PDA

View Full Version : Prediction--Elan's Prophecy

Lheticus
2013-12-07, 01:04 PM
As posted in the current comic discussion thread, here is my prediction for Elan's prophecy:

Elan will pull a Sherlock v. Moriarty and send Tarquin and himself off the side, killing them both. This qualifies as his happy ending since by doing this, the remainder of the Order is saved. The "for you, at least" means that the comic will end without the Order of the Stick concluding their final adventure--ending the story comic, but not the story of the Order, thus being both an ending, and not a true ending for the other members of the Order.

I've re-worded the prediction a bit for clarification from my post in the comic discussion thread. Please share any thoughts you have about this, I look forward to it. ^_^

Kish
2013-12-07, 01:59 PM
I think, of all the characters in the comic, Elan is the least likely to parse "it's a classically sad ending, but it's happy because what that specific character wants most is to die for the others" as "it's a happy ending."

Sir_Dr_D
2013-12-07, 02:32 PM
I am almost positive that Elans happy ending prophecy happened already. Everyone of the other characters prophecies (well expect for Roy who asked the plot related question) was tied to a key moment of that character's character growth. They all had more meaning then they originally appeared to have had.

And then in a strip titled 'happy ending' every one of the happy ending moments that Elan wanted, happened. This was a key moment in his character growth as he realized the happy endings he wanted were childish.

The exact wording of hi question was 'Will this story have a happy ending', and inside of the context of the story there was a happy ending. The fact that it was illusionary doesn't matter. It still qualifies.

NerdyKris
2013-12-07, 02:44 PM
And then in a strip titled 'happy ending' every one of the happy ending moments that Elan wanted, happened. This was a key moment in his character growth as he realized the happy endings he wanted were childish.

The only argument against that is that the commentary in War and XPs explicitly stated that Elan's prophecy was to reassure the reader that even when things get bad, we will know that some things will happen to ensure Elan's happy ending.

Although I suppose we won't know for sure until the end of the story. But I don't think Elan is going to die here. He's the heart of the team. Also, I don't see how they wouldn't simply stop the airship and go down and look for him, then raise him with the diamond dust we know Durkon still has. (He stated he had enough left for one more attempt.) He isn't falling into water. He's falling onto sand. There would be a very visible and bloody mess where he went splat.

Kish
2013-12-07, 03:38 PM
The only argument against that is that the commentary in War and XPs explicitly stated that Elan's prophecy was to reassure the reader that even when things get bad, we will know that some things will happen to ensure Elan's happy ending.
No, there are other arguments against it, trust me. :smallsigh:

(The Oracle did not say, "Not telling, but you'll have a happy moment." The Oracle did not say, "You'll think so.")

Lheticus
2013-12-07, 06:28 PM
Good point, good point...yeah, thinking about it I seriously doubt Elan could count his own death as a happy ending. I still submit it may be possible that, due to the Oracle's exact phrasing--"Yes--for you, at least"--that Elan's prophecy means that his is the only story that truly ends when the Order of the Stick Comic ceases. I haven't been following the debate on Elan's prophecy for long, so to paraphrase a comedic saying, stop me if you've heard that one before.