PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Ditto
2014-01-04, 05:23 PM
Q264
If you have sufficient sneak attack available as a spellthief, can you employ each of your abilities separately from a single attack?

That is, when you hit with +3d6 sneak attack, can you Steal a Spell, Steal a Spell Effect, and Steal Energy Resistance, for a net of Zero sneak attack damage?

Q265
Is there any way to boost your effective Class level for the spellthief's Absorb Spell ability, or is it strictly based on your character's actual class level?

Q266
Is there any way to boost the number of stolen spell levels a spellthief can retain above his actual class level? Master Spellthief does not seem to help with this.

Flame of Anor
2014-01-04, 06:22 PM
Q 267

Is the Book of Exalted Deeds 3.5 material or 3.0? If 3.5, I'll need solid evidence.

Karnith
2014-01-04, 06:52 PM
Q 267

Is the Book of Exalted Deeds 3.5 material or 3.0? If 3.5, I'll need solid evidence.
A 267
The Book of Exalted Deeds is 3.5. It was published in October 2003, several months after the 3.5 core books were published (July 2003), making it one of the early 3.5 books. Additionally, the 3.5 errata page (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) includes the Book of Exalted Deeds with 3.5 books, rather than with 3.0 books.

An example of the 3.5 rules use in the Book of Exalted Deeds is the use of revised skills; creatures and classes in the book use 3.5 skill names rather than the 3.0 equivalents (e.g. Survival instead of Wilderness Lore and Intuit Direction, or Sleight of Hand instead of Pick Pocket).

Niwrad
2014-01-04, 07:30 PM
Q. 268

Are there any immediate action conjuration spells? One that could be used with cloudy conjuration to temporarily block line of sight?

Ditto
2014-01-04, 08:00 PM
A268
Stand is immediate action Conjuration. Now you just need a friendly prone character...
This website might be useful in future questions like this. (http://www.imarvintpa.com/DnDLive/FindSpell.php)

unseenmage
2014-01-05, 03:22 AM
Q269

What would the Class Skills for an Awakened Construct or Minor Servitor be?

Or do they have no Class Skills as they are based on the Animated Object which doesn't even have skill points?

bekeleven
2014-01-05, 06:33 AM
The 3.0 spell "Speed of the Wind" grants the subject a +4 enhancement bonus to dexterity and a -2 enhancement penalty to constitution.

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies.

Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies.

[Source] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm)

Q270 The wording for enhancement bonuses doesn't seem designed to include penalties, so I included the general stacking rule. As Enhancement bonuses are non-stacking, I think penalties would default to that ruling. Can you, in fact, have two enhancement modifiers on the same roll?

Andezzar
2014-01-05, 06:43 AM
A 270 Kind of

There is no enhancement penalty in 3.5 AFAIK. The spell in question is from an unupdated 3.0 book, as such the DM is encouraged to make slight adjustments to make it work in 3.5. One of those adjustments could be to remove the word enhancement.

You can have more than one enhancement bonus, but those bonuses do not stack, only the highest one applies.

Khedrac
2014-01-05, 06:59 AM
A 270 additional It is also usually assumed that by default, penalties from different sources do stack.

The logic behind this is (I think) because the "no stack" rule explicitly states "bonuses" and the effect of losing one's dexterity bonus to AC not affecting dexterity penalties makes clear the ruleset's assumption of difference between bonuses and penalties.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-05, 07:41 PM
Q271

Are there any other lists of canonical 3.5 diseases aside from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#disease and lycanthropy?

Karnith
2014-01-05, 08:11 PM
Q271

Are there any other lists of canonical 3.5 diseases aside from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#disease and lycanthropy?
A 271

The Book of Vile Darkness has a number of additional diseases, on pages 29-32.

Delcor
2014-01-05, 08:26 PM
Q272

With regards to the spell Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium)

What penalties does a character incur from fighting with 4 arms?

1H sword, shield, 2H sword?
x2 2H sword?

do dual wield feats apply?

qwertyu63
2014-01-05, 10:08 PM
Q273:

I have a question about the feat Spell Mastery. The text in question is as follows (emphasis mine):

Each time you take this feat, choose a number of spells equal to your Intelligence modifier that you already know. From that point on, you can prepare these spells without referring to a spellbook.

To "know" a spell, do you have to be a high enough level to cast it? Or is having it in your spellbook enough?

Ditto
2014-01-05, 10:51 PM
A273
Having a spell in your book = 'Knowing' for a wizard. The entry under spellbooks does not place any restrictions on spells you have learned from other wizards' spellbooks, such as 'no recording high level spells beyond your understanding'. You are still limited in preparing only spells of a spell level that matches your daily allotment, but if you really wanted to apply Spell Mastery to a spell even though you can't prepare & cast it yet... go for it.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-06, 01:31 AM
Q274

Wall of Magma says: "The wall need not be vertical but must rest upon a firm foundation..." Also: "...the intense heat causes flammable materials in contact with the wall of magma to catch fire instantly."

Are there rules for things burning? If I put a WoM horizontally along the ground and lay wooden planks on top of it they will catch fire...at what point does RAW say that they are consumed?

Q275

How much force does it take (e.g. from Explosive Runes) to blow a crater in the ground? Assume packed earth; I couldn't find hardness or HP totals anywhere.

TuggyNE
2014-01-06, 02:17 AM
A274: Presumably when they take enough fire damage to run out of HP.

Andezzar
2014-01-06, 02:29 AM
A 270 additional It is also usually assumed that by default, penalties from different sources do stack.Can you back that assumption up by a rule?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-06, 04:48 AM
Re: A 270 additional
Can you back that assumption up by a rule?
That's the basic stacking rule, which I've quoted here many times:
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies.

kkplx
2014-01-06, 05:31 AM
Q 276

This Necromancer Guidebook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1049211) mentions "Black Water" as a means to reproduce the effects of a desecrate spell - unfortunately I have been unable to locate the according sourcebook with a complete description.

Karnith
2014-01-06, 07:13 AM
Q 276

This Necromancer Guidebook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1049211) mentions "Black Water" as a means to reproduce the effects of a desecrate spell - unfortunately I have been unable to locate the according sourcebook with a complete description.
A 276

The spell is Blackwater Taint, and can be found in the book Stormwrack.

Chronos
2014-01-06, 10:27 AM
Q 277:

Will a True Seeing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm) spell reveal the true form of a creature petrified by Flesh to Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fleshToStone.htm)? True Seeing would ordinarily "sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things.", but would Flesh to Stone, being an instantaneous effect, count as "transmuted"?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-06, 10:55 AM
A 277 Yes.

Flesh to Stone is a Transmutation spell, and True Seeing can discern the true form of a transmuted thing (i.e., one which has been subject to a Transmutation in the past). True Seeing has no exclusions based on spell duration, and the true form of a creature turned to stone is inherent in their transmuted shape: i.e., when the spell is reversed with Stone to Flesh it becomes the original creature rather than just a flesh statue.

Ditto
2014-01-06, 12:15 PM
Bumping in case someone with Spellthief knowledge has turned up to help me...

Q264
If you have sufficient sneak attack available as a spellthief, can you employ each of your abilities separately from a single attack?

That is, when you hit with +3d6 sneak attack, can you Steal a Spell, Steal a Spell Effect, and Steal Energy Resistance, for a net of Zero sneak attack damage?

Q265
Is there any way to boost your effective Class level for the spellthief's Absorb Spell ability, or is it strictly based on your character's actual class level?

Q266
Is there any way to boost the number of stolen spell levels a spellthief can retain above his actual class level? Master Spellthief does not seem to help with this.

Metahuman1
2014-01-06, 12:20 PM
Q 228 Where, precisely, does it say rules as written that a PC may only take one template on a character?

Reason: I built a character with more then one template, and one of the other players upon learning that the DM had knowingly allowed this before I got to the session protested, claiming RAW that this can't be done. We didn't want to stop the game cold for an unknown period of time before we found this ruling cause the protesting player swore he'd read it somewhere but couldn't remember which book for certain, so I took the nerf and removed it down to 1 template.

And if I had not done this I would have later made a save that kept my character from getting unnecessarily screwed, which chain reaction-ed into the rest or of the party getting screwed.

And since I'm presently building back up characters in the event that this one dies, I want to make sure of weather this guy is right, or if he's in error.

Ditto
2014-01-06, 12:39 PM
A228 (278)
Apparently, they don't say that.

Adding More Than One Template
In theory, there’s no limit to the number of templates you can add to a creature. To add more than one template, just apply each template one at a time. Always apply inherited templates before applying acquired templates. Whenever you add multiple templates, pay attention to the creature’s type—you may add a template that makes the creature ineligible for other templates you might want to add.

Karnith
2014-01-06, 12:41 PM
Q 228 Where, precisely, does it say rules as written that a PC may only take one template on a character?
A 278

There is no such rule. A creature may have any number of templates applied to it; there is no special exception for PCs in this regard. The character must meet the requirements of the templates applied, of course, and said templates applied to PCs must not be Level Adjustment: -, but otherwise a character is free to have multiple templates. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingMoreThanOneTemplate):

In theory, there’s no limit to the number of templates you can add to a creature. To add more than one template, just apply each template one at a time. Always apply inherited templates before applying acquired templates. Whenever you add multiple templates, pay attention to the creature’s type—you may add a template that makes the creature ineligible for other templates you might want to add.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-06, 01:50 PM
Bump

Q275
How much force does it take (e.g. from Explosive Runes) to blow a crater in the ground? Assume packed earth; I couldn't find hardness or HP totals anywhere.

Ditto
2014-01-06, 01:54 PM
Q278
The text of Manyshot specifies using arrows. With Quick Draw, a character can draw darts just like arrows. Can you Manyshot with darts?

Ditto
2014-01-06, 02:00 PM
A275ish

There doesn't seem to be a mechanic for blasting craters, or hardness/hp data for earth. Common sense suggests packed earth would fall between Leather (2hard/5 hp/inch) and Wood (5hard/10 hp/inch), erring on the side of Wood.

Might I recommend Disintegrate for your crater-having needs? :smalltongue:

ninjamaster1991
2014-01-06, 02:28 PM
Q279

Can a Warforged take the Dragonscale Husk ACF, and will it provide any bonus?

Xaroth
2014-01-06, 03:13 PM
Q 280

Is there anything that allows numerous spells to be cast by uttering a single word? (not including Power Word Stun/Kill)

Sith_Happens
2014-01-06, 03:42 PM
A 280

I don't know about "one word" (since the specifics of verbal components are left to the imagination), but Arcane Fusion is a straightforward two-spells-for-the-price-of-one.

Nettlekid
2014-01-06, 05:12 PM
Q281
Since you can take your hand off of a weapon as a free action, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a) could you two-weapon fight by using a two-handed weapon and then taking your hand off of the weapon to make Unarmed Strikes, taking penalties as appropriate for the different attacks?

Andezzar
2014-01-06, 05:16 PM
A 281

Yes, but it is even easier than that. An Unarmed Strike can be performed with any part of the body, so you do not need to remove one hand from the two-handed weapon (since no rule states what action is required to put it back). Either way, unless you have Improved Unarmed Strike or similar ability, you would provoke an AoO doing that. Armor spikes would also work without ever provoking.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-06, 07:58 PM
A 278 No.

As you've ascertained, Manyshot is specific to arrows; it won't even work with other projected weapons (such as sling bullets and crossbow bolts), let alone thrown missiles. You can use Rapid Shot with darts, however.

Humble Master
2014-01-06, 08:12 PM
Q 282
The monster Phiuhl from Fiend Folio has several special qualities listed (Immunity to Acid, Damage Reduction 20/+2 Electricity Resistance 20, Immunity to Fire, Poison Immunity, SR 21) that are not elaborated on in the creature's text. Are these abilities Extraordinary or Supernatural or something else entirely?

OREO
2014-01-06, 08:19 PM
Q283
RE: Silence Spell

Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevails in the affected area. All sound is stopped: Conversation is impossible, spells with verbal components cannot be cast, and no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area. The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary unless cast on a mobile object. The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any. Items in a creature’s possession or magic items that emit sound receive the benefits of saves and spell resistance, but unattended objects and points in space do not. This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks.

Say there's a situation where we have a PC and a Tiny animal sharing the same space (square)… the tiny animal was the target of a successfully cast Silence Spell (target failed Will save). I'm curious if the Will save applies only to the intended target, and its possessions as described in the above quote, or if the PC sharing the same space or any PC within the spells radius for that matter would also receive a chance at a Will save? It seems to me that RAW is saying only the target and target's possessions (as explained above) have the opportunity at a Will save/SR…

TuggyNE
2014-01-06, 09:38 PM
A283: Only the target can save or use SR against the spell.

alaalba_123
2014-01-06, 10:02 PM
Q284 How many feats do you get, not counting bonus feats, and at what levels?
My group is playing only with online source material and is using the rule of you start with 1 feat, and do not get any more unless specified by your class or race. So as a bard with a race that does not get a bonus feat, I only get 1 feat before epic level. Is this correct, and if not, where can I find the correct rule online? I cannot seem to find anything supporting this, but the only things I can find that contradict it are specifically labeled as variant rules.

Karnith
2014-01-06, 10:25 PM
Q284 How many feats do you get, not counting bonus feats, and at what levels?
My group is playing only with online source material and is using the rule of you start with 1 feat, and do not get any more unless specified by your class or race. So as a bard with a race that does not get a bonus feat, I only get 1 feat before epic level. Is this correct, and if not, where can I find the correct rule online? I cannot seem to find anything supporting this, but the only things I can find that contradict it are specifically labeled as variant rules.
A 284

Feats are gained at a character's first Hit Dice/character level, and at ever 3 Hit Dice/character levels thereafter (3, 6, 9, 12, etc.). This information can be found in the Player's Handbook, on page 87 (among other places), but to the best of my knowledge was not included in the SRD, as is the case with most information regarding the process of leveling up.

nyjastul69
2014-01-06, 10:34 PM
A 284 The answer to this question violates the OGL. You can find the answer on page 22 of the 3.5 PH.

Codyage
2014-01-06, 10:49 PM
A 284 The answer to this question violates the OGL. You can find the answer on page 22 of the 3.5 PH.

A 284 dispute

Looking at this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) On the table of Increasing Hit dice, all types are said to have feats = 1 + 1 per 3 HD.

So all creatures with the type on the table, get 1 feat, and a feat every 3 HD. So this is the OGL answer.

nyjastul69
2014-01-07, 12:07 AM
A 284 dispute

Looking at this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) On the table of Increasing Hit dice, all types are said to have feats = 1 + 1 per 3 HD.

So all creatures with the type on the table, get 1 feat, and a feat every 3 HD. So this is the OGL answer.

Apologies abound. My bad.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-07, 12:26 AM
A 282

There are online answers to some of these questions, either in the Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm) treatment of the SRD (originally from Monster Manual), or in the Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary).

Resistance To Energy: A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.

damage reduction: A creature with this special quality (extraordinary or supernatural) ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks.

Spell Resistance: Spell resistance is the extraordinary ability to avoid being affected by spells.
If there's no specification anywhere, then the ability remains untyped.

kkplx
2014-01-07, 12:46 AM
Q 285

A: Do prestigeclassing Wizards gain their usual 2 spells known per level if the prestigeclass advances caster level, and if no, is that RAW or RAI (Errata/Q&A)?
B: If yes, does this still apply to the 1 new known spell for every spell level per levelup granted by Elven Generalist Wizards?

edit: thanks andezzar, I got confused with PF rules and 3.5

Andezzar
2014-01-07, 01:47 AM
A 285

A) It depends on the PrC in question, two examples:

When a new archmage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level.

From 2nd level on, when a new eldritch knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class.

B) If A is yes, B is also yes. If A is no, B is obviously no.

kkplx
2014-01-07, 02:30 AM
Q 286

Does the Prestige class Loremaster's Secret "applicable knowledge" let you ignore requirements for the feat you want? ("Any one feat")

Gnaritas
2014-01-07, 05:42 AM
Q287:
If burning hands would deal 1 damage, but the damage is halved because the reflex save is made, would it still deal 1 damage because of the minimum damage of 1 rule?

Hamste
2014-01-07, 06:31 AM
Q 288

Say a character moves out of a square threatened by an opponent with greater invisibility (who he didn't know was there) and the character gets hit with an attack of opportunity. Can the character choose to stop moving right away or do they have to continue the move they declared.

Khedrac
2014-01-07, 07:20 AM
A287 Yes the minium of 1 applies.

Rift_Wolf
2014-01-07, 07:25 AM
Q289

Would casting a stat enhancing spell (eg Owls Wisdom) on a character with that stat drained to 0 provide a temporary solution? I understand it wouldn't work with Con/Bears Endurance as the character would be dead, but with other stats they either enter a coma or are paralysed.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-07, 08:12 AM
A 289

Yes, the spell would raise the character's ability score above zero and allow them to act normally again for the duration.

hokorippoi
2014-01-07, 02:02 PM
Q290

On the information for a "Dire Weasel", it says "An attached dire weasel can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself". The last part makes it sound like "attached" counts as being grappled.
Is that so?

If so:
Can you ride a mount that is grappling someone?

The plan is to ride a mount that if it grapples someone, I will shot the person being grappled with a bow.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-07, 02:03 PM
A 286 No.

Unless there's an explicit statement which says you ignore prerequisites, the standard rules remain in effect. Loremaster's "Applicable knowledge" Secret doesn't include any such statement. You may choose any one feat, with the normal prerequisite requirements.

A 288

D&D doesn't have declared actions except in a very few special cases (example: the Stunning Fist feat). Characters can do anything they want, within what's allowed by the rules, at any and all parts of their turn.

killem2
2014-01-07, 02:45 PM
Q 291" If a Blinded Person gains true seeing, can they see again?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-07, 03:09 PM
A 291 No.

True Seeing makes the subject's vision see things truly; it does not provide vision where none exists.

Humble Master
2014-01-07, 09:52 PM
A 282

There are online answers to some of these questions, either in the Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm) treatment of the SRD (originally from Monster Manual), or in the Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary).

If there's no specification anywhere, then the ability remains untyped.Q 292
So would there be any way to get these "untyped abilities"? Because even Shapechange just says:

You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form

Curmudgeon
2014-01-07, 10:48 PM
A 292

Only with the consent of your individual DM.

Somensjev
2014-01-07, 11:44 PM
Q 293 do multiple instances of obtain familiar give you multiple familiars?

Ditto
2014-01-08, 02:17 AM
A293
No. One familiar only.

A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time.

Q294
A Glyph of Warding lets you build a spell into the glyph-trap. It says you may put 'any harmful spell'. Are there any parameters for what constitute 'harm'? More specifically: Can you build a Transformation spell into the glyph, since losing spellcasting ability would arguably harm a wizard?

Somensjev
2014-01-08, 03:20 AM
A293
No. One familiar only.

Q295 but that only says classes, are feats restricted by that?

Sith_Happens
2014-01-08, 05:00 AM
A 295

Taking the same feat more than once provides no additional benefits unless the feat description specifically says so.

Chronos
2014-01-08, 09:45 AM
A 293 continued:

There is, however, a feat called "Extra Familiar", from Dragon Magazine 280, that will do what you're looking for. It can be taken multiple times, and stacks with itself (except that the bonuses to skills etc. from having a familiar don't stack).

Curmudgeon
2014-01-08, 11:31 AM
A 294

There is no comprehensive RAW answer to this question, but some parameters can be gleaned.
Usually a harmful spell allows a target to make a saving throw to avoid some or all of the effect. The Saving Throw entry in a spell description defines which type of saving throw the spell allows and describes how saving throws against the spell work.
All examples of specific harm in Player's Handbook involve directly dealing damage (including ability damage). Most summoning spells are disallowed with Glyph of Warding.
Summon monster I and similar spells are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.
Your Spell Glyph example would not be allowed, because you cannot make the trigger be dependent on spellcasting capability or ability scores and thus cannot guarantee harm by a Transformation which would alter those scores or prevent spellcasting.
... glyphs can be set according to physical characteristics (such as height or weight) or creature type, subtype, or kind. Glyphs can also be set with respect to good, evil, law, or chaos, or to pass those of your religion. They cannot be set according to class, Hit Dice, or level.

Tubercular Ox
2014-01-08, 12:10 PM
Q296

Can an Archivist use Planar Touchstone > Catalogues of Enlightenment > Higher Order ability to scribe a scroll of his or her ability?

What I've gleaned:

Scribe Scroll feat says you have to know the spell
Item Creation (Scroll) rules say you have to have the spell prepared
DMG says you can sub a spell completion, spell trigger, or spell like ability usage in place of a prepared spell. It consumes one charge of the item when you do this.
Catalogues of Enlightenment lets you cast a spell exactly as if you prepared it, but does not appear to be either a prepared spell or a spell like ability.

Having now consulted four references, two of which conflict, I'm curious if there's a fifth reference that can resolve the dilemma.

broodax
2014-01-08, 12:13 PM
A 294 Additional logical deductions since RAW does not actually answer the question. "Harmful" spells are not defined, but "Harmless" spells are, in the section on saving throws.

(harmless)
The spell is usually beneficial, not harmful, but a targeted creature can attempt a saving throw if it desires.

It specifically notes that it's the opposite of a harmful spell. I think you could pretty easily convince most people that any spell that allows a save and isn't (harmless) is a harmful spell.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-08, 12:52 PM
A 294 I think you could pretty easily convince most people that any spell that allows a save and isn't (harmless) is a harmful spell.
Really? I have a hard time seeing harm in Divination spells like Analyze Dweomer and Discern Lies. Their effects may be unwelcome, but they don't hurt anything.

Heliomance
2014-01-08, 01:15 PM
Q 297
Are there rules anywhere for how much it costs to get, say, a Colossal or Colossal + version of a weapon? If not, is it the same price as a normal sized weapon?

Tubercular Ox
2014-01-08, 01:34 PM
A297
Edit update: I was wrong. AaEG is 3.0. Keep reading.

Arms and Equipment Guide page 4 says each size category up increases price and weight by 50% over the previous category. Example given is a throwing axe: 4 lbs small, 6 lbs medium, 9 lbs large; 8gp, 12gp, and 18gp.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-08, 02:00 PM
A 297 [correction]
Arms and Equipment Guide page 4 says each size category up increases price and weight by 50% over the previous category.
I'm afraid Arms and Equipment Guide, being a 3.0 book, is referring to the old weapon size system, which was discarded in the change to 3.5 rules.
Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much. The AaEG figures are clearly in disagreement with the actual 3.5 Player's Handbook rule here.

There is no "Colossal+" weapon size. For sizes outside those given in Player's Handbook, these rules from page 152 of Rules Compendium apply:
COST
This value is the weapon’s cost in coins. The cost includes all miscellaneous gear that goes with the weapon, such as a sheath. This cost is the same for a Small or Medium version of the weapon. A larger version costs twice the noted price per size category larger than Medium. A smaller version costs half the price per two size categories smaller than Medium (round up).

WEIGHT
This is the weight of a Medium version of the weapon. A larger version weighs twice as much per size category larger than Medium. A smaller version weighs half as much per size category smaller than Medium. Thus Colossal weapons weigh and cost 16x as much as Medium weapons.

Ditto
2014-01-08, 03:31 PM
294 follow up

A 294

There is no comprehensive RAW answer to this question, but some parameters can be gleaned.
All examples of specific harm in Player's Handbook involve directly dealing damage (including ability damage). Most summoning spells are disallowed with Glyph of Warding.
Summoning spells are specifically listed here as an example of something you might do with the Spell Glyph function, so that cannot be the standard definition of 'harm'. I'm not sure where the passage you quoted is coming from, Curmudgeon...

If the spell summons creatures, they appear as close as possible to the intruder and attack

Your Spell Glyph example would not be allowed, because you cannot make the trigger be dependent on spellcasting capability or ability scores and thus cannot guarantee harm by a Transformation which would alter those scores or prevent spellcasting.

I'm not worried about the trigger, that can be set on the standard parameters listed. There are always going to be people who aren't harmed by a spell, even an obviously harmful one like Fireball - if you have a ring of fire immunity, it doesn't hurt you, but that doesn't mean the spell shouldn't trigger. If Transformation zaps a Barbarian, oops. If it zaps a wizard, definitely harmful. If a spell can be at all harmful, then I think it falls to Broodax's suggestion - the only ones clearly disallowed as Harmful are the ones labeled (Harmless).

Q298
Can you sneak attack when activating an item like Lens of the Desert? It 'creates a beam of focused sunlight that is the equivalent of a Sunbeam spell'. That's one step further removed from a weapon, or casting a weapon-like spell from a scroll or wand... I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a general 'do a thing that makes damage, apply sneak attack to it'.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-08, 03:57 PM
Q299

According to d20srd Reincarnate is a Druid-only spell. I was SURE it was cleric as well...did it used to be cleric in a prior version, am I delusional, or (unlikely) is there an error on the SRD site?

Q300

If a vampire drains a 5HD victim's Con to 0, how long is it before the creature rises as a vampire? Energy drained victims take several days, but it's not specd for con drain.

Andezzar
2014-01-08, 04:15 PM
A 299

Neither. It is indeed not a cleric spell, but the Renewal domain grants it. The Renewal Domain (SpC p. 279) is not OGL material and as such not mentioned in the SRD.

INoKnowNames
2014-01-08, 05:06 PM
Q 301

Is there any Sorcerer/Wizard, Cleric or Druid spell that enables the user to fly at least at their own land speed but without changing their form?

Edit: Let's try this again. Say you have a land speed of 100 ft.. Are there any spells that would let you fly at that speed or higher without changing forms, rather than flying at a set or reduced speed?

Andezzar
2014-01-08, 05:15 PM
A 301

Fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm) fits the criteria as long as your land speed is not greater than 60, Overland Flight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/overlandFlight.htm) fits as log as your speed is 40 or lower.

Heliomance
2014-01-08, 05:23 PM
A 297 [correction]
I'm afraid Arms and Equipment Guide, being a 3.0 book, is referring to the old weapon size system, which was discarded in the change to 3.5 rules. The AaEG figures are clearly in disagreement with the actual 3.5 Player's Handbook rule here.

There is no "Colossal+" weapon size. For sizes outside those given in Player's Handbook, these rules from page 152 of Rules Compendium apply: Thus Colossal weapons weigh and cost 16x as much as Medium weapons.

Q297 Clarification
The Epic Level Handbook introduces Colossal+ as a valid size category. While this is a 3.0 source, there is no reason to beieve that 3.5 stops it from being a valid size category. With that in mind, why should there be no Colossal+ weapon size? What size weapon would a Colossal+ creature wield? A dragon is perfectly capable of wielding a Mouthpick weapon, so the question is pertinent.

Metahuman1
2014-01-08, 05:59 PM
Q 302 I'm away form books right now, but i'm trying to work on a character while it's slow at work, so I need an answer to this question.

What is 9th level WBL?

gawwy
2014-01-08, 06:19 PM
Q 303 in savage species there is the feral template that states you get 2 claw attacks. it states the damage of these claw attacks is 2d6. does that mean that you get 2 claw attacks at 2d6 each or does it mean that attacking with both claws is considered as a single attack doing 2d6 damage.

tl;dr large feral 2 x 2d6 claw attacks or 1 x 2d6 claw attack.

CyberThread
2014-01-08, 06:37 PM
Q 304 If you are making a character of level 8, and you use a race of +2 LA.

Using the LA buyoff system , Would I still be making a character of level 6 with a handful of extra XP and dealing with the +1 LA,

OR

Would I be Level 7, with a spare bit of xp and still have to deal with the +1 LA?

Ditto
2014-01-08, 06:38 PM
A302

Wealth by level is not OGL. You'll have to look it up.

Heliomance
2014-01-08, 06:41 PM
Q305]
What happens if you use Psionic Shot with a ray that deals ability damage?

gawwy
2014-01-08, 07:25 PM
Q 306 Feral gives claws and improved grab that states that when the claws hit an enemy they are pulled into your square. if i get an amulet of natural attacks with thrown(and probably returning) can i use my claws as a throwing weapon and if it hits initiate improved grab to pull them into my square?

Q 307if the answer to 306 is yes am i required to scream get over here every time i do it?

Urpriest
2014-01-08, 07:39 PM
Q 304 If you are making a character of level 8, and you use a race of +2 LA.

Using the LA buyoff system , Would I still be making a character of level 6 with a handful of extra XP and dealing with the +1 LA,

OR

Would I be Level 7, with a spare bit of xp and still have to deal with the +1 LA?

A 304

Neither. If you were actually making a character of ECL 8, you would be making a character of character level 7 with +1 LA, with no extra XP. If instead your DM gave you a fixed XP budget (as they might to balance out your use of LA buyoff), you would use that number.

CyberThread
2014-01-08, 07:55 PM
Thank you for the clarification

Curmudgeon
2014-01-08, 08:05 PM
A 297 Clarification
The Epic Level Handbook introduces Colossal+ as a valid size category. While this is a 3.0 source, there is no reason to beieve that 3.5 stops it from being a valid size category.
Colossal+ is a virtual size category which applies only to dragons; there is no actual increase in size. The 3.5 version of this is in Draconomicon on page 99:
Colossal+ Size: Although there is no size category larger than Colossal, the largest advanced dragons have a greater reach and deal more damage with their attacks than other Colossal dragons. Because there is no size larger than Colossal, there are no weapons larger than Colossal.

A 298 No.

You do not qualify for sneak attack unless you both make an attack roll and deal damage. Activating a Lens of the Desert does not involve any attack rolls.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-08, 10:02 PM
Bumping this; I edited it in shortly after posting 299 and I think it got missed due to the lag.

Q300

If a vampire drains a 5HD victim's Con to 0, how long is it before the creature rises as a vampire? Energy drained victims take several days, but it's not specd for con drain.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-08, 10:24 PM
A 300 Same as with energy draining.

A humanoid or monstrous humanoid slain by a vampire’s energy drain rises as a vampire spawn 1d4 days after burial.

If the vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD.

The way I am reading this indicates that the first sentence establishes the baseline for the create spawn ability. It works on humanoids and monstrous humanoids only and takes 1d4 days.

The next part indicates that using blood drain will result in different vampire-type creatures depending on the victim's Hit Dice, but doesn't actually modify anything else about the ability. It should still only work on humanoids and monstrous humanoids, and it should still take 1d4 days to happen.

bekeleven
2014-01-08, 10:44 PM
Two questions.

Q308 Dampen Magic from Complete Champion causes magical weapons to have lower enhancement bonuses when attacking the target. If the weapon's enhancement bonus is reduced below +1, "its masterwork bonus still applies."

Does this mean that the weapon is still a magical weapon, and its damage is still magic (for purposes of damage reduction, etc)?

Q309 Resurrection and its spell line restore subjects to "full hit points, vigor, and health." This is not a game-defined term. Can I safely assume that it roughly equates to healing the same statuses as Heal?

I ask because, while ability damage is a form of affliction to a target and, well, damage, ability drain is permanently changing the target's body/mind. For this reason, Heal does not restore ability drain.

Does resurrection/true resurrection heal ability drain?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 12:04 AM
A 308 No.

A weapon which has only a masterwork enhancement bonus is not treated as magical.
Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters.

A 309 Ask your DM.

Hit points are a well-defined game term, but "vigor and health" aren't. "Health" equating with Heal is a reasonable assumption, but not specifically backed by RAW. The Vigor spell (Spell Compendium, page 229) simply restores hit points, so making such analogies doesn't adequately decipher this phrase. Your individual DM will have to decide the specific benefits entailed here.

bekeleven
2014-01-09, 12:20 AM
A 308 No.

A weapon which has only a masterwork enhancement bonus is not treated as magical.

Q 310 As a followup: If somebody cast Dampen Magic at CL20 (subtracting 3 from enhancement bonuses), then cast Starmantle on themselves (all nonmagical weapons are instantly destroyed upon attacking the target), could they destroy the minor artifact Hammer of Thunderbolts (treated as a +3 Returning Warhammer) and/or the epic weapon Holy Devastator (+3 Holy Longsword when not wielded by a Paladin)?

alaalba_123
2014-01-09, 02:21 AM
Q311 Is an LA+1 race with one level in an Player Class considered to have the 1,000 experience required to attain 2nd level, or must they attain 3,000 experience to level their character up once?

Andezzar
2014-01-09, 02:38 AM
A 311 Correction:

As a character with LA +1 and one class level you are an ECL 2 character. As such you must have at least 1000 XP, otherwise you cannot use that combination. So you would need an addition 2000 to get to ECL 3.

To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

Khedrac
2014-01-09, 07:22 AM
A 298 part 2 - partial
Gust of Wind and similar spells can potentially move and knock down creatures - depending on their size.
Explosive Spell metamagic will knock creatures out of the area of the Shout but I don't think it knows anyone down.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 09:26 AM
Q312: What kind of action is it to close one's eyes? I saw something about closing your eyes in response to a gaze attack which seems to imply it would be an immediate action. Is there a rules citation to confirm or deny this?

Q313: Can immediate actions interrupt one another? Assuming that the above is accurate, if a player closes their eyes to avoid being demoralized, can another player activate a wand of Lesser Celerity to interrupt the eye closing, thus gaining a move action to demoralize via Fearsome armor?

Q314: Can a swift action interrupt a readied action? In this case, a player has readied an action to demoralize a foe who "does anything including closing his eyes." Said foe gestures with his hand, triggering the readied demoralize. Does this same foe have time to close their eyes now, as the hand gesture is what triggered the readied action? Or since the player readied this action on their turn, does it trump any swift actions taken by the foe now that it is their turn?

Eaglejarl
2014-01-09, 11:14 AM
Q315

Can a spell trap contain spells that vary between castings? For example, a PAO trap that turns the person triggering it into whatever they want? It feels really wrong to me but I'm not sure if it's explicitly forbidden.

As an aside: thank you all for being willing to answer all these questions. The gitp boards are, in Google's opinion, THE definitive source for rules advice, and you guys are really generous with your time. It's really helping the story I'm writing.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 12:46 PM
A 310 No.

Dampen Magic only suppresses the enhancement bonus of magic items (which is all that matters as far as DR/magic is concerned), and leaves other magical properties unaffected. The weapon is still magical, which means Starmantle's only effect in this case would be to add a Reflex save for half damage to the weapon attacks.

A 312 A free action.
Each character within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw (which can be a Fortitude or Will save) each round at the beginning of his turn.

An opponent can avert his eyes from the creature’s face, looking at the creature’s body, watching its shadow, or tracking the creature in a reflective surface. Gaze attacks aren't strictly attacks in the standard D&D sense, because they don't happen on the "attacker's" turn. Averting or closing your eyes to avoid a gaze attack happens only when it's your turn. An action which takes negligible time but is performed on your turn is the characteristic of a free action. Immediate actions, by contrast, have a strict limit of one use per round, and there's no such restriction here; you can avert your eyes from multiple gaze attacks, and doing so does not prevent you from taking swift/immediate actions later in that turn.

A 313

Yes, immediate actions can be made in response to other immediate actions, as long as the 1 per round per character limit is maintained. (That's not relevant to the situation you proposed in the previous question, though.)

A 315 No.

All decisions about spell effects are made by the item (trap) creator when it is crafted, and only after the DM has agreed to the trap's components.

Volcanomon53
2014-01-09, 01:58 PM
Q316

Using the custom crafting rules, can a continuous item be combined with the charges per day condition? Taken to its extremity, that's essentially a 1/day 24-hour spell effect, while greatly reducing the costs involved, which seems overpowered to me.

Q317

On a similar note, is there a limit on how many additional abilities one might add together on items in the same body slot? (So, would something like a Hand of Glory + Amulet of Tears + 2 Constitution + Mage Hand be a legal combination of items?)

As an aside, thank you for taking time from your busy days to answer these questions.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-09, 01:58 PM
Q318: Do penalties for attacking with oversized weapons apply to the violent thrust option of the telekinesis spell when it's being used to hurl weapons? It seems to me like it would apply since the spell description provides any specific exceptions to the generic weapon & attack rules, but I have a player questioning why it would be harder to throw a larger weapon with your mind.

Also, thanks as always to all those who answer and provide clear/concise citations (namely Curmudgeon on my last round of questions)! :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 02:35 PM
A 316 No.

Continuous is not 24 hour duration; it's actually continuous (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/continuous?s=t&path=/). You either have a fixed number of daily uses or not.

A 317 Ask your DM.

All nonstandard magic item creation questions are resolved only by your individual DM.

A 318 Yes.

Telekinesis has no language overriding the usual weapon attack rules, except to impose additional range constraints. The spell also does not grant proficiency with any weapons, change range increments, or make melee-only weapons (those with range increment "—") suitable for hurling. (The spell specifies that "other objects", meaning all items without a standard hurled damage figure, deal damage based on their weight.)

Andezzar
2014-01-09, 02:35 PM
Q 316

No, an item either provides a continuous effect or is activated one or several times per day. What you could do is take an effect that already lasts 24 h or more and make it activated 1/day. This however would not give any cost reduction beyond the cost for 1/day.

A 317

Except for a veto by the DM (as with all custom items) there is no limit. Don't forget though that any ability after the first gets a 50% cost increase (so be sure to enchant the most costly ability first).

I would have provided the answers first if it weren't for that blasted meddling Swordsage Curmudgeon

kkplx
2014-01-09, 03:44 PM
Q 319

Is the Manyjaws Spell affected by damage reduction (and therefore applying said damage reduction to every single d6)? (Not Spell resistance or Energy Resistance)

Andezzar
2014-01-09, 04:03 PM
A 319

No, the damage is caused by a spell, not a weapon or creature. Additionally the spell deals unnamed damage and not bludgeoning piercing or slashing damage (the jaws do not get bite attacks). Only the latter three are subject to DR.
A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks.
[...]
The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

DustyBottoms
2014-01-09, 06:41 PM
Q 320

When using Divine Metamagic, if you don't have enough turn attempts to fully burn on a usage of a metamagic'd spell, does it still work to reduce the spell slot used?

For instance, if I persist a 1st level spell but only have 4 turn attempts, can I use those to make the persisted 1st level spell take a 3rd level slot, or can I not use Divine Metamagic?

bekeleven
2014-01-09, 06:50 PM
A 320 No.

You must pay the full cost (1 Turn Attempt per level adjustment + 1 for DMM), or else you cannot use the metamagic reduction at all.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 06:50 PM
A 320

Divine Metamagic works as described, or not at all.

Rossebay
2014-01-09, 06:56 PM
Q 321
What's the Level Adjustment on the Shade template from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting?

Nirhael
2014-01-09, 07:22 PM
Q255

Making a Malconvoker and reading up about Bull Rush, it sounds like it could be used defensively to push an ally out of an area that's about to be blasted with some crowd-control/damage spell. How would one go about willingly failing the check? Oh and I'm assuming that'll provoke attacks of opportunity for both the bull rusher and the one being bull rushed if they were in an opponent's threat area.

e.g. Fiendish Ape uses Bull Rush on a friendly Dwarven Barbarian fighting an Orc in melee, who is aware of what it's about to do and not resisting.

Q256

Somewhat of an extension to the prior question, since summons act on the same round as their summoner, if the latter were to cast a Fireball in an area where the summon is currently moving out of (from bull rushing a Dwarven barbarian), would they be caught in the blast or not? Thinking the answer is no but just want to make sure.

Thank you.

Bumping this up and an additional question:

Q322

Considering the fact that Intelligent Items have a minimum of of two 12s and a 10 in their mental stats, could they take class levels and cast spells?

e.g. An Intelligent hat with 12 Int, 10 Wisdom and 12 Charisma taking a level in Sorcerer and casting Charm Person to get a "host".

Somatic requirement is probably the main thing I'm wondering about, could flailing about work or would they require appendages to actually cast?

Metahuman1
2014-01-09, 08:14 PM
Q 323

What book and Page Number is the "Invisible Spell" feat found on?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 08:38 PM
A 321 +5

This is contained in Table 8-1: COMMON MONSTROUS ADVENTURERS on page 288 of the book.

A 323

Cityscape, page 61.

Thurbane
2014-01-09, 09:16 PM
Q 324

When an Initiate feat has a req of "Cleric level 1st", does this mean you need at least one Cleric level to take it, or that the feat must be taken at the same level of your 1st level of Cleric?

Q 325

Is there any way to qualify for Initiate feats with a requirement of "Cleric level X", without actually being a Cleric?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-09, 09:58 PM
A 324

That's the minimum requirement before you can take the feat, not a co-requisite. From page 79 of Player's Guide to Faerûn:
A unique characteristic that distinguishes at least some clerics from others is the availability of deity-specific spells—spells that only certain deities grant. Only Cyric grants his clerics the skull of secrets spell, for example, and only Mystra’s clerics can cast holy star. A character can achieve this distinction by taking an initiate feat, such as Initiate of Cyric or Initiate of Mystra, which is available only to clerics of the specified deity. Most such feats require some minimum cleric level as well. In addition to a general benefit, an initiate feat adds deity-specific spells to the cleric’s spell list.
A 325 No.

questionmark693
2014-01-09, 10:10 PM
Q 326

How do you tell the class skills of a monster for the skill points they get based on their HD?

Karnith
2014-01-09, 10:14 PM
Q 326

How do you tell the class skills of a monster for the skill points they get based on their HD?
A 326

Any skill listed in a monster's description is a class skill for its racial HD. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm#skills):

This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.

The Skills section of the creature’s description recaps racial bonuses and other adjustments to skill modifiers for the sake of clarity; these bonuses should not be added to the listed skill modifiers.

An asterisk (*) beside the relevant score and in the Skills section of the descriptive text indicates a conditional adjustment, one that applies only in certain situations.(Emphasis mine)

unseenmage
2014-01-09, 10:27 PM
A 326

Any skill listed in a monster's description is a class skill for its racial HD. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm#skills):
(Emphasis mine)

Q327

How do you tell the class skills of monsters made by spells that do not have statistics blocks?

Or the Class Skills for monsters without Int and without listed skills that are Awakened?

Thurbane
2014-01-09, 11:01 PM
A 327

For any creature with no listed skills, all skills derived from RHD are considered cross classed.

As a side-note, I don't believe awakening mindless creatures guarantees that they get retrospective skill points for RHD.

Naanomi
2014-01-09, 11:27 PM
Q328 If you 'trade in' all your class levels to a PRC that lets you do such things (Example: Defiant PRC) do you lose all your weapon/armor proficiencies gained from those traded in class levels (potentially leaving you with none)?

Thurbane
2014-01-10, 03:11 AM
Q 329

If you have a weapon in your main hand, and a buckler strapped to your other arm, can you still use the Deflect Arrows feat with your free hand? If so, do you still get the buckler's Shield bonus to AC for that round?

Q 330

Can a Half-Dragon Duergar use it's Enlarge Person ability on itself, or does it become ineligible as it's type is not Humanoid?

Codyage
2014-01-10, 06:03 AM
Q 329

If you have a weapon in your main hand, and a buckler strapped to your other arm, can you still use the Deflect Arrows feat with your free hand? If so, do you still get the buckler's Shield bonus to AC for that round?

Q 330

Can a Half-Dragon Duergar use it's Enlarge Person ability on itself, or does it become ineligible as it's type is not Humanoid?

A 329

Yes. You explicitly have one hand free allowing you to deflect it. You never wield the deflected projectile in your off hand. However, Snatch Arrows will treat the snatched projectile like a caught weapon. Causing you to lose the AC.

Buckler

...You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. ...

A 330

No.

The regular Duergar is an invalid target for Enlarge Person since it is not a humanoid. However, a Psionic, Duergar gets expansion, which doesn't have a type restriction which does work.

Q 331 A

Does the Evangelist's Great Orator abilities, specifically "convert the unfaithful" have a duration as long as a bardic music would last?

Q 332 B
Are the Evangelist's Great Orator abilities infinite use per day, or do you need bardic music to use them?

*It says they function as bardic music but I am unsure if that is just for stacking abilities, or also durations, and usage.

Khedrac
2014-01-10, 08:26 AM
A256 Despite the way it is worded a summoned creature and it's summoner do not act at exactly the same time - that's not how D&D works.
Instead one must take its actions then the other, thus normally no-one can cast a spell while someoen else is in the middle of their action.

There are exceptions to this - immediate spells and readied actions.

So, in answer to your example, if the spell was readied to be cast it would depend on the ready trigger. If not then it would either go before the movement or after depending on the action order.

geekintheground
2014-01-10, 08:45 AM
Q257
whats the disguise check modifier for changing size category?

OMG PONIES
2014-01-10, 09:13 AM
Q258: If a character casts Fell Drain Cloud of Knives, does each round's free action attack deal a negative level if it hits and deals damage, or just the first one?

Chronos
2014-01-10, 09:22 AM
A 258:
The restriction is that any creature is only affected once by Fell Drain. It says nothing about damage in different rounds. Thus, you could drain on multiple attacks from the Cloud, but only by targeting different enemies each time.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-10, 10:40 AM
Q257 333
whats the disguise check modifier for changing size category?
A 333 -50 or more; ask your DM.

The table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#disguise) lists a -50 penalty to your Disguise check if you change your height up to 50%. Size changes normally involve a change of about -50% or +100% (i.e., a factor of 2 for most size steps).

Metahuman1
2014-01-10, 11:20 AM
Q 259 I want to create a magic Item that is slotless and let's me continuously benefit from the effect of the first level spell Persist Blade (Spell Compendium, Sorcerer/Wizard First Level Spell.). Where Can I find the Rules for how much such an Item should cost me?

Alternatively, how much should such an Item Cost me by RAW?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-10, 11:53 AM
Q 259 335 I want to create a magic Item that is slotless and ...
A 335 Ask your DM.

The rules are in Dungeon Master's Guide on page 282. Here's an excerpt.
BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES

Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.
You’ll notice, however, that not all the items presented here adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between, say, a ring of fire resistance and boots of speed—two very dissimilar items. Each of the magic items presented here was examined and modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The ultimate price for any custom magic item, based on actual worth, can only be set by your individual DM.

kkplx
2014-01-10, 12:38 PM
Q 334

Would a true-neutral aligned Necropolitan Wizard be able to prepare and cast sanctified spells? (and ignore pretty much all their drawbacks due to immunities)

I'm composing my spell list and this seems like cheese, to circumvent the "sacrifice" on those spells, if possible - at least in this case the DM would have the option of the Gods...objecting :P

Andezzar
2014-01-10, 01:30 PM
A 334

A non-evil necropolitan could cast sanctified spells, but for some spells non-good creatures are not valid targets.

Chronos
2014-01-10, 01:57 PM
A334 correction:

The ability damage is a component of the spell, not an effect. If you cannot supply the component, then you cannot cast the spell.

Andezzar
2014-01-10, 02:07 PM
A334 correction:

The ability damage is a component of the spell, not an effect. If you cannot supply the component, then you cannot cast the spell.The problem is that this component is only supplied after the spell's effect has ended. Also is there a rule that being immune to ability damage means that you do not get hit with ability damage? I thought is simply reduced the ability by 0.

Q 335

What happens when a character casts luminous armor and then puts on a bone ring (or gets immunity to ability damage thorugh other means)?

Flame of Anor
2014-01-10, 02:22 PM
A 337

I believe you would not take the damage. This is probably contrary to RAI, as it says the spell draws power from the damage, but how are you going to cancel the spell when the damage only occurs after the duration? And it never says that the damage can't be avoided.

killem2
2014-01-10, 02:48 PM
Q 338: What is the carrying capacity of a Primal Water Elemental, while it swims?

Thurbane
2014-01-10, 06:30 PM
Q 339

How far can you throw an object without a defined range? Say a Monk uses Improved Disarm to snatch a wand from an enemy, and wants to hurl it as far away as possible. How far can he throw it (assuming he is just going for maximum range, and not aiming for a specific square)? Also, what kind of action is it to throw the wand?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-10, 11:08 PM
A 339
An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet. You can throw anything you can wield as an improvised missile up to 5 range increments (or up to 10 increments with Far Shot). You aim at a square (AC 5), and hit one of the adjacent squares (within range) randomly if you miss. This uses an attack.

Your DM can decide that this range is impractically far for something as light as a wand, but this is the best RAW answer I can find.

Kazyan
2014-01-10, 11:18 PM
A 338

Nothing prevents swimming while at a medium or heavy load, but the rules for lifting and pushing/dragging specify that the load must be done so across the ground, and water is not ground. Therefore, the largest heavy load is the maximum that can be carried while swimming. For a Primal Water Elemental, this is 44,288 lb.

Metahuman1
2014-01-11, 01:25 AM
Q 340

Where, precisely, are Wild Shape Ranger and Mystic Ranger published? And is there any rule that says you can't have both on the same character?

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-11, 03:45 AM
Q 341 What is the exact mechanic for a Warforged repairing itself with the Craft (?) skill?

Pun possibly intended.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-11, 04:35 AM
A 340

The Mystic Ranger variant class is in Dragon # 336 on page 105. Wild Shape is a variant for the standard Ranger class in Unearthed Arcana on page 58 and also here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger). Because it's a variant for the standard Ranger class, you cannot by RAW apply the Wild Shape variant to an altered Ranger class.

You could talk to your DM about a house rule here, though; the parts aren't incompatible. The class features that the Wild Shape variant trades away are still available in the Mystic Ranger class; they're just granted one level later in all cases. Thus you might convince your DM to allow the Wild Shape changes on a Mystic Ranger chassis, but delayed a level: fast movement as Barbarian except 1 level later, and wild shape as Druid except also 1 level later.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-11, 08:22 AM
Q342: Can the feat Innate Spell be used on a metamagic'd version of a spell? For example, could I use innate spell to create a SLA of Empowered Fireball by assigning one 5th-level spell slot?

Q343: Can Innate Spell be used with prepared casters, who don't "know" any of their spells?

Melnir
2014-01-11, 08:58 AM
Q344

Can ability score penalties reduce ability scores to 0?

Andezzar
2014-01-11, 08:59 AM
A 344

Yes, unless the ability in question says otherwise.

ninjamaster1991
2014-01-11, 10:48 AM
Q 341 What is the exact mechanic for a Warforged repairing itself with the Craft (?) skill?

Pun possibly intended.

A 341 The warforged heals his craft check - 15 hit points for each 8-hour Craft check.

Source: Ebberon Campaign Setting p.46, if I remember right.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-11, 11:30 AM
Q345

Am I correct that levels are equivalent to HD? Specifically, a vampire can control up to twice its HD in HD of spawn/junior vamps. Vampire is a template, so I think this means a 5th level character could become a vampire and control a 10th level junior vamp. Is this right?

Q346

Since vampire is a template, vampires can continue to gain XP and advance in level. Should their junior vamps / spawn be considered party members, familiars, or summoned monsters for purposes of dividing XP?

Lord Ruby34
2014-01-11, 11:55 AM
Q347

Does the Collector of Stories skill trick apply to Knowledge Devotion? Why or why not?

Q348

Can a nonmagical weapon under the effect of Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Weapon be shattered?

Norin
2014-01-11, 12:46 PM
Q349:
Does Boreal wind from frostburn 1d4 cold damage trigger every round a creature stays within the gust and fails his fort save, or only the first initial round of the spell?
Thanks.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-11, 01:22 PM
Q350

Assume you have a handful of candles of invocation of unknown alignment. Detect evil doesn't give exact alignment. Identify only affects one item per casting. Is there an efficient way to identify the lawful evil one?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-11, 02:20 PM
A 347 Yes.
Try Again: No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something that you never learned in the first place.
The rules prohibit you from making more than one Knowledge check for the same topic (creature). Thus you make one Knowledge check and that's what you use for both creature identification and Knowledge Devotion; Collector of Stories applies to that check.

A 348 No.

For the duration of the spell affecting it, the weapon is magical. Shatter does not apply to magic items.

A 349

It's right in the spell description:
Creatures that remain in the area past the first round must make an additional saving throw each round.

A 350

Efficiency isn't a RAW topic. You can cast both Detect Evil and Detect Law to find a Lawful Evil item.

georgie_leech
2014-01-11, 02:24 PM
A350
You could use Detect Law (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/detect-law--2488/) in conjunction with Detect Evil to identify any candles that are both Lawful and Evil.

bekeleven
2014-01-11, 06:22 PM
Q 351

What Size category is a rod?

Rods are 2-3 feet long and weigh ~5 pounds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm).

Tiny creatures are 1-8 pounds, and small creatures are 2-4 feet tall. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat)

For reference, I'm wondering whether a medium character can hide a Rod with Hoard Gullet (allows you to swallow anything 2 size categories smaller than yourself). I think that would probably be uncomfortable, but less so than the most common use, swallowing spellbooks.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-11, 07:13 PM
A 351 Small.

Size categories for creatures and objects are based entirely on height or length. Typical weight values are given for creatures, but these are not strictly adhered to and are just for reference (a tiny creature made entirely out of stone would weigh significantly more than 8 pounds, for example).

Metahuman1
2014-01-11, 08:42 PM
Q 352

If someone got the DM to Ok Using Wild Shape Ranger in Conjunction with Mystic Ranger and with Trap Expert AFC form Dungeonscape, would Teir would this character Be? High Tier 3 or Low Tier 2?

georgie_leech
2014-01-11, 08:51 PM
A 352

Tiers are not and never have been part of RAW.

Kred
2014-01-12, 04:39 AM
Q353
Energy Adaptation
It provides resisting from every swing/spell or just an amount per round?

Q354
My Gaze attack + a foe(with total concealment)
Will a foe get total concealment against my attack?

Andezzar
2014-01-12, 05:32 AM
A 354

That depends on whether the target sees the creature with the gaze attack. Everyone in range of the gaze attack that can see the creature is subject to the attack. If the creature with the gaze attack cannot see through the concealment it cannot use its gaze attack as an attack action on the concealed target.

Kred
2014-01-12, 07:31 AM
Q355
Slayer's (psionic) Cerebral Immunity

This ability shields her against almost all mind-affecting powers and effects
How does this shield work? Is it provides total immunity to mind-affecting effects?

Andezzar
2014-01-12, 07:57 AM
A 355

Yes, unless the slayer selectively allows a specific ability to affect him.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-12, 10:13 AM
Re: Q 356

I'm afraid you've picked the wrong forum for your Pathfinder question. You can raise such issues here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270834).

Xaroth
2014-01-12, 10:47 AM
Q 356

On websites such as the D&D wiki (in the SRD section) and d20srd.org, on the tables for each true dragon, there is an increase in stats as they grow older. Does anybody know where the table/paragraph is that explains how increase in stats are determined for True Dragon PCs? I've read through the section for True Dragon PCs in the Draconomicon numerous times, but either I can't find the page that declares it or I'm being an idiot and consistently somehow missing it out.

Grek
2014-01-12, 01:19 PM
Q 357
When hit by spells or magic weapons, an incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. Does this apply to spell-like abilities as well?

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-12, 02:00 PM
A 357

The phrase is actually "struck by magic or magic weapons," which I'm pretty sure is just shorthand for the previously stated list ("magic weapons, or... spells, spell-like effects, or supernatural effects") all of which are magical in nature.

So my answer is yes, the 50% chance applies.

Incorporeal creatures can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, by magic weapons, or by spells, spell-like effects, or supernatural effects. They are immune to all nonmagical attack forms. They are not burned by normal fires, affected by natural cold, or harmed by mundane acids.

Even when struck by magic or magic weapons, an incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source—except for a force effect or damage dealt by a ghost touch weapon.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-01-12, 02:07 PM
Q 325

Is there any way to qualify for Initiate feats with a requirement of "Cleric level X", without actually being a Cleric?

A 325 Contention

On page 15 of Dragon Magic, it states that
Any character of a class that must select a deity and that uses the cleric spell list for spellcasting can treat his level in that class as if it were a cleric level for the purposes of qualifying for an initiate feat.

Humble Master
2014-01-12, 02:53 PM
Q 358

From Tome of Battle. If I take the Martial Study feat at first level can I learn a 1st level maneuver? Also, the feat makes the key skill for the discipline of the maneuver you learn a class skill. Does this meen I can put skill points into that key skill the level I get Martial Study as if I had it as a class skill?

nyjastul69
2014-01-12, 03:46 PM
A 358
Once having chosen Martial Study as a feat you can choose any maneuver you meet the prerequisites for. Skill points are allocated prior to feat selection in both character creation and character advancement. You can't allocate skill points based upon your chosen feat. Page 6 of the PH has the rules for character creation. Page 58 of the PH has rules for character advancement.

Illven
2014-01-12, 03:52 PM
Q359

Can a Druid or an Archvist leave some spell slots empty during their daily spell preparations and fill them up with spell slots later?

If not, what practical purpose is there to leave spell slots empty?

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-12, 05:54 PM
A 359

Any divine spellcaster can leave some spell slots open during his or her regular prayer time. Spell slots that are left empty can be filled later, though this requires extra prayer time.

The only things you cannot do when you prepare divine spells outside of your regularly scheduled prayer time are: (1) abandon previously prepared spells to replace them with different ones, or (2) replenish or replace previously prepared spells whose slots became empty when you cast them. You can fill or refill these spell slots only during your regularly scheduled prayer time.

Here's the relevant passage from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineSpellSelectionandPreparatio n).

Illven
2014-01-12, 06:19 PM
@Duke of Urrel

However the wizard preparations section, specifically states that they can fill the unused slots later, which is absent from the divine spell section.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-12, 09:21 PM
Q342: Can the feat Innate Spell be used on a metamagic'd version of a spell? For example, could I use innate spell to create a SLA of Empowered Fireball by assigning one 5th-level spell slot?

Q343: Can Innate Spell be used with prepared casters, who don't "know" any of their spells?

Reposting from the last page. Any ideas?

Dalebert
2014-01-12, 09:36 PM
A 342
No.

A 343
Yes. Prepared casters "know" everything that's in their spell books even if they don't have it currently prepared.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-12, 09:37 PM
A 342
No.

A 343
Yes. Prepared casters "know" everything that's in their spell books even if they don't have it currently prepared.

Thanks for responding; do you have RAW citations for those answers? Not trying to dispute, just looking for references.

Dalebert
2014-01-12, 09:45 PM
Thanks for responding; do you have RAW citations for those answers? Not trying to dispute, just looking for references.

A 342
The description of the feat. It just says a spell. It doesn't say you can so you can't.

A 343
The spells that a prepared caster learns and writes into their spellbooks are repeatedly referred to as "spells known". The most straight-forward example is at the top of p.57 of the PHB. Also, when you read about adding spells from scrolls, you have to successfully "learn" the spell via successful spellcraft before you can add it to your spellbook.

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know* any number of spells (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, page 179).

*emphasis mine

OMG PONIES
2014-01-12, 09:59 PM
A 342
The description of the feat. It just says a spell. It doesn't say you can so you can't.

A342 additional question: is a metamagic'd version of a spell no longer a spell?

TrueJordan
2014-01-12, 10:40 PM
Q 360
In the Maximize Spell, the SRD states 'All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.' So let's say I'm a level 20 druid (All core, though it shouldn't make a difference) and want to use a maximized Summon Nature's Ally level 6. Should I be able to summon 5 (1d4+1, maximized) level 4 Nature's Ally guys or 3 level 5s? Also, would it affect their HD, attack rolls, etc.?

Strictly RAWly speaking, of course.

Dalebert
2014-01-12, 10:48 PM
A342 additional question: is a metamagic'd version of a spell no longer a spell?

A 342
It's not a "version" of a spell. It's a spell with a metamagic applied to it. Together they are not just a spell. They are two different things temporarily put together. If it were a version of a spell, someone could learn to cast that version as a higher level spell without having the feat and that's not the case.

I think any further discussion of it probably warrants its own thread.

Irk
2014-01-12, 11:28 PM
Q 361

Can one stack variants? For example, could one stack wildshape and mystic ranger? I'd suspect not, but I still want to check.

Andezzar
2014-01-13, 01:11 AM
A 361

No, Variants are alternatives to the whole standard class. You could however use more than one ACF, as long as both don't replace the same class feature

TuggyNE
2014-01-13, 01:14 AM
@Duke of Urrel

However the wizard preparations section, specifically states that they can fill the unused slots later, which is absent from the divine spell section.

A359 clarification It's not absent in effect, because the section starts with this general text:
Divine spellcasters prepare their spells in largely the same manner as wizards do, but with a few differences. As such, where there's no stated exception to a wizard's method of preparing spells, there's no difference; divine casters can therefore prepare spells in empty slots after their first daily preparation session the same way wizards can.

bekeleven
2014-01-13, 05:39 AM
Snowshoes from the spell compendium reads:

The affected creature can walk lightly over ice and snow without having its speed reduced. The affected creature gains a 10-foot enhancement bonus to speed and is not required to make a Balance check or Reflex save to walk on ice and snow without slipping and falling, to avoid cracking ice it walks over, or to avoid falling through cracked ice.

Q 362 Does the enhancement to move speed apply to snow and ice only? Times like this I wish WotC had some grammarians on staff. I'm trying to figure out if the spell is "Like longstrider with snow bonuses" or "like longstrider but only on snow."

Sith_Happens
2014-01-13, 08:41 AM
Q 363

Is there any official 3.5 source with updated rules on the cost to hire mercenaries of varying level or armament? The rules and table in the Arms and Equipment Guide seem to be based on much lower NPC WBL values than 3.5 uses.

Chronos
2014-01-13, 10:33 AM
A 360:

The number of creatures you get from a summon spell (if summoning from a lower-level list) is a variable numeric effect of the spell, so you could maximize or empower it. Attack rolls are not a variable numeric effect: The effect is either "hit" or "miss", which is not numeric. Damage rolls are a variable numeric effect, but are not an effect of the spell, but of the summoned creature. Thus, neither the creature's attack nor damage rolls will be maximized.

Codyage
2014-01-13, 11:40 AM
Q 364

Does a Druid who wildshapes gain the creatures Spell like, Supernatural, or Extraordinary abilities? Besides an elemental's at 16th level.

Andezzar
2014-01-13, 12:03 PM
A 364

No, except for extraordinary special attacks:
This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.

The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.

The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.

Wild Shape has no rule contradicting this, except for elementals.

TrueJordan
2014-01-13, 12:16 PM
@Chronos, thanks. See if you can answer this weirder question:

Q 365
Druid level 8, right. Is there anything from stopping me from Wild Shaping into a Giant Octopus on land and attacking? Technically, they can't breathe air,

These creatures always have swim speeds and thus can move in water without making Swim checks. An aquatic creature can breathe underwater. It cannot also breathe air unless it has the amphibious special quality.
But then they still have a move speed of 20ft, presumably on land.
So I can attack regularly, right? As long as I transform before I asphyxiate, which, presuming it takes the same amount of time to drown in the water for a non-aquatic creature, would take 26 rounds.

Am I correct in all this?

I guess another question that I couldn't find an answer to, though it seems kinda obvious:
Q 366
Assuming I have natural spell, can I morph into something with two claw attacks, use produce flame, and have that count twice, for two touch attacks? (Or a giant octopus for 8 :P)

TrueJordan
2014-01-13, 12:51 PM
@Chronos, thanks. See if you can answer this weirder question:

Q 365
Druid level 8, right. Is there anything from stopping me from Wild Shaping into a Giant Octopus on land and attacking? Technically, they can't breathe air,

But then they still have a move speed of 20ft, presumably on land.
So I can attack regularly, right? As long as I transform before I asphyxiate, which, presuming it takes the same amount of time to drown in the water for a non-aquatic creature, would take 26 rounds.

Am I correct in all this?

I guess another question that I couldn't find an answer to, though it seems kinda obvious:
Q 366
Assuming I have natural spell, can I morph into something with two claw attacks, use produce flame, and have that count twice, for two touch attacks? (Or a giant octopus for 8 :P)
Q 366 Last question,
For the spell Reincarnate, the SRD states that
For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created..
Does that mean that you can PICK off the list, or does it have to be rolled? Using the word 'determined' is very ambiguous.

Chronos
2014-01-13, 12:53 PM
A 365:

Yes, you could turn into an octopus on land, with a variety of benefits and drawbacks.

A 366:

If you're in animal form and cast Produce Flame, your attacks with the flame are separate from your attacks with your claws. You could take your full iterative attack sequence (at level 8, this would be +6/+1) with the flames, and then make a secondary attack at full -5 with each of your natural weapons (other than any natural weapon on the same limb that's throwing the flames).

Chronos
2014-01-13, 12:56 PM
A 367:

You determine it from the table by rolling d%. If you're dealing with other sorts of creatures, you and the DM should work together to create a similar table, and then roll d% on it. The only time a choice comes up is if you get a 00, and that's the DM's choice, not yours.

TrueJordan
2014-01-13, 01:44 PM
A 365:

Yes, you could turn into an octopus on land, with a variety of benefits and drawbacks.

A 366:

If you're in animal form and cast Produce Flame, your attacks with the flame are separate from your attacks with your claws. You could take your full iterative attack sequence (at level 8, this would be +6/+1) with the flames, and then make a secondary attack at full -5 with each of your natural weapons (other than any natural weapon on the same limb that's throwing the flames).

So just to clarify, if I'm a grounded octopus and I cast produce flame, I can attack with 2 touch attacks, +6/+1, then with 6 +10 tentacles, then with the +5 bite? Or do the tentacles also get become +5?

supertishguy
2014-01-13, 01:57 PM
Q# 368

I am fairly new to DnD and had a question on Armour Class vs Spell Resistance. For example if I were to cast Scorching Ray at an enemy would I still have to meet or exceed his AC or since it's magic would I have to beat his SR? Sorry if this is a confusing question, like a said, pretty new to the whole dnd scene. :smallsmile:

georgie_leech
2014-01-13, 02:06 PM
A368 Both, sort of.

If a spell needs to overcome Spell Resistance, it is noted in the line Spell Resistance, usually at the bottom of the spell descriptors, just before the in-depth description. If a spell requires an attack roll, it is noted in the description. Scorching Ray in particular needs both a ranged touch attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#touchAttacks) per the description, and if it hits, you must overcome Spell Resistance as normal. Touch AC works like regular AC, but is used for effects that don't care about thick scales or armour; just making contact is enough for the effect.

Dalebert
2014-01-13, 02:43 PM
So just to clarify, if I'm a grounded octopus and I cast produce flame, I can attack with 2 touch attacks, +6/+1, then with 6 +10 tentacles, then with the +5 bite? Or do the tentacles also get become +5?

A 365, 366
It says "appears in your hand", singular. It doesn't appear to make flames in more than one appendage no matter how many you have. I think only one of your attacks each round would get the flame benefit.

Cybris75
2014-01-13, 04:49 PM
Q 369

Does a character threaten squares around him for attacks of opportunity while wielding

a) a gauntlet
b) a shield
c) a spiked shield
d) armor spikes

If not, are there feats or class features that enable AOOs with those "weapons"?

TrueJordan
2014-01-13, 05:11 PM
Q 370

If you cast Liveoak in a forest, can it then use the Treant's Animate Trees special ability to control other treants, and onward ad infinitum, or at least run out of trees/time/room?

Andezzar
2014-01-13, 05:13 PM
A 369

a) no, Improved Unarmed Strike would do the trick
b) no, I'm not aware of any ability that changes that
c) no, they work just like normal shields except increasing damage.
d) yes

Kuulvheysoon
2014-01-13, 05:27 PM
Q 371

What happens if you take Tashaltora (Zerth Cenobite/Fist of Zuoken)?

If you were a Monk 6/Zerth Cenobite 10, would you have the Unarmed damage and AC bonus of a 26th level monk, and the flurry/movement of a 16th level monk?

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-13, 05:35 PM
Q 372: How does the Targeteer's Sniper ability (Dragon #310) interact with Improved Critical?

Sniper: When using the full attack option, the Targetteer can sacrifice attacks to gain deadly accuracy. For each attack from a full attack sacrificed the threat range of the Targetteer's weapon increases by 1. Thus if the Targetteer's ranged attack normally has a threat range of 19-20, sacrificing one attack from a full attack would increase the threat range to 18-20. A sacrificed attack only enhances the next attack. However, a Targetteer can sacrifice multiple attacks to further increase the threat range. A Targetteer cannot sacrifice all attacks from a full attack action.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-13, 05:58 PM
Reposted from previous page and edited for clarity:

Q346a

Since vampire is a template, vampires can continue to gain XP and advance in level. Both NPCs and PCs can have templates, right? So there can be an NPC vampire wizard?

Q346b

If a vampire and one of his minions (spawn or junior vampire) kill something together, how is the experience divided between them?

bekeleven
2014-01-13, 06:08 PM
A 369

a) no, Improved Unarmed Strike would do the trick
b) no, I'm not aware of any ability that changes that
c) no, they work just like normal shields except increasing damage.
d) yes

Are you sure about B and C? As far as I can tell, Shields (and spiked shields) can act basically as normal weapons, except that they give you AC when you don't attack with them during a round. At the very least, their verbiage is pretty much the same as armor spikes.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-13, 06:11 PM
A372

Improved Critical says:

"This effect doesn't stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon (such as the keen edge spell)."

Andezzar
2014-01-13, 06:20 PM
Are you sure about B and C? As far as I can tell, Shields (and spiked shields) can act basically as normal weapons, except that they give you AC when you don't attack with them during a round. At the very least, their verbiage is pretty much the same as armor spikes.No, shield bash attacks have very specific exceptions:
You can bash an opponent with a light shield or heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and a light shield as a light weapon. Only if those conditions are met, a shield is considered a weapon. Off-hand attacks only exist if you use two-weapon fighting. On an AoO you are not fighting with two weapons.

I'm not so sure about the shield spikes anymore:
When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.On the one hand the spikes make the shield a genuine martial weapon, which implies you can make normal attacks with it not just off-hand attacks, on the other other hand the rule says that those attacks are like shield bashes, except dealing more damage.

TuggyNE
2014-01-13, 06:45 PM
A346a: Of course. If NPCs could not have templates, the only vampires, lycanthropes, and half-fiends (to name but a few) in the game would be PCs.

The rules basis for this is the fact that Improving Monsters in MMI lists three explicitly mutually-compatible methods for advancing monsters, including NPCs; one of these is the addition of class levels, and another is templating.

bekeleven
2014-01-13, 07:03 PM
I'm not so sure about the shield spikes anymore:On the one hand the spikes make the shield a genuine martial weapon, which implies you can make normal attacks with it not just off-hand attacks, on the other other hand the rule says that those attacks are like shield bashes, except dealing more damage.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that off-hand means 3 similar things in the rules. It can apply to off-hand attacks, off-hand weapons, and weapons designed to be wielded off-hand. I think armor spikes threaten. Ain't grammar grand?

Speaking of grammar:

Snowshoes from the spell compendium reads:

The affected creature can walk lightly over ice and snow without having its speed reduced. The affected creature gains a 10-foot enhancement bonus to speed and is not required to make a Balance check or Reflex save to walk on ice and snow without slipping and falling, to avoid cracking ice it walks over, or to avoid falling through cracked ice.
Q 362 Does the enhancement to move speed apply to snow and ice only? Times like this I wish WotC had some grammarians on staff. I'm trying to figure out if the spell is "Like longstrider with snow bonuses" or "like longstrider but only on snow."

Eaglejarl
2014-01-13, 07:15 PM
A362

As written, the movement bonus is not attached to terrain. If you're wearing snowshoes, you can walk faster in forests, deserts, etc. You can also swim and fly faster, apparently.

The grammar boils down to the following logical structure:

A & B & C = true

A = "The affected creature can walk lightly over ice and snow without having its speed reduced."

B = "The affected creature gains a 10-foot enhancement bonus to speed"

C = "[The affected creature] is not required to make a Balance check or Reflex save to [do pretty much anything associated with ice / snow]."

Three separate, unconnected abilities. As written, you get them all.

Deaxsa
2014-01-13, 08:14 PM
Q 347

Can you sneak attack someone who has cover against you? For instance, wings of cover.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-13, 08:27 PM
A 347373

Cover does not negate Sneak Attack, unless it is total cover (which negates all forms of attack). The wings of cover spell provides total cover.

KrimsonNekros
2014-01-13, 09:36 PM
Q374

Does the feat Deformity (Clawed Hands), give the character a natural attack that could be improved by Improved Natural Attack?

bekeleven
2014-01-13, 10:39 PM
Q374

Does the feat Deformity (Clawed Hands), give the character a natural attack that could be improved by Improved Natural Attack?

A 374

No. Although the weapon given by the feat bears many similarities to a natural weapon, it is a modification of the character's unarmed strike, and as such does not meet the prerequisite for improved natural attack.

It does use the phrase "Unarmed claw attack", and it is a 3.0 sourcebook that (I think) got no 3.5 update, so you could try to make a case to your DM since natural attacks/unarmed strikes had even more convoluted interaction in 3.0 than in 3.5. But as written, no.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-13, 11:07 PM
A 362 dispute
As written, the movement bonus is not attached to terrain.

The problem with your interpretation is that the enhancement bonus is also not tied to any movement mode. Taking this sentence alone, it doesn't specify all speeds, or land speed, or anything at all. Consequently, this "enhancement bonus to speed" is devoid of any game mechanic impact because it's an inadequate specification. With no context at all, there's no actual speed to enhance.

The alternative way to read this is that the topic sentence of the paragraph sets the context: i.e., it's specific to walking (land) speed, and also specific to snow/ice terrain.

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 12:15 AM
Q 375

Can a Hellbred successfully become a Necropolitan, or does it's Hellbound racial trait stop this from happening?

Andezzar
2014-01-14, 12:20 AM
Q 375

Yes he can. The Ritual of Crucimigration is not a way of restoring the character to life. It's quite the opposite.

TuggyNE
2014-01-14, 12:21 AM
A 362 correction
Taking this sentence alone, it doesn't specify all speeds, or land speed, or anything at all. Consequently, this "enhancement bonus to speed" is devoid of any game mechanic impact because it's an inadequate specification. With no context at all, there's no actual speed to enhance.

Monks also get an enhancement bonus to their speed, with no additional specification. Clearly, the same logic would apply.

Context is important, but RAW often does not rely on it as much as one would expect.

Totema
2014-01-14, 02:11 AM
Q376: Are there any buff spells and/or manifestations that require a saving throw, rather than also having the "harmless" designation that lets the target ignore it?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-14, 02:20 AM
Re: A 362 correction

Monks also get an enhancement bonus to their speed, with no additional specification. Clearly, the same logic would apply.
Yes, the same logic does apply. This is the class which is non-proficient with its main weapon, and has the freedom to ignore prerequisites to select feats but not to use them. The Monk fast movement class ability is also problematic.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-14, 03:38 AM
A 376

A creature can always choose to forgo its saving throw against a spell. In fact, there's no property of the (harmless) tag that inherently lets the target know the spell you're using is harmless; they just have to trust you (or make a Spellcraft check).

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 03:54 AM
Q 377

Are there any Gnomish deities apart from Rill Cleverthrush that have Knowledge among their available domains?

For this purpose, it must be deity specific, and not gained from Cloistered Cleric or other means.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-14, 07:58 AM
Q 378: Does a barbarian's rage end when he is knocked unconscious if there are still rounds remaining on its duration?

OMG PONIES
2014-01-14, 09:18 AM
Q379: If a player uses the monster classes in Libris Mortis to become undead, should we recalculate past hit dice to d12s, or just the ones gained beginning with their first level in the monster class?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-14, 12:59 PM
A 378 No.
A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. Being unconscious doesn't create a desire to prematurely end Barbarian rage, which normally continues for a fixed duration.

Samalpetey
2014-01-14, 01:50 PM
Q380

Approximately much would a mansion cost?

Sith_Happens
2014-01-14, 01:54 PM
A 380

A typical mansion costs 100,000 gp (DMG pg. 101).

KrimsonNekros
2014-01-14, 02:32 PM
Q381

Is there a way to gain PP without having to dip into a psionic class?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-14, 02:52 PM
A 381 partial

There are psionic races, such as the Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm), which have power points irrespective of class choice.
Naturally Psionic: Half-giants gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-01-14, 02:56 PM
A 381 Addendum

Certain feats, such as Wild Talent or Hidden Talent, also grant a PP pool.

Wild Talent [General]
Your mind wakes to a previously unrealized talent for psionics.

Benefit
Your latent power of psionics flares to life, conferring upon you the designation of a psionic character. As a psionic character, you gain a reserve of 2 power points and can take psionic feats, metapsionic feats, and psionic item creation feats. You do not, however, gain the ability to manifest powers simply by virtue of having this feat.

Ketiara
2014-01-14, 03:56 PM
Q382 when using hunters mercy you get it on all your arrows when using manyshot. But what about when you use greater manyshot?

Totema
2014-01-14, 07:50 PM
A 376

A creature can always choose to forgo its saving throw against a spell. In fact, there's no property of the (harmless) tag that inherently lets the target know the spell you're using is harmless; they just have to trust you (or make a Spellcraft check).

Fair enough, but this doesn't really address my needs.

Q 376 Rephrased

Are there any inherently beneficial spells/manifestations that do not have the (harmless) tag?

Morphie
2014-01-14, 09:10 PM
Q 383
Can a druid with the Dimensional Jaunt reserve feat share the teleportation with his animal companion the same way he does with the other spells?

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 09:15 PM
Q 384

Is there any to get a least (draconic) invocation, without a level dip (in either Dragonfire Adept or Dragon Shaman)?

supertishguy
2014-01-14, 09:45 PM
Q:385

Is there a 3.5 legal book or legal variant that contains information about Item Familiars? If not, how should I present it to the DM? Thanks!

Thurbane
2014-01-14, 09:54 PM
A 385

Item Familiars are detailed in Unearthed Arcana, and the open content can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm).

TuggyNE
2014-01-14, 09:55 PM
A376 partial: Enlarge/reduce person. At least, these are generally assumed to be buffs in their primary use; their bonuses outweigh their penalties in the general case.

Dalebert
2014-01-14, 10:06 PM
A 383
Reserve feats grant you supernatural abilities. It's not a spell. I'm pretty sure that means the answer is "no" by RAW unless it says Su is something that can be shared under animal companion abilities.

Eaglejarl
2014-01-14, 11:10 PM
Q386

Can casting Dispel Magic on the arrival location of a Teleport Circle dispel the TC?

Illven
2014-01-15, 12:14 AM
Q387

What exactly does Drancomican mean when it says most of Dragons spells don't need physical props.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-15, 12:25 AM
A376 partial: Enlarge/reduce person. At least, these are generally assumed to be buffs in their primary use; their bonuses outweigh their penalties in the general case.

A 376 Redux additional

Heroics (SpC, temporarily grants the target a [Fighter] feat they qualify for) is Save: None, SR: No, but I suspect that makes it irrelevant to the reason you're asking the question. It and Enlarge/Reduce person were of great frustration to me when I made a War Weaver, though.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-15, 12:26 AM
A 386 No.

There's no magic permanently in place at the destination of Teleportation Circle; the magic is at the origin point of the spell. You cannot use the spell to travel backward (from destination to origin); it's only a magical effect from the origin point (the Circle). You would need to travel to the origin point to dispel the effect.

Somensjev
2014-01-15, 02:13 AM
there's a magic item somewhere, and it lets you wear a third ring, it also gives some other bonuses, what is it and what else does it give you?

sabelo2000
2014-01-15, 02:34 AM
Q388
Can an Ardent 6/Swordsage 5 use Practiced Manifester and Overchannel to manifest, say, a Psionic Disintegrate (7th-level power, 11 ppt)?

sabelo2000
2014-01-15, 02:35 AM
there's a magic item somewhere, and it lets you wear a third ring, it also gives some other bonuses, what is it and what else does it give you?

You're looking for Hand of Glory.

Hand of Glory

This mummified human hand hangs by a leather cord around a character’s neck (taking up space as a magic necklace would). If a magic ring is placed on one of the fingers of the hand, the wearer benefits from the ring as if wearing it herself, and it does not count against her two-ring limit. The hand can wear only one ring at a time. Even without a ring, the hand itself allows its wearer to use daylight and see invisibility each once per day.

Faint varied; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, animate dead, daylight, see invisibility; Price 8,000 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Andezzar
2014-01-15, 02:42 AM
there's a magic item somewhere, and it lets you wear a third ring, it also gives some other bonuses, what is it and what else does it give you?I believe you are thinking about the Hand of Glory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handofGlory).

Skevvix
2014-01-15, 05:07 AM
Q339

Are domain lists considered class spell lists?

(I ask in regards to the Chameleon foci)

Sith_Happens
2014-01-15, 06:30 AM
Q 340

You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a -5 penalty.

You can move up to one-half your normal speed at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your full speed, you take a -5 penalty.

Is this per round or per move action?

Q 341

What Hide and Move Silently penalty is imposed if you move your normal/full speed?

Ketiara
2014-01-15, 08:59 AM
Q382 when using hunters mercy you get it on all your arrows when using manyshot. But what about when you use greater manyshot?

No one able to giv me an answer to this question?

Andezzar
2014-01-15, 09:42 AM
A 340

Speed (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_speed&alpha=S) is the maximum distance you can travel per move action, not per round.

Metahuman1
2014-01-15, 10:34 AM
Q 341

Taking 2 levels of the Lasher PrC from Sword and Fist would, RAW, allow you to attack things that get within 5ft of you, threaten squares inside your 15ft reach + Adjacent, and deal lethal damage as well as damage in general to targets in armor or with more then +3 Natural Armor. Correct?

nyjastul69
2014-01-15, 11:16 AM
A 341 Sword and Fist is a 3.0 product and, as such, is outside of the scope of this thread. I'm unable to find an updated(3.5 version) of that PrC. I suggest checking with your DM for any needed modifications and/or rulings.

Garloth
2014-01-15, 12:13 PM
Q342
Probably answered somewhere, but I can't find it:
What happens when you are Venerable * with base physical stats below 7?
Will it drop you to 0 and kill?
I know half orcs have the limitation of minimal Int though.

Metahuman1
2014-01-15, 12:36 PM
A 341 Sword and Fist is a 3.0 product and, as such, is outside of the scope of this thread. I'm unable to find an updated(3.5 version) of that PrC. I suggest checking with your DM for any needed modifications and/or rulings.

Q 341 a: Doesn't Backwards compatibility and the lack of an official update mean it's technically 3.5 compatible?

Andezzar
2014-01-15, 12:56 PM
A 341 a

3.0 stuff is not entirely compatible with 3.5 rules. For that reason Wizards has released some updates. Those books that were not updated are subject to review by each DM. He is encouraged to change the rules as he sees fit to make them compatible with 3.5. Because of that encouragement to change the rules we cannot give definitive answers to your question.

Only updated 3.0 content is fully compatible with 3.5.

Heliomance
2014-01-15, 12:59 PM
Q305]
What happens if you use Psionic Shot with a ray that deals ability damage?

Q 371

What happens if you take Tashaltora (Zerth Cenobite/Fist of Zuoken)?

If you were a Monk 6/Zerth Cenobite 10, would you have the Unarmed damage and AC bonus of a 26th level monk, and the flurry/movement of a 16th level monk?

Reposting a couple of questions

GhengisConrad
2014-01-15, 02:32 PM
Q343

Using the 'Death From Above' part of the feat 'Roof Jumper', would a character with natural flight by able to meet the charge requirements for a pounce by flying above and then deliberately falling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040706a) onto a foe?

Dalebert
2014-01-15, 03:48 PM
Q 344
Is there a magic item or spell method to get Precise Shot for ranged touch spells? Basically looking for a way to get it without a feat slot, maybe even just a few times a day.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-15, 04:03 PM
A 339 No.

Domain spell lists are not class lists. Instead, spells from individual domains are added to the personal spell lists of the Clerics who take those domains.

In addition to the stated number of spells per day for 1st- through 9th-level spells, a cleric gets a domain spell for each spell level, starting at 1st. The "+1" in the entries on this table represents that spell. Domain spells are in addition to any bonus spells the cleric may receive for having a high Wisdom score.
A 342

When transitioning from Old age to Venerable, a character only loses 3 points from physical stats. Being below 7 in those scores before the transition is not enough to bring any score below 1; being below 4 in those stats is. However, as Illven notes here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16797720&postcount=751), aging alone cannot cause this to happen. All it can do is drop ability scores to 1, making the character vulnerable to death with any subsequent ability damage or ability drain.

A 344

A Rod of Magical Precision (Complete Mage) only works with spells and spell-like abilities but negates the -4 penalty for shooting into melee. That's the same effect as Precise Shot, but doesn't count as having the feat.

Garloth
2014-01-15, 04:14 PM
Q 342a I meant adulthood to venerable. So death with no means to avoid it apart from +attribute magic?