PDA

View Full Version : Jello lich template and oozologist

CaDzilla
2013-12-07, 03:15 PM
Some wizards study oozes to find out how if they are made from magic or are simply natural. Some of these ooze experts engineer use their knowledge to discover how to fuse with an ooze and retain their intellect. Thus, these people become jello liches.

Jello lich is an acquired template that can be added to any spellcaster with 10 levels of oozologist. The oozologist fuses with their ooze familiar to become a jello lich. They replace all of their physical ability scores with the ooze and all of their HD become d10s. Their type changes to ooze, they gain the ooze's hit dice, and they gain all special qualities of the ooze they merged with.

Oozologist
1st level-Ooze familiar, +1 spellcasting level
2nd-summon ooze 1/day+1 spellcasting level
3rd +1 spellcasting level
4th alter self at will +1 spellcasting level
5th summon ooze 2/day +1 spellcasting level
6th +1 spellcasting level
7th+1 spellcasting level
8th summon ooze 3/day+1 spellcasting level
9th+1 spellcasting level
10th Polymorph self at will, Jello lich transformation,+1 spellcasting level
HD: d10
skill points: (2+int mod)
Summon ooze: summon number of oozes whose total HDs equal yours
Ooze familiar: replace your familiar with an ooze of equal level to you. Familiar advances as normal, but does not gain hit dice nor intelligence.
Requirements: any alignment
9 ranks in knowledge(nature/arcana/dungeoneering)(all of them)
Must have eaten at least one ooze

Chronos
2013-12-08, 07:44 AM
This needs a lot more work.
* You don't have any saves or BAB.
* The ooze familiar as it stands doesn't make sense: It's an ooze with the "same level" as you, but it doesn't advance HD? Does level here mean number of hit dice, or challenge rating, or what? Is "level" your total character level, or level in this class?
* And what do the other familiar advancements mean, for a creature with Int --? It can't have skills, it can't communicate meaningfully (with you or with other creatures of its kind). What can you even direct it to do? An ooze's standard procedure is basically "if I sense a creature, eat it".
* You have almost no requirements, including no spellcasting requirements (despite full spellcasting advancement) and no requirement to have a familiar (despite replacing it).
* Speaking of the requirements, what's knowledge (nature/arcana/dungeoneering)? Does that mean that ranks in any one of those will work, or do you need all three? And what are Nature and Arcana doing in there, anyway? They have nothing to do with oozes.
* And that special requirement, must have eaten an ooze... What oozes are even edible? Does eating an ooze have any consequences in itself? Does one have to eat the whole thing (because that could take a while even for your standard pudding or jelly, much less for a gelatinous cube), or is a single serving enough?
* This class has a d10 HD and full spellcasting advancement. That's too good, especially for its sparse requirements. Why would anyone ever want to stay in their base class instead of taking this?
* Gaining the special qualities of an ooze is problematic. For one thing, that includes the Mindless quality. Oozes can also have things like Split.
* Can you cast spells as an ooze? Can you talk? Can you use items?

CaDzilla
2013-12-08, 11:46 AM
The idea is that this creature is basically a skull and hands suspended in ooze like when you put fruit in jello. The ooze familiar is chosen from some oozes that have the same number of HD as you that you can switch out for another ooze of equal HD. i.e. if you are 15th level, you can get a black pudding of 15 HD, but it does not get any extra HD or intelligence. Also the jello lich does get the mindless quality because its skull is protected by a thick layer of jello that absorbs the mental effects. The split quality makes the lich split, but one of the resulting oozes is a regular ooze. Also, most Oozes have a dex score of 1. What caster level do you recommend for this classes requirements? The ooze can be eaten by shrinking it and then ingesting. What should the progression of this class be?

Rephath
2013-12-08, 03:09 PM
"Jello" is a copyrighted term for gelatin, or more specifically a flavored gelatinous dessert. This would constitute trademark infringement. Not a big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

Legendxp
2013-12-08, 10:02 PM
I had the exact same idea for a class except that I hadn't written it down yet. :smallfrown: I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me making a similar ooze-based class, I didn't want to offend you by posting it so shortly. It would be more based on a ranger/druid and it would be a base class, not a prestige class.