

In any case, the SRD (http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13316)for the system is free, check it out for yourself.
Thanks. So it sounds like, if I wanted to play 4e it would be the way to go for me, but otherwise it wouldn't really tie in to my D&D projects.