PDA

View Full Version : What is the range of a psion?

gellerche
2013-12-07, 09:31 AM
So Julio Scoundrel, in true swashbuckling fashion, has grabbed a rope to safety and is being pulled away from Laurin and Tarquin. He looks to be out of range from a thrown dagger by Tarquin, but how about Laurin? Is she close enough to brain-blast him/mentally command him? (Let go of the rope!)

I know that in OOTS-verse, the answer is "Laurin's range is exactly as far as the plot needs it to be.", but I'm thinking in game terms.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-07, 09:34 AM
The range is set by what powers Laurin knows. Each power has a specific range (many of which are level-dependent), just like spells in fact. So without knowing her level or which powers she has access to, we cannot know what her actual range limitations are.

NerdyKris
2013-12-07, 11:08 AM
Talk about timing. Posted 20 minutes before the strip went up that answered that question. :smalltongue:

Well, maybe not. But range isn't a factor anymore.

DiamondHooHaMan
2013-12-07, 11:13 AM
the ONLY good thing is by my calculations:

Roy+ potions+ seeing poor Haley and Elan that hurt= roaring rampage of revenge.

all together now: "YOU. HURT. MY. TEAM!" *punches Tarquins head off his shoulders and makes a Mortal Kombat joke.*

Psyren
2013-12-07, 12:33 PM
Considering that Greater Teleport's range is "anywhere on the same plane, even there" and Wormhole is likely even higher level than that, I'm going to guess that she can follow them anywhere as long as she has power points, is conscious and knows where to open it.

Hopefully V and a healed Roy can put her down for the count, or in the worst case that they can hold her off long enough for Durkon to recover.

Chronos
2013-12-07, 07:03 PM
We do know that, when the party was still mounted on Bloodfeast, Tarquin's group had to chase them using Wormhole instead of zapping them from afar, so that implies that she doesn't have anything that's too long-range.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-07, 07:48 PM
This turned out pretty much how I thought it would. Given Laurin's usage of her wormhole power up until now, I didn't really expect them to stay on the ground while the OOTS escaped on an airship.

Souhiro
2013-12-07, 07:59 PM
I don't mind the range of a psion.

What I -do- mind is that if you conjure a teleportation circle don't work that way (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/teleportation-circle)!

The circle would "move backwards" as the ship keeps moving forward. Tarquin would have only a split second to get into the Mechanicus before the tele-portal has moved back.

The giant has dissapointed me, he has failed me. He never should do this, to homebrew, or forget, or just don't mind some overlooked part of an almost-never used power from an rarely played class.
He should stop writing these comics, retire, and in his grief for his fail, become a monk.

In the other hand, a Giant Monk? a HUGE GIANT MONK? that's SCARY. A few levels and just a pinch from him, and he would deal 3d6 damage.

Never mind, Mr. Giant, keep doing your good work!!

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-07, 08:09 PM
A) Teleportation Circle is not what Laurin is using. Teleportation spells do not create portals in OOTS or in standard D&D.

B) It's called The Mechane, not Mechanicus.

Chronos
2013-12-08, 08:14 AM
Besides which, we actually know the name of the power she's using. It's Wormhole, not Teleportation Circle, so of course it doesn't work like Teleportation Circle.

How does it work? Ask the Giant-- It appears in no third edition rulebook.

Copperdragon
2013-12-08, 11:54 AM
I know that in OOTS-verse, the answer is "Laurin's range is exactly as far as the plot needs it to be.", but I'm thinking in game terms.

This depends if you are a troll or normal sized and if you wield her one-handed, two-handed or as thrown weapon. Given she does not have that much weight I'd advice against using her as weapon. Rather use a good, old fashioned big old club. With spikes if you have to.

b_jonas
2013-12-08, 02:06 PM
Why would Tarquin need a thrown dagger? He only has to cut the rope.

Animidest
2013-12-08, 02:12 PM
So, wait. What kind of a fight is it going to be? I can't quite figure it out. :smalltongue:

gellerche
2013-12-08, 05:19 PM
Why would Tarquin need a thrown dagger? He only has to cut the rope.

Because, when I wrote the post, the rope and Julio Scoundrel were dozens of feet in the air. Tarquin can't jump that high, so he would have to use projectiles if he wanted to cut it. But, as a previous poster pointed out, the point is moot because Tarquin, Laurin, and (hopefully soon) Julio Scoundrel are now already on the ship.