PDA

View Full Version : Elixer of Healing

blelliot
2013-12-07, 12:03 PM
By the formula given in the DMG, the cost of a one shot "elixer of healing" (as the spell heal) , which would be a wonderous item, would be 3300gp. Now the question I have is, would having these be dropped by monsters as possible loot be a game breaker? I came up with this as an alternative to having an evil cleric travel with every higher level group of bad guys the party will encounter later in the game, since potions of cure serious wounds will take you only so far in a fight.

qwertyu63
2013-12-07, 12:11 PM
By the formula given in the DMG, the cost of a one shot "elixer of healing" (as the spell heal) , which would be a wonderous item, would be 3300gp. Now the question I have is, would having these be dropped by monsters as possible loot be a game breaker? I came up with this as an alternative to having an evil cleric travel with every higher level group of bad guys the party will encounter later in the game, since potions of cure serious wounds will take you only so far in a fight.

Eh. Rather powerful, not all that gamebreaking. Just make sure you don't hand out too many.

Eladrinblade
2013-12-10, 01:50 PM

Well, there's always bards/rogues/experts/prestige-classes with UMD or Deceive Item.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-10, 02:52 PM
Yes, I would simply have a few monsters drop some cross class points in UMD and scroll it, though the potion wouldn't be a horrid thing.

I have considered making a feat chain for higher level potions.

Brew potion for 0-3rd level spells
Brew Concoction (req 4th level spells and brew potion) for 4-6th level spells
and Brew Elixer (7th-9th level spells)

Telok
2013-12-10, 04:50 PM
I have considered making a feat chain for higher level potions.

Brew potion for 0-3rd level spells
Brew Concoction (req 4th level spells and brew potion) for 4-6th level spells
and Brew Elixer (7th-9th level spells)

Nah, just use Craft Wonderous Item. A single use, use activated, wonderous item costs the same as a potion of it's level and there's no spell level limits. Plus you can make them into metal playing cards that have pictures of the spells on them so that your illiterate barbarian can't use the wrong one because he can't read the label.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-10, 05:28 PM
Nah, just use Craft Wonderous Item. A single use, use activated, wonderous item costs the same as a potion of it's level and there's no spell level limits. Plus you can make them into metal playing cards that have pictures of the spells on them so that your illiterate barbarian can't use the wrong one because he can't read the label.

Make sure to add embossed braille dots or something for him to be able to tell them apart if he's temporarily blinded.:smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2013-12-10, 06:34 PM

Just put the pictures on the label.