PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Campaign (Requesting Help)

Pokelord2
2013-12-07, 11:37 AM
Due to the poor leadership of a game that I'm playing in the world in this game is doomed. Also (somewhat as a result of said leadership) my first character in this game has died and I made a Wu Jen to replace him. When I brought in a caster (the party's ONLY true caster) my various knowledge checks informed me just how much we as a group has screwed up. Eventually I convince the group to ignore our fearless leader (but have not wrestled control from him yet) and look into one of the problems that our world faces.

The problem that we face is this: our group decided to destroy an evil artifact. But this artifact was linked to a very bad person and he would instantly know (and teleport to) whoever broke it. We had a ninja in the game and the warlock in the group convinced those who were present (the majority at least) that we may avoid alerting the bad guy if break it while the ninja was ethereal. This worked (somewhat) but what we did not realize is that this artifact caused a sort of wild surge and sundered reality on that exact spot. Now the magic that allows this particular world to exist is leaking out and if nothing is done our world (and everyone on it) will be unmade.

We have been informed that the only way to fix this is to contact the god of balance (who goes by no name so we'll just call him CoB) and tell him of the situation. The only way to contact him (apparently) is to miscast a Gate spell in a specific way. We have since acquired an item that will allow us to cast gate, an item that only myself or the warlock can use.

The problem is this: screwing up a gate spell and contacting GoB can kill or unmake you (respectively) and comes with a DC 20 Will save and a DC 20 Fortitude save (also respectively). The warlock has better saves than I do but usually the player isn't there. My total Will modifier is 7 while my total Fortitude modifier is 3, so the odds suck a lot. As a good character (who was present when the artifact was destroyed) I feel responsible for not forseeing this and doing something to stop it. So if the warlock isn't there then I'll DEFINATELY do it but I also don't want to die.

The most important thing about all this is that my character is the only character in position to take control of the group from the idiot who is currently in charge. If I die and don't take over the group then the doofus will continue to run things into the ground until they cannot possibly save the world from all the crap that is happening.

So my request is this: I need Wu Jen spells that will boost my fortitude and will saves. I am 11th level and have up to 6th level slots with an 18 intelligence. I can pretty much acquire any scroll or potion that I need but any other magic item out there is almost impossible to obtain (magic mart doesn't exist here and the warlock doesn't craft items). Wish also does not exist in spell form.

Please help me out here: help me find Wu Jen spells to help increase my survivability and save the campaign!

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-07, 12:06 PM
Get a scroll of Surge of Fortune and that will give you one natural 20 which will guarantee that you pass one of the saves.

Get another scroll of Moment of Prescience. It's minimum CL of 15 is enough to get you a +15 insight bonus to any single saving throw and that will give you +22 to Will saving throws so that you only fail on a natural one.

Pokelord2
2013-12-08, 10:51 AM
Get a scroll of Surge of Fortune and that will give you one natural 20 which will guarantee that you pass one of the saves.

Get another scroll of Moment of Prescience. It's minimum CL of 15 is enough to get you a +15 insight bonus to any single saving throw and that will give you +22 to Will saving throws so that you only fail on a natural one.

Surge of Fortune is personal cleric spell. I might be able to get this as an item (one that I can use as a Wu Jen) but it would be very costly.

Moment of Prescience doesn't fall under the usual Wu Jen style of spell so I'll have to try to convince the GM to let me use it. It's also personal, so I'll have to get it as a scroll.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-12-08, 11:14 AM
Can the warlock UMD (or someone else) the scrolls?

Pokelord2
2013-12-09, 09:52 AM
Can the warlock UMD (or someone else) the scrolls?

The warlock can UMD the scrolls but

1) The spells that have been mentioned so far are personal only.

2) The warlock's player isn't consistent with showing up and we foxhole characters whose player isn't there. If 'go time' rolls around and he's not there then it falls to me.

Heliomance
2013-12-09, 12:15 PM
Such a shame that you A) don't have 9th level spells, and B) are unwilling to die. It seems like a perfect opportunity for Transcend Mortality, out of Complete Mage. For one round per level, gain:

DR 30/epic
SR 21+CL
Energy resistance 50 to all elements except force
Immunity to ability damage, disease, poison, energy drain, death effects
+10 enhancement to all saves
Don't need to eat, drink, or breathe

When the spell expires, you die and your body is disintegrated. Wonderful spell that I would love to use someday :smalltongue:

Hyena
2013-12-09, 12:20 PM
It's wonderful and all that, but does it blend persist?

Red Fel
2013-12-09, 12:22 PM
Alternatively, find a Diamond Mind item - you know, the items that let you "know" maneuvers while you have them equipped? - that contains Moment of Perfect Mind and Mind Over Body. The former lets you substitute a Concentration check for a Will save; the latter does the same for a Fort save. Both have the added bonus of turning a 1 into an is-not-an-automatic-fail. Since you're a caster, I assume your Concentration is excellent.

The catch, of course, is that ordinarily you can't use two immediate actions in one turn, although if it's not combat, the DM may waive that requirement.

Heliomance
2013-12-09, 12:33 PM
It's wonderful and all that, but does it blend persist?

Sadly not. For some reason it's (D)ismissable.

Harlot
2013-12-09, 03:56 PM
Can't you just hire a random caster to do it? (or is that where the 'personal' comes in?)

Otherwise 'Red Fels Diamond Mind Item solution' is brilliant.
A Belt of Battle could grant you an extra action that round (full, standard or move) so you may be able to have two immidiate actions in one turn - or rather, two actions in immidiate succession.

Red Fel
2013-12-09, 04:03 PM
As an additional aside, on those Diamond Mind saves, if you happen to be Psionic, remember that you can expend your Psionic Focus to be able to take 15 on a Concentration check. That's 15 + your Concentration modifier, which I assume is fairly high.

Pokelord2
2013-12-11, 11:50 AM
Alternatively, find a Diamond Mind item - you know, the items that let you "know" maneuvers while you have them equipped? - that contains Moment of Perfect Mind and Mind Over Body. The former lets you substitute a Concentration check for a Will save; the latter does the same for a Fort save. Both have the added bonus of turning a 1 into an is-not-an-automatic-fail. Since you're a caster, I assume your Concentration is excellent.

The catch, of course, is that ordinarily you can't use two immediate actions in one turn, although if it's not combat, the DM may waive that requirement.

This one seems slightly feasible. The problem is that my character left home because people were pressuring him to be a martial character. His 'guardian spirit' guided him into being a Wu Jen.

Can't you just hire a random caster to do it? (or is that where the 'personal' comes in?)

Otherwise 'Red Fels Diamond Mind Item solution' is brilliant.
A Belt of Battle could grant you an extra action that round (full, standard or move) so you may be able to have two immidiate actions in one turn - or rather, two actions in immidiate succession.

It's unlikely we could find another caster who is willing to cast the spell. Most casters we've encountered are on the enemy's side and others have no particular inclination to helping us (even though we are trying to save the world o.0).

The belt of battle is the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I love every second of it. I should be able to convince the GM to let me have two immediate actions with that item. However, by this point I would have to acquire THREE magic items, two of which are not really in the area of expertise of the person I'm getting them from.

As an additional aside, on those Diamond Mind saves, if you happen to be Psionic, remember that you can expend your Psionic Focus to be able to take 15 on a Concentration check. That's 15 + your Concentration modifier, which I assume is fairly high.

Indeed my Concentration is decent (it's maxed out and I have a 0 Con Mod so it's 14). We have not yet encountered any psionics yet in the campaign but knowing the GM, it's likely going to be out of reach for me.

Red Fel
2013-12-11, 12:11 PM
This one seems slightly feasible. The problem is that my character left home because people were pressuring him to be a martial character. His 'guardian spirit' guided him into being a Wu Jen.

That actually creates an interesting juxtaposition, then. The Martial Discipline items don't actually require you to be a martial character; they simply grant you the knowledge and skills needed to execute a single maneuver. So your character isn't actually becoming a martial character, he's simply drawing on their style and skill. If you want to fluff it, you can make it more like a spiritual influence; these are items used by warriors, and he is drawing on the spirit of those warriors to perform their feats.

In a sense, this gives you an opportunity for character development - confronting your past. Your character became a Wu Jen, in part, because he was escaping a fate as a martial character. Now, in order to save himself and the world, he must embrace, at least in part, the potential he ignored when he undertook the path of the Wu Jen. To preserve the future, he must confront his past.

Fortunately, Martial Discipline items allow for up to third-level maneuvers on a Novice item. So you could go on a sidequest for these items, easy. Here's a sample hook. "Legend tells of two warriors, a husband and wife known as Chou, the Unbreakable Body, and Wei-Lin, the Indomitable Spirit. It is said that their will and their love was so strong that their spirits lived on in their matching diamond wedding bands." Bam. Now you go seeking a pair of gold rings with diamond settings, one granting Moment of Perfect Mind and one granting Mind Over Body. Now it's not just a shopping trip, it's an adventure. And guided by the spirits of two ancient warriors, you will be able to summon up the strength to stop an apocalypse.

Probably.

... Or you could just buy them in a store for 3k gp apiece.

Grollub
2013-12-11, 12:35 PM
sounds like an interesting predicament..

first off.. if i understand correctly the world is "bleeding out" and with the passage of time.. will die out because of this artifact destroyed...

What is the BBEG doing about this... its doubtful he wanted his "precious" to be destroyed... or wants to die himself.

What the BBEG plans are, would be a high priority to find out for me.

If you are still unwilling to sacrifice yourself "for the world".. might iI suggest retreat? Find a way to transport yourself ( and the group ) to another alternate world/ plane, leaving/condemning the world to destruction... makes for a great "backstory" for your character.

BBEG plans are 1 of 2 things... he either wanted to "apocalypse" the world with his precious artifact's destruction... in which case you ask DM/anyone/ yourself... why he didn't do it before you guys did...

or he is trying to stop it/ escape the obliteration of the world.. if its escape.. steal his plans and leave too :smallbiggrin:

would net you bonus points if the BBEG is trying to stop it.. and you stop him.. saying "nah, since i was supposed to die anyway, im taking everyone with me!!:smallamused:"

Kerilstrasz
2013-12-11, 12:40 PM
I'm terribly uninformed about how that Gate item works or if my idea will even work.. but let me take a shot..

1st.
If you don't already know the answer make a Check to find out if you can use the Gate-Item on another person.
2nd.
If you don't already know the answer make a Check to find out if the "other person" will still need to roll the saves if he "travel" in ethereal form.
3rd.
Send the ninja!

you want to go with him??
enlarge him, minimize yourself, let him hold you in his hand and "wield you as a club" :smalltongue:

well.. maybe i went too far.. at i hope i gave you some ideas

illyahr
2013-12-11, 01:51 PM
sounds like an interesting predicament..

first off.. if i understand correctly the world is "bleeding out" and with the passage of time.. will die out because of this artifact destroyed...

What is the BBEG doing about this... its doubtful he wanted his "precious" to be destroyed... or wants to die himself.

What the BBEG plans are, would be a high priority to find out for me.

If you are still unwilling to sacrifice yourself "for the world".. might iI suggest retreat? Find a way to transport yourself ( and the group ) to another alternate world/ plane, leaving/condemning the world to destruction... makes for a great "backstory" for your character.

BBEG plans are 1 of 2 things... he either wanted to "apocalypse" the world with his precious artifact's destruction... in which case you ask DM/anyone/ yourself... why he didn't do it before you guys did...

or he is trying to stop it/ escape the obliteration of the world.. if its escape.. steal his plans and leave too :smallbiggrin:

would net you bonus points if the BBEG is trying to stop it.. and you stop him.. saying "nah, since i was supposed to die anyway, im taking everyone with me!!:smallamused:"

This was my idea. Neither you nor the BBEG want the world destroyed as you both have to live in it. If anyone has a decent Diplomacy score, try to convince him to work with you. :smalltongue:

Pokelord2
2013-12-14, 01:36 PM
These are all awesome responses.

1) The ninja's player recently quit because... apparently he suddenly has a job now. Uh huh. Besides, it's really the warlock's fault for screwing this up since he insisted on doing this from the Ethereal plane.

2) I'm not sure the GM would see it your way but I like the idea of confronting my past in order to save the world.

3) We don't know what the BBEG's (I'm assuming this means Big Bad Evil Guy) reaction is to this. In fact, we havn't heard from him since we broke the thing. We suspect (as a group) that he left the world and took his buddies with him. We have three other BBEGs to deal with so if this is the case and we fix the problem then we are 1/4th done with the campaign. The BBEGs of the campaign came in from other worlds in hopes of stealing the stuff that makes up our world. This broken artifact made it impossible for one of them to get their piece.

4) Since my character is the one who owns the gate item (it looks like a wand so I suspect it functions like a wand despite wands not capable of using 9th level spells or being useable once per day) I might actually ditch the world if it looks like all is lost.

5) In regards to the martial stuff: I think it would be cool to have to 'confront my past' in order to save the world. The only problem is that even if the GM lets me get the items (or multi-class into a martial disclipline class) I still need to convince him to let me have 2 immediate actions. He also doesn't like the Tome of Battle so that might be an issue.

6) The saving throw issue is a problem for me because I'm the 'caster'. It's like how Mordenkainen's Dysjunction has that chance of destroying an artifact and the caster has to make a will save or lose all spellcasting ability. I can't pass it off by 'having someone else nearby' or by 'teleporting really fast'.