PDA

View Full Version : Does Elan have a last name?

Neosmith
2013-12-07, 02:38 PM
Hey, everybody, I was wondering about something.

I noticed that Elan's last name never really comes up in the series, even though thus far we've met several members of his family.

So, does Elan have a last name, but it's never mentioned? Or does he, along not have a last name at all?

By extension, do neither Nale and Tarquin not have a last/family name?

And is this a naming convention that is common among bards?

Aron Times
2013-12-07, 02:44 PM
Spoiler from one of the Kickstarter comics:

Elan implies that it's something like McTarquinson or something.

Sir_Dr_D
2013-12-07, 02:45 PM
His last name has never been revealed. There has been no indication on whether he or his family has a last name or not.

Personally I believe that by the end of the comic his last name will be revealed, but I don't have anything to back that up with.

Taelas
2013-12-07, 02:46 PM
He either doesn't have a last name, or he doesn't use it. That's really all we know.

He uses the title 'the Bard' when other people would use a last name.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-07, 02:50 PM
I think I know what Elan's last name will be revealed to be:

Starshine.

NerdyKris
2013-12-07, 02:52 PM
I'm almost positive Rich implied there was a reason for that at some point, that it would spoil a plot point, but I might be imagining it. Also, it was pre-Tarquin, so he might have been referring to Tarquin's relationship to Elan. Perhaps there was once more lead up to the reveal and Elan's last name is "Tarquin".

Neosmith
2013-12-07, 02:56 PM
Spoiler from one of the Kickstarter comics:

Elan implies that it's something like McTarquinson or something.

Hmmm... I was thinking that it might be something like that if they were going by the patronymic system, like Thor Odinson for the Thunder God.

Thanks!

I guess there is an intentional omission here, given that all the other human members of the OOTS have last names. I wonder what the significance if, if any.

[sWc]Konman
2013-12-07, 03:21 PM
Obviously he is saving it for a properly dramatic moment (a la the newly ennobled Diago).

Chronos
2013-12-07, 07:01 PM
The Kickstarter strip actually has him unsure about his own last name.

Gnome Alone
2013-12-07, 09:10 PM
The Kickstarter strip actually has him unsure about his own last name.

Yeah, he actually says something like, "[...] whatever my last name is. I don't know, McTarquinson or something?"

I kinda suspect it's like V's gender, in that it wasn't notable until it was noticed, and now it's more amusing to not know.

I kinda think it's actually just "Tarquin," and that the elder Tarquin's first name is something else. You know, like, for example, "The Devil." Or maybe Linus. Yeah, Linus Tarquin and his wacky wonder twins.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-08, 01:53 PM
McTarquinson? That's hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2013-12-08, 01:56 PM
"Elan tha Bard" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0931.html)

First Name: Elan
Middle Name: tha
Last Name: Bard

He has some dwarven ancestry.

Turgon9357
2013-12-08, 07:06 PM
My head-canon is also that Tarquin is the last name, and that T has a really embarrassing first name. Probably Anel.

DaggerPen
2013-12-08, 07:26 PM
Yeah, he actually says something like, "[...] whatever my last name is. I don't know, McTarquinson or something?"

I kinda suspect it's like V's gender, in that it wasn't notable until it was noticed, and now it's more amusing to not know.

I kinda think it's actually just "Tarquin," and that the elder Tarquin's first name is something else. You know, like, for example, "The Devil." Or maybe Linus. Yeah, Linus Tarquin and his wacky wonder twins.

McTarquinson. Oh, my sides. I really do hope we get a Kickstarter story collection for sale at some point in the near future for those of us who couldn't participate in the Kickstarter.

NerdyKris
2013-12-08, 07:30 PM
McTarquinson. Oh, my sides. I really do hope we get a Kickstarter story collection for sale at some point in the near future for those of us who couldn't participate in the Kickstarter.

Unfortunately, we've only gotten two of the eight stories so far. We won't be getting all of them in the near future, let alone a compilation.

Shadowknight12
2013-12-09, 05:54 AM
I think I know what Elan's last name will be revealed to be:

Starshine.

After the marriage.

This was actually a somewhat common medieval/renaissance custom. When a man had no surname (due to orphanhood or illegitimate birth), it was expected for him to take his wife's.

b_jonas
2013-12-09, 12:02 PM
See Mysteries of the Stick thread from a few months ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-307488.html) for my speculation on his last name.

Yendor
2013-12-09, 12:10 PM
I think the chances that Elan's mother kept Tarquin's last name -- if he even has one -- are virtually zero.

Gnome Alone
2013-12-09, 10:08 PM
I think the chances that Elan's mother kept Tarquin's last name -- if he even has one -- are virtually zero.

True, but the way I figured it, it'd be more like she never told him what his last name is or if he had one and he, being Elan, never thought anything of it. Thus it would default to Tarquin though he didn't know it. It's probably just something mundane, though. Comic #1289: "Hey, Elan, what's your full name, anyway?" "Elan Smith. Why?"

Trillium
2013-12-10, 02:14 AM
Since Elan is the bard of his party, and its most likely that it is him, who tells this story (as a bardic legend)... I think his last name is Burlew! :smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2013-12-10, 02:26 AM
Elan's family hales from a region with different grammatical requirements. Rather than a surname, all people of the line are required to have a specific letter in their name.

The Tarquin line consonant is N.

Forrestfire
2013-12-10, 02:28 AM
After the marriage.

This was actually a somewhat common medieval/renaissance custom. When a man had no surname (due to orphanhood or illegitimate birth), it was expected for him to take his wife's.

And also because revealing his last name would elevate his narrative status, even if it's just a bit.

Gotta save that sorta stuff for an emergency. :smalltongue:

Fale
2013-12-10, 02:53 AM
I don't believe he has although it's an interesting discussion. Rich made it clear in the Dungeon Crawling Fools and the first news post when the comic first went up, that he didn't actually plan a story line at all. It originally was to be a gag-a-week kind of comic to simply increase his traffic here, not knowing anything would come from it.

For this reason, it would be strange if it ever become relevant to the plot. On the other hand, it could be something he used later on and he was lucky no to provide Elan with a last name.