PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

justiceforall
2014-01-28, 09:42 PM
Q 533

Does the Blind-Fighting feat prevent you from losing your dexterity against any opponent you cannot see (for instance, because they beat you in an opposed hide vs spot check), or only from an attacker made invisibility by an effect that specifically states it is the same as the invisibility spell?

Chronos
2014-01-28, 09:55 PM
A 532:

When an effect causes damage to be doubled (or tripled, etc.), it applies to all bonus damage that's a straight number (such as from strength, Power Attack, or an enhancement bonus on a weapon), but not to any bonus damage that's expressed in dice (such as sneak attack, skirmish, or an energy damage weapon property).

Andezzar
2014-01-29, 02:12 AM
A 533

Yes, Blind-fight works against all attackers that are invisible (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#invisible). How the condition of invisibility came about (spell, supernatural ability, blinded feat user etc.) is irrelevant.

Cybris75
2014-01-29, 07:37 AM
Q534

The armor section of the PHB and SRD state that armor in sizes different from medium are priced differently, and have different weights. For example, prices and weights for large armor are doubled.

Q534a Does this apply to the price for masterwork armor?
Q534b Does this apply to the price for special materials like mithral?
Q534c Does this apply to armor spikes, or are the rules for unusual weapon sizes being used?

Same goes for the weight, if applicable.

Cybris75
2014-01-29, 07:43 AM
Q535

Q535a Can masterwork armor have non-masterwork armor spikes? Or the other way around?
Q535b Can mithral armor have normal armor spikes? Or the other way around?

Khedrac
2014-01-29, 08:03 AM
A535 Yes - and the spikes can be a retro-fit.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-01-29, 09:25 AM
Q534

The armor section of the PHB and SRD state that armor in sizes different from medium are priced differently, and have different weights. For example, prices and weights for large armor are doubled.

Q534a Does this apply to the price for masterwork armor?
Q534b Does this apply to the price for special materials like mithral?
Q534c Does this apply to armor spikes, or are the rules for unusual weapon sizes being used?

Same goes for the weight, if applicable.

Q534a No, for all normal materials figure the cost of item as instructed (ie double price for large) and then add the masterwork fee of 150gp.
Q534b Check the material (in this case Mithral) description in the appropriate source book (in this case the DMG). All Mithral and Admantine items are automatically masterwork and have both the price and masterwork enhancement prefigured into the description. Other materials may vary, I would have to check them each individually to be certain.
Q534c See Q534a

Figure weight of item for the unusual size first, then apply any unusual material modifiers for the weight.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-29, 09:29 AM
A few questions regarding ghosts:

Q536: Can a human ghost who's taller than 5' stand 5' below ground and thus have her head stick out to maintain vision? Or do all humans have a space of 5', meaning she can be either underground or aboveground, but not both?

Q537: A specific question regarding ghostly equipment. Can a ghost with a ghostly Quiver of Ehlonna purchase non-ghostly arrows, javelins, etc. and load them into the quiver via telekinesis, since the space inside the quiver is nondimensional? Or do we still follow the line about material objects passing through ghostly equipment, nondimensional space notwithstanding?

Cybris75
2014-01-29, 10:01 AM
Q534b Check the material (in this case Mithral) description in the appropriate source book (in this case the DMG). All Mithral and Admantine items are automatically masterwork and have both the price and masterwork enhancement prefigured into the description. Other materials may vary, I would have to check them each individually to be certain.

This question was about cost of special materials relating to size, not to masterwork quality.

To rephrase it: Do you double the cost modifier (+1000,+4000, or +9000 for light, medium, and heavy armor, respectively) for making armor out of Mithral when the armor is large?

unseenmage
2014-01-29, 10:05 AM
Q538

Would a Werewolf Polymorphed into a Hydra still confer lycanthropy via it's bite attack?

Kryx
2014-01-29, 11:07 AM
Q539: Spell-to-Power Erudite: I've often heard that a StP Erudite can only convert a spell to power if the spell is available to an arcane caster of 3 levels lower. (Basically CL is effectively ML-3 for being able to learn spells). Is there a source for this rule? I cannot find it.

Rules for StP (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)

Curmudgeon
2014-01-29, 11:13 AM
A 536

Ghosts don't "stand", so your question as stated is a bit off. But in D&D's simple model used for combat, you're either in a cube or not. That single cube location generally applies to any Medium character, who can be anywhere between 4' and 8' tall. The one twist in the rules which takes height into account is squeezing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#squeezing), where you'll be penalized if you're taller than the ceiling height.

Outside of combat conditions it's your individual DM's call how much exposure a manifesting Ghost can have at the interface between a solid surface and air, and what the in-game consequences of that partial exposure would be. When not in combat creatures can be anywhere they can fit instead of spaced apart for combat (which has rule-mandated maneuvering room).

A 537

There's no exception to the standard corporeal/incorporeal rules stated in any of the nondimensional storage magic items I've checked on. An arrow is normally either corporeal or incorporeal, and you would need a container of the same type to hold it. The only exception I know of is the obvious Ghost Touch enhancement, which specifically covers this need. A character who wants to be able to fire arrows at both corporeal and incorporeal foes doesn't get to bypass the cost of Ghost Touch arrows just because they've got a Quiver of Ehlonna.

A 538 Never.
Curse of Lycanthropy (Su)

Any humanoid or giant hit by a natural lycanthrope’s bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. If you're in a completely different form you're not "in animal or hybrid form" as required to spread the curse.

Plerumque
2014-01-29, 12:08 PM
Q 540

Would a cleric with the Domain Spontaneity (http://dndtools.eu/feats/faiths-of-eberron--8/domain-spontaneity--684/) feat or the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF from the PHBII for the Magic domain be able to use the Divine Defiance (http://dndtools.eu/feats/fiendish-codex-ii-tyrants-of-the-nine-hells--67/divine-defiance--655/) with a Dispel Magic spontaneously converted from a different prepared spell?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-01-29, 12:24 PM
This question was about cost of special materials relating to size, not to masterwork quality.

To rephrase it: Do you double the cost modifier (+1000,+4000, or +9000 for light, medium, and heavy armor, respectively) for making armor out of Mithral when the armor is large?

Q534b I have not found an order of precedence in the RAW for construction of unusual size armor of unusual materials. Barring explicit rules this determination would be made by the DM. That said, doubling the cost of materials for large sounds about right to me.

AlanBruce
2014-01-29, 01:12 PM
Q 541.

Can a caster use a swift + standard action to cast 2 spells on his turn and then use an immediate like celerity or abrupt jaunt on the same round? I was under the understanding that you could only use either swift or immediate, not both.

Andezzar
2014-01-29, 01:18 PM
A 541

Yes, unless he wants to use the immediate action on his turn as well. Any other time during the round is fine (which is when you want to use most immediate action spells anyways). He won't be able to use a swift or immediate action until after the next turn though:
Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn).

_felagund
2014-01-29, 02:34 PM
Q542

Can a psion use arcane scrolls to cast spells like a wizard. (without using any skill like use magic device)

OMG PONIES
2014-01-29, 02:50 PM
A 542

Yes, but only so long as you have the scroll's spell on the psion spell list.

This is because while scrolls state that arcane casters can only use arcane spells, and divine casters can only use divine spells, there is no such limitation on psionics. However, you do also need the spell on your spell list, which may be difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish for a psion.

A 542 contention:A psion doesn't have a class spell list, they have a list of powers. Therefore, they would need to make a Use Magic Device check to activate an arcane scroll.

roguemetal
2014-01-29, 02:55 PM
A 542

No.

You need the spell being cast on your "spell list", which I'm fairly certain is impossible, since psionics use powers and not spells.

Clistenes
2014-01-29, 04:30 PM
Q543: By RAW, should a spell like Guidance or Divine Insight allow me to make untrained skill checks even when that skill usually doesn't allow them?

Chronos
2014-01-29, 05:16 PM
A 543:

Neither of those spells provides an exception to the rule of needing to be trained in some skills.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-29, 10:26 PM
A 540 Yes.
You must have the relevant spell prepared as normal (or dispel magic), and you must make a Spellcraft check to identify the target's spell if applicable.
Assuming the Cleric had all the necessary resources available (immediate action, high enough level prepared spell, Magic domain, and enough turn/rebuke attempts) this would be possible. As the quoted sentence from Divine Defiance is phrased, Dispel Magic needn't be "prepared as normal" as long as it's available during that immediate action.

kardar233
2014-01-29, 11:47 PM
Q544:

If a character is proficient in the use of shields, but not with martial weapons, do they take nonproficiency penalties when they make a shield bash?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-30, 12:22 AM
A 544 Yes.

Defensive and offensive shield use are different proficiencies.

Niwrad
2014-01-30, 01:31 AM
Q 545

Would a rider on a flying mount who fails their save vs the grease effect of a freezing fog fall off their mount?

Lord Ruby34
2014-01-30, 08:12 AM
Q 546

Can an arrow be drawn as a free action and then be wielded as an improvised Weapon? Can I get a citation on the answer either way?

Trebloc
2014-01-30, 08:28 AM
Q 547

If I have Stormguard Warrior from the TOB and say a DEX of 10 (so only 1 AoO). Someone triggers an AoO from me, and I choose to refrain from taking that AoO using Stormguard Warrior's "Channel the Storm" option. Later in the same round, another AoO is triggered in a threated square by me, can I choose to take the AoO, or is it lost to Stormguard warrior?

FyreByrd
2014-01-30, 09:05 AM
Q548

If you placed a Major Iceheart (Frostburn p110) into a bag of holding (or similar extra/non-dimensional storage) would it's Fimbulwinter ability:

A) Activate at sunset, and coat the inside of your bag of holding in wintery conditions

B) Not activate as there is no such thing as sunset inside a bag of holding

C) Kill all the catgirls in the world instantly

D) Other.

Context:

I'm the DM so if it's a DM call situation I'd probably go with B, just interested if there's a RAW answer?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-30, 09:44 AM
A 546 Only in combination with a regular move.
When using a bow, a character can draw ammunition as a free action; crossbows and slings require an action for reloading. If you're not using a bow, the standard rules apply:
Draw or Sheathe a Weapon

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action.
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

Lord Ruby34
2014-01-30, 10:01 AM
A 546 Only in combination with a regular move. If you're not using a bow, the standard rules apply:

Can I get a slight clarification? Assume the character is wielding a bow, and wants to draw an arrow to use as a melee weapon. You're saying that it still counts as drawing a weapon, not ammunition.

I'm not disputing your answer, just trying to understand.

Andezzar
2014-01-30, 10:13 AM
Can I get a slight clarification? Assume the character is wielding a bow, and wants to draw an arrow to use as a melee weapon. You're saying that it still counts as drawing a weapon, not ammunition. Yes, that is what the rules say even though it does not make much sense.
Grab an arrow from your quiver and put it on the bow, draw the bow -> Free action
Grab an arrow from your quiver to stabsomeone -> Move Action/Free action that is part of a regular move.

Dalebert
2014-01-30, 10:31 AM
Yes, that is what the rules say even though it does not make much sense.
Grab an arrow from your quiver and put it on the bow, draw the bow -> Free action
Grab an arrow from your quiver to stabsomeone -> Move Action/Free action that is part of a regular move.

It's not that unbelievable. It's a more involved process to melee with someone than to shoot at them from a safe distance. The act of stabbing someone is maybe less than a second so why can't anyone do it about six times in a combat round? Because each of you is trying to find an opening to attack while the other is on the defensive from attacks. They're trying to dodge and block and so are you. That's why you provoke an attack of opportunity if you try to use a ranged attack in a threatened square. Being in threat range complicates the things you want to do.

Andezzar
2014-01-30, 11:21 AM
It's not that unbelievable. It's a more involved process to melee with someone than to shoot at them from a safe distance. The act of stabbing someone is maybe less than a second so why can't anyone do it about six times in a combat round? Because each of you is trying to find an opening to attack while the other is on the defensive from attacks. They're trying to dodge and block and so are you. That's why you provoke an attack of opportunity if you try to use a ranged attack in a threatened square. Being in threat range complicates the things you want to do.We are not talking about melee attack vs ranged attack, but about getting the arrow in a position where it can either be launched by the bow or used as a melee weapon. That the latter motion requires more time is weird.

OMG PONIES
2014-01-30, 11:31 AM
We are not talking about melee attack vs ranged attack, but about getting the arrow in a position where it can either be launched by the bow or used as a melee weapon. That the latter motion requires more time is weird.

It takes more effort to grip the shaft of the arrow in a fist than it does to knock an arrow between two fingers. What's odd about that? Granted, there are two things going on here:
I'm DMing the game where the question arose, so I may not be impartial, and...
I fear we've since left the RAW Q&A intention of the thread, though we have a solid RAW answer. Perhaps further questions warrant their own thread?

Chronos
2014-01-30, 11:32 AM
Not all that weird. When you take an arrow out of a quiver, you're holding it by the back end with your fingers, and right up until it leaves the bow, you still only have your fingers on it and at the back end. To use it as a melee weapon, though, you'd have to shift your grip to grasp it near the middle of the shaft, using your entire hand. Presumably it's the shift of grip that takes a longer time.

Andezzar
2014-01-30, 11:38 AM
But not only do you have to remove the arrow from the quiver you also have to put that arrow on the bow. I'm not sure whether drawing the bow is still part of the reload process or part of the attack. Especially if the former is the case (as it most definitely would be with a crossbow), there really is no reason why changing the grip would take more time. Also who is to say that you grip the arrow at the fletching with two fingers if you intend to use it as a melee weapon anyways?

Tubercular Ox
2014-01-30, 02:29 PM
Q549: Time Stop + Marshal's Grant Move Action (gestalt build). What happens? The grant move action is neither an attack nor a spell, and does not move any item held by a character... it grants the character the ability to move on their own. Really?

Treme
2014-01-30, 03:19 PM
Q550

should be a simple one! A friend wants to make use of the Bards whip proficiency.

With improved trip he gets a melee attack against the opponent once tripped.
Can he then use that free attack to make a disarm attack with the whip?

Andezzar
2014-01-30, 03:32 PM
A 550

Yes:
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.

Treme
2014-01-30, 03:34 PM
A550: thanks, thought so, just wanted to make sure :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2014-01-30, 04:27 PM
A 548 DM's call.

Fimbulwinter is an Area spell which is not stated to be a Spread effect. That is, it can't turn corners. Thus the effect in a closed space, if active, would be limited to the extent of the space, or the stated radius (15 miles) within that space if larger.

The triggering condition (sunset), however, isn't characterized in terms of magic effect qualifiers like Burst and Spread. Does sunset still count as occurring in a space which must be reached by "turning a corner" into a dimension away from where the sun shines? Because that's undefined in the game rules, it's a DM's call as to whether the Fimbulwinter effect is triggered.

bekeleven
2014-01-30, 05:47 PM
Q 551

Ring of Spell-Battle, MiC, states:

A ring of spell-battle informs you of all spellcasting that occurs within 60 feet of you, as well as allowing you to attempt a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level) to identify the spell being cast (even if you can’t see its casting or effect).

What information is contained by "informed of all spellcasting"?

Metahuman1
2014-01-30, 06:22 PM
Q 552

What book(s) and Page Number(s) are Flashmorph and Quick Change found in/on?

Q 553

Is there a way Tibbit can remove the 1 hour cool down on his ability to turn into a cat?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-30, 07:13 PM
A 551 Just as stated.

You know that a spell's being cast within 60'. For other information, you need to make the required Spellcraft check.

unseenmage
2014-01-30, 07:33 PM
Q554

If the base races from the Player's Handbook had Monster statblocks would their Intelligence be base 10 or base 11?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-30, 07:55 PM
A 554 10.

The Monster Manual includes most of the Player's Handbook races; all of those (Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling) with example characters have INT 10. The Dungeon Master's Guide NPC characters add examples of Half-Orc and Human characters at level 5 with INT 8 (-2 racial penalty) and 10, respectively.

Thurbane
2014-01-30, 08:05 PM
Q 555

Baleful Polymorph time. Which small or smaller animal (of 1 or less HD) has the slowest land speed, excluding flying creatures? i.e. which target form is going to have the toughest time escaping from the caster.

unseenmage
2014-01-30, 11:30 PM
A 554 10.

The Monster Manual includes most of the Player's Handbook races; all of those (Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling) with example characters have INT 10. The Dungeon Master's Guide NPC characters add examples of Half-Orc and Human characters at level 5 with INT 8 (-2 racial penalty) and 10, respectively.

Thank you, could not remember where those last two were.

Andezzar
2014-01-31, 01:48 AM
A 552

Flashmorph: CW p. 90
Quick Change: RoE p. 110

JustineSane
2014-01-31, 06:42 AM
Q 556

Is there an existing feat that would replicate the ability of Batman from the Arkham series or Ezio Auditore from AC:Brotherhood that would let a character extend their reach after successfully dispatching a foe for the next attack, a la Cleave/Great Cleave? Kinda like when the Bat hits a guy, then immediately leaps who knows how far to hit the next guy, and keeps chaining - "combatcrobatics," if you will.

Chronos
2014-01-31, 09:22 AM
A 555:

A toad (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/toad.htm) has a speed of 5', with no special movement modes. It's going to be hard to beat that. It does, however, have a +21 to Hide, so it might be able to elude you without actually going all that far.

unseenmage
2014-01-31, 09:33 AM
Q557

If I have a CR 1/3 creature and apply a CR +1 template, what is the CR of the resulting creature?

heavyfuel
2014-01-31, 10:27 AM
Q 558

Does a character knows another character has failed/succeeded a saving throw?

For example, if a cleric uses zone of truth, does he know if the people in the area passed the will throw?

Rossebay
2014-01-31, 01:35 PM
Q 531
Can a Half-Ogre Goliath swing a huge-sized battleaxe in a hallway that's 10' diameter?
How about 15'?

Or is there no limit on the size of the weapon you can swing?

Reasking this.

Does it count as Q 559 then?

Metahuman1
2014-01-31, 01:51 PM
Q 560

If a swordsage at level 1 takes Discipline focus Diamond Mind, does that allow him too be treated as proficient with a Katana since he now has weapons focus with it?

Andezzar
2014-01-31, 02:13 PM
A 560

No, proficiency and weapon focus are different abilities. The katana however can be used with two hands as a martial weapon, because it is a masterwork bastard swords. Used in such a manner the swordsage is proficient with it.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-31, 03:26 PM
A 558 No.
... if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.
The spellcaster must use only targeted spells if they want to know the result of saving throws.

Flame of Anor
2014-01-31, 04:36 PM
A 556

The Supreme Cleave class feature allows you to take a five-foot step before a cleave attack.

Thurbane
2014-01-31, 05:43 PM
A 557

CR would be 1, under the rule of always rounding fractions down.

questionmark693
2014-01-31, 09:12 PM
Q 561

Can I craft wondrous item effects onto anything i want? Like, for instance, my gauntlet? If so, how does that affect the price, and where do I find these rules?

Osiris
2014-01-31, 09:48 PM
Q 561

Can I craft wondrous item effects onto anything i want? Like, for instance, my gauntlet? If so, how does that affect the price, and where do I find these rules?

With Craft Wondrous Item, you can make anything into a wondrous item. Various effects and their prices are located in DMG 285. I hope this helps.

AlanBruce
2014-01-31, 10:04 PM
Q. 562

Can the spell Lucent Lance (Spell Compendium) destroy creatures like vampires?

The Trickster
2014-01-31, 10:41 PM
Q. 562

Can the spell Lucent Lance (Spell Compendium) destroy creatures like vampires?

It would disorient them.

You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. A creature struck is blinded for 1 round, and dazzled for 1 round per caster level. A creature sensitive to bright light (such as a drow, duergar, or kuo-toa) takes penalties as if it had been exposed to full daylight for 1 round if struck by the beam, even if it resists the spell’s other effects.

As for vampires;

Reducing a vampire’s hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn’t always destroy it (see the note on fast healing). However, certain attacks can slay vampires. Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape.

Since it hits for one round, a vampire would get the one round sunlight debuff.

Andezzar
2014-02-01, 12:45 AM
A 561 Addendum

The prices on p. 285 are only guidelines. The DM sets the price based on its actual worth. E.g. don't expect to get an item which continually grants the effect of a shield spell (+4 AC, immunity to magic missile) for 4000 gp as the guidelines tell you.

BTW those guidelines can also be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues).

unseenmage
2014-02-01, 01:46 AM
Q563

When a Construct is polymorphed into another size, does it's bonus hp change?

Flame of Anor
2014-02-01, 01:55 AM
A 555:

A toad (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/toad.htm) has a speed of 5', with no special movement modes. It's going to be hard to beat that. It does, however, have a +21 to Hide, so it might be able to elude you without actually going all that far.

Although if you hit the area with Glitterdust the next round, it will not remain stealthy for long.

Aliek
2014-02-01, 01:58 AM
Q564: If you have the improved grab ability(If you hit, you can start a grapple), and the stormguard warrior feat(You can touch attack and gain bonus damage next turn instead of dealing damage on this), would you be able to start a grapple with the touch attack?
(I know it's kind of missing the point with improved grab, but I'd like to get the +5 damage stacks if the grapple fails)

Garloth
2014-02-01, 08:51 AM
Q565
Would ordering a creature called by planar binding to draw a card from the deck of many things be an "unreasonable command".
This would seem to be the easiest way to get Lawful Good Succubi as (paid) servants for my magic guild.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-01, 09:19 AM
A 565 Yes.

Being forced to draw cards which can cause permanent impairment is obviously unreasonable. It's especially so considering you think you can rig the Deck of Many Things to produce a particular card (Balance).
Each time a card is taken from the deck, it is replaced (making it possible to draw the same card twice) unless the draw is the jester or the fool, in which case the card is discarded from the pack. Because the cards are automatically replaced in a way which makes it possible (but not guaranteed) to draw the same card twice, control over the position of the cards in the Deck is impossible.

Garloth
2014-02-01, 09:41 AM
I don't think so. It would be either balance >> success or anything else >> back to hell. Repeat until getting enough succeses.

Andezzar
2014-02-01, 10:13 AM
A 565 Addendum

I don't think so. It would be either balance >> success or anything else >> back to hell. Repeat until getting enough succeses.The question is whether the order to draw from the deck is unreasonable, not whether you can devise a procedure to ensure that you most likely will get a lawful good succubus immediately.

IMHO it is up to the DM. Yes, the Deck of Many Things can cause permanent harm to the bound creature, but so can many other tasks that may sound reasonable. Depending on circumstances even "stay by my side for 24 hours" can be quite detrimental to the creature. So whether either is unreasonable is the DM's decision. AFAIK there are no guidelines what is supposed to be unreasonable.

Curmudgeon is right however that you cannot guarantee that the next card will be "Balance".

Q 566

Are there other magic playing cards besides the deck of many things?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-01, 10:51 AM
A 566

Dungeon Master's Guide has Deck of Illusions (pages 254-255).
Planar Handbook has Deck of Illusions, Planar (pages 82-83).

_felagund
2014-02-01, 01:19 PM
Q567

DIMENSION STRIDE BOOTS (magic item compendium) say, these allow you to teleport a short distance (with no chance of error). You must have line of sight and line of effect to your destination. You can’t use the boots to move into a space occupied by another creature, nor can you teleport into a solid object; if you attempt to do so, the boots’ activation is wasted.

a. can i teleport to higher a ground? (like a balcony)
b. can i teleport to places where walking is impossible (like thru a destroyed bridge)

Andezzar
2014-02-01, 01:52 PM
A 567

a) Yes as long as you have line of sight and line of effect. A railing or wall may break LOE

b) Yes, teleportation is travel from one place to another without moving through the area in between. If you teleport to a location that cannot support your weight, you will suffer the normal consequences.

Arparrabiosa
2014-02-01, 05:17 PM
Q 568

How does Alacritous Cogitation (complete mage) work in a non-vancian system? We are using the Spellpoint System from Arcana Unhearted, and I'm not sure how that feat would work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Irk
2014-02-01, 05:51 PM
Q 569

Can one take both mystic ranger and wild shape ranger?

EDIT: what I really mean, is can one take multiple variants as long as tehy don't contradict each other?

A.A.King
2014-02-01, 07:55 PM
Q 570

Can I advance a Divine Spellcastingclass with "Maester" (or a similiar PrC classes) if I meet the arcane caster level requirement? The Spells per day/Spells known bit makes no mention of an arcane spellcasting class.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-01, 08:10 PM
A 569

Previously answered as A 340 here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16768469&postcount=637).

Irk
2014-02-01, 08:13 PM
A 569

Previously answered as A 340 here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16768469&postcount=637).

Thanks again. I was just looking at older threads, and people seemed to think that you could, but this made more sense.

Q 570

Is there a template that decreases HD?

The Trickster
2014-02-02, 12:10 AM
Thanks again. I was just looking at older threads, and people seemed to think that you could, but this made more sense.

Q 570

Is there a template that decreases HD?

A 570(?)

Not that I can think of for 3.5. Although Pathfinder has the "young" template, if tha helps at all.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1

Eldonauran
2014-02-02, 01:38 AM
Q 571

Lawful Good character takes shape Soulmeld and picks Incarnate Weapon. Which weapon does he form?

Lawful gets longsword. Good gets war hammer. Would he form one of each?

unseenmage
2014-02-02, 01:48 AM
Q563

When a Construct is polymorphed into another size, does it's bonus hp change?

Still curious about this one if anyone knows.

Irk
2014-02-02, 02:53 AM
Q 571

Lawful Good character takes shape Soulmeld and picks Incarnate Weapon. Which weapon does he form?

Lawful gets longsword. Good gets war hammer. Would he form one of each?

A 571
A lot of people rule that you get both advantages from incarnate avatar, so it is conceivable that you could form both, but more likely you select one, there is no real RAW basis for that one.

Still curious about this one if anyone knows.

A 563
Polymorph is based off of alter self, which says

However, the extra HP is not listed as one of those and is thus a natural quality, and does not disappear upon polymorphing.
[quote=SRD]Natural Abilities
This category includes abilities a creature has because of its physical nature. Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.

Khedrac
2014-02-02, 03:13 AM
A 570 If a prestige class that advances spellcasting makes no mention of the type of spellcasting it advances (e.g. Arcane or Divine) then one can choose any one spellcasting class one possesses to be advanced.

I have not checked Maester, but if it does not state then yes, you can advance divine spellcasting with it.
The most well-known of these is Sacred Exorcist which is used for most Gish builds to advance arcane casting.

unseenmage
2014-02-02, 03:18 AM

A 563
Polymorph is based off of alter self, which says

However, the extra HP is not listed as one of those and is thus a natural quality, and does not disappear upon polymorphing.

I cannot tell if this is a, Yes they change.', or a, 'No they don't change.'
Could you please clarify?

TheG
2014-02-02, 04:39 AM
Q 572: Is possible to apply custom item guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues) to create custom Grafts (of any type you can craft obv)?

Q 573: In the case of the old (FiendFolio-Lords of Madness-Serpent Kingdoms-Libris Mortis) graft wording, do you must apply the "Special: No space limitation (An item that does not take up one of the spaces on a body costs double.) - Base Price Adjustment: Multiply entire cost by 2 - Example: Ioun stone" cost multiplyer, as the graft are described to not occupy body slots?

Q 574: In the case of the new (Magic of Eberron-Faiths of Eberron) graft wording, can you apply the "No space limitation" cost multyplier to overcome the 5 grafts limitation?

Thx :D

Andezzar
2014-02-02, 05:01 AM
A 572-4

Ask your DM. All custom magic items are made as ruled by the DM. The guidelines are just that, guidelines. A DM can follow them, modify them or abandon them altogether and simply eyeball the worth of the item to be created.

Whether an item that only shares some of the properties of grafts still is a graft is up to the DM as well. There are no rules against creating an item that only works similarly to a graft, unless that item goes into epic item territory.

Flame of Anor
2014-02-02, 08:05 AM
A 568

It doesn't work. It requires a spell slot, and a spell-point wizard doesn't have any spell slots, just points.

It would be reasonable to houserule it, however. The obvious way would be to allow the character to reserve any number of spell points, up to the number used by his highest-level spell. He could later cast one (and only one) spell using that reserve.

Irk
2014-02-02, 02:19 PM
I cannot tell if this is a, Yes they change.', or a, 'No they don't change.'
Could you please clarify?

No, they don't change since the extra HP are a natural quality.

unseenmage
2014-02-02, 02:25 PM
No, they don't change since the extra HP are a natural quality.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-02, 03:52 PM
Q:575

When Do Living Constructs (Warforged) count as constructs for abilities or restrictions that specifically reference Constructs?

Andezzar
2014-02-02, 04:00 PM
A 575

Yes, unless stated otherwise. Warforged are of the Type Construct and have the Subtype Living construct. Unless the Subtype gives an explicit exception, Warforged get all the benefits and drawbacks of the Construct Type.

Malimar
2014-02-02, 07:35 PM
Q576: A character with the Knock-Down feat rolls more than 10 damage against a target, but the target's damage reduction reduces the damage to below 10. Does Knock-Down trigger on this attack?

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-02, 07:53 PM
Q:577

What is the fastest way to gain Endurance as a bonus feat without taking monk levels?

Sniper
2014-02-02, 08:02 PM
Q578

a) Does the 15lbs of Sand that a Sand Shaper carries to take advantage of Dust Magic work if carried in a Bag of Holding?

b) Does the 15lbs of Sand allow him to take advantage of Improved Dust Magic as it does Dust Magic?

kkplx
2014-02-02, 08:05 PM
Q 578

How do you calculate CR for encounters with several creatures that have a fractional CR? Specifically Kobolds?

Q 579

How do PC class levels and CR interact? Take the aforementioned Kobolds - According to the SRD monster classes would set their CR to Class Levels -3 each - what happens with PC classes?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-02, 08:53 PM
A 576 No.

The holder of the Knock-Down feat must deal 10+ points of damage to their target. Damage reduction reduces the damage inflicted, so the target takes less. If DR reduces the damage to under 10 points, Knock-Down does not apply.

A 578 a) No.
Even in nonwaste environments, as long as you carry 15 or more pounds of sand as part of your equipment, you gain the benefit of this class feature.
carry
-verb (used with object), carried, carrying.

1. to take or support from one place to another; convey; transport: He carried her for a mile in his arms. This elevator cannot carry more than ten people.
Bag of Holding

This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size. The bag of holding opens into a nondimensional space: Its inside is larger than its outside dimensions. Regardless of what is put into the bag, it weighs a fixed amount. By the primary definition of "carry", you must support the sand to receive the benefit of Dust Magic. If the Bag of Holding, a pack animal, or another character supports the sand instead, you receive no benefit. (Adding the sand to the Bag of Holding has no impact on what you're supporting; you're only supporting the Bag, while the Bag's magic is supporting its contents.)

A 578 b) No.

The requirement for Improved Dust Magic is to cast a spell "in any sort of waste terrain". That class feature, though similar in name to Dust Magic, has no provision to benefit from carrying sand around.

The Trickster
2014-02-02, 09:41 PM
Q:577

What is the fastest way to gain Endurance as a bonus feat without taking monk levels?

A:577

Uhmmm not sure where monk comes into play, but a ranger gets Endurance as a bonus feat at level 3.

Rolan
2014-02-02, 09:46 PM
Q 580 a: Divine Spell Power (CD) lets me spend a turn attempt as a free action, and treat the result as a modifier to my caster level on the next divine spell I cast in the round. Can I do this multiple times in the same round before casting Hammer of Righteousness (BoED) at the inflated caster level?

Q 580 b: If I first try this in a test fight against an ancient vampire and I roll a 1 on my caster check against his spell resistance, will the table ever stop laughing? (On the bright side, the DM didn't raise any objection to using this in the real campaign)

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-02, 11:20 PM
A:577

Uhmmm not sure where monk comes into play, but a ranger gets Endurance as a bonus feat at level 3.

Undying Way Monk.

Q 577I know about Ranger, is there any other way that takes less than three levels?

TuggyNE
2014-02-02, 11:35 PM
A580a: Yes, but they don't stack. Therefore, only the highest check result will be added.

Irk
2014-02-03, 12:17 AM
Undying Way Monk.

Q 577I know about Ranger, is there any other way that takes less than three levels?
A 577
Frostblood Orc from dragon magic.

Irk
2014-02-03, 12:23 AM
Q578

a) Does the 15lbs of Sand that a Sand Shaper carries to take advantage of Dust Magic work if carried in a Bag of Holding?

b) Does the 15lbs of Sand allow him to take advantage of Improved Dust Magic as it does Dust Magic?

A 578
a) It says 'carried as part of his equipment. I'd argue 'yes', as you're going to be carrying it in a sack anyway, it's not like you'll be holding it in your hands.
b) It doesn't actually say so, which could either be a misprint, or accurate, as the abilities ARE pretty good. Check with your DM I suppose? Actually, since this is by RAW, no. It doesn't say so, only for the first iteration of dust magic. I'd probably let you have it, but I play in hi-op games, so I'm not sure again.

Bottom line: By clear-cut RAW, no.

Kred
2014-02-03, 03:27 AM
A feats at 3rd lvl
Will I lose a feat at the loss of level?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-03, 03:32 AM
A 581 Yes.

From the online Glossary here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_levelloss&alpha=L):
level loss

A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character's base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. A 2nd-level rogue, for example, normally has the evasion ability, but when she is drained to 1st level, she loses that ability. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature (such as a paladin's mount) has abilities tied to a character who has lost a level, the creature's abilities are adjusted to fit the character's new level.

The victim's experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level. For example, a character drained from 2nd to 1st level would drop to 500 experience points.

kkplx
2014-02-03, 09:45 AM
Q 582

If someone has the Shielded Casting feat and an Animated Shield, does he provoke AoO's for casting or not?

kkplx
2014-02-03, 01:50 PM
Q 583

If a cleric trades away both (or all the ones he knows) his Domains for Devotion feats, can he/she still use her domain spell slots to prepare anything?

Flame of Anor
2014-02-03, 03:15 PM
A 582

He doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. However, since you can cast spells with one free hand, and animated shields do not negate spell failure chance or armor check penalty, this is only better than regular shielded casting if you need to be holding something in your other hand.

A 583

You have to prepare domain spells in domain slots. If you don't have any domain spells, you're out of luck.

Andezzar
2014-02-03, 04:39 PM
A 582

He doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. However, since you can cast spells with one free hand, and animated shields do not negate spell failure chance or armor check penalty, this is only better than regular shielded casting if you need to be holding something in your other hand.There are shileds with 0% ASF and -0 ACP. A Mithral Heavy Shield is one of them.

Flame of Anor
2014-02-03, 06:06 PM
There are shileds with 0% ASF and -0 ACP. A Mithral Heavy Shield is one of them.

A mithral heavy shield has 5% ASF: base 15%, mithral -10%.

But my point is that the ASF and ACP will not be improved by making the shield an animated one.

Osiris
2014-02-03, 06:42 PM
Undying Way Monk.

I think there's a Desert Dwarf or something that has Heat Endurance. It doesn't give you all of Endurance's benefits, though.

Q 584 Do the spheres created by Smoky Confinement have a fixed radius? I want to know how many of them would fit in an iron pot. Multiply that by 16. I'm using Chain Shrink Item on my Smoky Confinements and stuffing them all in a pot. The question is, how many?

questionmark693
2014-02-03, 11:58 PM
Q 585

Do racial hit die count towards my initiator level (ToB) like multiclass levels do? That is, at a 2 rhd for one IL ratio?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-04, 03:05 AM
A 585 No.
If you are a single-class character, your initiator level equals your level in the class that provides access to martial maneuvers (crusader, swordsage, or warblade). If you lack any martial adept levels, your initiator level is equal to 1/2 your character level.
If you are a multiclass martial adept, and you learn a new maneuver by attaining a new level in a martial adept class, determine your initiator level by adding together your level in that class + 1/2 your levels in all other classes. Racial hit dice are a component of your total character level, but are only counted for IL determination if you completely lack martial adept levels. If you have any martial adept levels, only class levels enter the IL computation.

Thurbane
2014-02-04, 05:04 AM
Q 586

Does a Maug character get proficiency in the two-bladed sword mentioned in it's entry? Also, does it get heavy armor proficiency (as it is mentioned as wearing full plate in it's monster entry).

Sniper
2014-02-04, 05:23 AM
Q587

If I have Empower Spell, Energy Substitution, and Born of the Three Thunders, then use retraining to train away Empower Spell, does Born of the Three Thunders satisfy the requirement of Energy Substitution of having a metamagic feat?

Rejusu
2014-02-04, 05:28 AM
Q588

Regarding the Goliath Barbarian racial substitution level and Mountain rage. The description says that he does not gain "additional benefits on weapon size and grapple checks, since he already has them from his powerful build ability". However it makes no mention of the other benefits granted by powerful build (bull rush, trip, being treated as a category larger when determining if the dragon can swallow you).

Does mountain rage override powerful build completely when active or just some of its benefits?

Q589

Are there any magic items that grant additional uses of rage?

Karnith
2014-02-04, 08:01 AM
Q 586

Does a Maug character get proficiency in the two-bladed sword mentioned in it's entry? Also, does it get heavy armor proficiency (as it is mentioned as wearing full plate in it's monster entry).
A 586

As humanoid-shaped Constructs, Maugs are proficient with whatever weapons they are listed as wielding in their entry, and hence they are proficient with the two-bladed sword. Creatures of the Construct type receive no type-based armor proficiencies, and as there is no mention of armor proficiency in the Maug's entry (as far as I can tell), Maugs do not have heavy armor proficiency. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType):

A construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
[...]
Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with no armor.

Andezzar
2014-02-04, 09:35 AM
A 586 Addendum

A creature’s armor proficiencies (if it has any) depend on its type, but in general a creature is automatically proficient with any kind of armor it is described as wearing (light, medium, or heavy), and with all lighter kinds of armor.

So even if the Maug does not get armor proficiency from its type it get heavy armor proficiency because its entry mentions that it wears a full plate.

Chronos
2014-02-04, 09:41 AM
A 585 contention:

Racial hit dice are treated just like class levels, and a creature with racial hit dice and class levels is treated the same as any other multiclassed character. Thus, one would get the same half IL advancement from RHD as one would from any other class.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-04, 01:24 PM
Re: A 585 contention
Racial hit dice are treated just like class levels, and a creature with racial hit dice and class levels is treated the same as any other multiclassed character.
That's explicitly contradicted by the rules.
racial Hit Die

The Hit Dice a monster has by virtue of what type of creature it is. Hit Dice gained from taking class levels are not racial Hit Dice. While you may favor a house rule which would treat racial HD the same as class levels for multiclassed martial adepts, the authors of Tome of Battle only factored their class levels into the IL computation. The RAW answer is clear.

Flame of Anor
2014-02-04, 03:06 PM
A 587

Yes. They act as each other's prerequisite.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-04, 04:23 PM
A587 contention: No. From the SRD

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
There is no qualifying language to suggest that one can "replace" prerequisites with another feat gained at a later level. When you take Energy Substitution, Empower Spell is the prerequisite. By giving up Empower Spell later, you have lost a prerequisite and can no longer use Energy Substitution.

Andezzar
2014-02-04, 05:23 PM

There is no qualifying language to suggest that one can "replace" prerequisites with another feat gained at a later level. When you take Energy Substitution, Empower Spell is the prerequisite. By giving up Empower Spell later, you have lost a prerequisite and can no longer use Energy Substitution.No, you have not. The prerequisite for Energy substitution is not Empower Spell, but any metamagic Feat. Born of the Three Thunders is a metamagic feat. So as long as you have Born of the Three Thunders you have a metamagic feat, which enables Energy substitution which enables Born of the Three Thunders.

Rejusu
2014-02-04, 06:02 PM

There is no qualifying language to suggest that one can "replace" prerequisites with another feat gained at a later level. When you take Energy Substitution, Empower Spell is the prerequisite. By giving up Empower Spell later, you have lost a prerequisite and can no longer use Energy Substitution.

A587 contention contention:

By RAW there's nothing to suggest you can't replace them either. The only requirement for using a feat is fulfilling the prerequisites. If these are non specific (e.g. "Any metamagic feat") then anything that meets that condition can serve as the prerequisite, regardless of whether you had it when you obtained the feat.

Of note is the fact that losing a prerequisite does not mean you lose the feat, you just lose the use of it. You regain the use of it once you are able to meet the prerequisites once more.

Flame of Anor
2014-02-04, 08:46 PM
in re 587

You never lose the prerequisite. The prerequisite is "has another metamagic feat". This is always true.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-04, 10:27 PM
Re: A587 contention within a contention within a contention (inception?): Still no. The definition of a prerequisite is "a thing required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist." A metamagic feat taken prior to Energy Substitution is a prerequisite. A metamagic feat taken after Energy Substitution is not a prerequisite, since it is not a prior condition. The only exception to this definition is provided in the rules. From the SRD:

A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.
If one had multiple metamagic feats prior to taking Energy Substitution and retrained away one, they would still meet the prerequisite as they need not specify which of their prior metamagic feats is the prerequisite. If one retrained away the only metamagic feat taken prior to Energy Substitution, thus leaving a metamagic feat taken after Energy Substitution, they have lost the prerequisite for Energy Substitution by the definition of the term. They would still have the prerequisite for Born of the Three Thunders as they haven't lost Energy Substitution...just the ability to use it. I'm open to RAW citations to the contrary, but anything else would probably warrant a separate thread.

heavyfuel
2014-02-04, 11:55 PM
A 588

I'm AFB right now, but if the description you posted is true, than you would get the benefit from both in the scenarios not mentioned (though it seems pretty clear that this isn't RAI)

A 589

Not excatly what you're looking for, but MIC has +1 enhancement that makes your rage last for +3 turns and gives you a bonus against fear if i'm not mistaken.

heavyfuel
2014-02-04, 11:57 PM
Q 590

Does charisma from items (like a +2 cloak of cha) give you extra turning attempts? What about spells like Eagle's Splendor?

broodax
2014-02-05, 12:53 AM
Re: A587 contention within a contention within a contention (inception?): Still no. The definition of a prerequisite is "a thing required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist." A metamagic feat taken prior to Energy Substitution is a prerequisite. A metamagic feat taken after Energy Substitution is not a prerequisite, since it is not a prior condition. The only exception to this definition is provided in the rules.

This definition of prerequisite is incompatible with the rule governing prerequisites that are lost. If one has a thing as a "prior condition" then losing it afterward does not change that fact. It was still had as a "prior condition". As long as one has the prerequisite before the, in this case, feat, in question, one can never lose that prerequisite (without time travel).

The more logical definition of prerequisite, and the one consistent with existing rules is:

something that is necessary to an end or to the carrying out of a function

which has no temporal connotations.

Zombimode
2014-02-05, 04:33 AM
Q 591

The Dread Guard (MM2) is stated with an Int score of 6. Is this sufficient to advance the creature by class levels?

A 590

Yes on both accounts.

A cleric may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.
If it was meant to count only your unmodified modifier, the text would indicate that.

Rejusu
2014-02-05, 05:10 AM
Discussion on Q587 can be continued here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329473).

Chronos
2014-02-05, 10:05 AM
A 591:

Yes. Most standard character races can have an Int that low. The only requirement is that a PC must have an Int of at least 3 (this may also apply to other creatures taking class levels, but I'm not sure it ever explicitly says).

Heliomance
2014-02-05, 12:18 PM
Q 592

Where exactly are the MIC rules on creating specific magical weapons as a different type of weapon?

Andezzar
2014-02-05, 12:22 PM
A 592

I'm not aware of such a rule. Specific magic weapons are just that, specific. You could reverse engineer them of course, but that would be a house rule.

justiceforall
2014-02-05, 06:37 PM
Q593

Does using a Soulknife's Mind Blade ability violate the code of conduct for the Sacred Fist prestige class?

Eaglejarl
2014-02-05, 06:47 PM
Q594

I would like to be able to get a big increase on the flow rate of a standard Decanter of Endless Water. Is there any way to do that, aside from using demi planes with Fast Time traits, or creating a custom magic item?

(By this I mean: it would take 100 minutes to fill a 30,000 gallon pool. Is there any way to do that in 1 round?)

Q595

Certain things say "X can be done once a day". Not "once every 24 hours". By RAW, if you could force a sunset and sunrise, it would presumably be a new day. So, I think if you Greater Teleported across the dateline, you could then use your "once per day" abilities again. Is there anything in RAW that disallows this?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-05, 07:51 PM
A 593 Yes.

The Soulknife's Mind Blade is a blade, wielded as a blade, and can be sundered as a blade. The Sacred Fist refuses to use any weapon, which obviously includes all blades. The SF Code of Conduct makes no exceptions for blades of nonstandard construction; all such weapons are forbidden.

A 594

You can buy multiples of the item.

A 595 Ask your DM.

Some DMs will allow such shenanigans; others will not.

Eaglejarl
2014-02-05, 08:27 PM
Request for expansion:

A 594

You can buy multiples of the item.

The question was "can this be done with *a* Decanter"--singular (or, at the least, a small number...say, 5-10). I'm looking for spells or items that increase the abilities of another item, mess with time, etc.

A 595 Ask your DM.

Some DMs will allow such shenanigans; others will not.

The question was, "is there anything in RAW that *disallows* this?"

Curmudgeon
2014-02-06, 01:08 AM
Re: A 595
The question was, "is there anything in RAW that *disallows* this?"
Yes. D&D reserves all in-game definitions of ambiguous rules terms to the DM, so you (a player) cannot make such presumptions.
Certain things say "X can be done once a day". Not "once every 24 hours". By RAW, if you could force a sunset and sunrise, it would presumably be a new day. Your DM may specify that a day requires 24 hours as well as a sun cycle. Consequently, you must ask them for a definition instead of presuming anything — exactly as I stated originally. From page 4 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
The DM defines the game.
The power of creating worlds, controlling deities and dragons, and leading entire nations is in your hands. You are the master of the game—the rules, the setting, the action, and ultimately, the fun.

Heliomance
2014-02-06, 04:06 AM
A 592

I'm not aware of such a rule. Specific magic weapons are just that, specific. You could reverse engineer them of course, but that would be a house rule.

Really? I've heard it mentioned many times that the MIC provides rules for putting specific weapon effects on a different base. Is it not actually true?

Mordrigar
2014-02-06, 05:15 AM
Q596
Can Fire Elemental be subject to "Shivering Touch" spell? If yes, do you apply "vulnerability to cold" to it?

Q597
Can you have "Metamorphosis" power from the Egoist discipline list without being an Egoist? via feats or other ways.

weckar
2014-02-06, 06:43 AM
Q598
Does the Up the Walls (Psionic) feat allow one to end their movement on a horizontal ceiling?

The Trickster
2014-02-06, 08:55 AM
A598

I don't see why not, but if you don't have a way to stay on the ceiling, then you would still fall.

Rejusu
2014-02-06, 09:10 AM
Q599: When does the effect of the knockback feat resolve when making a full attack? Is it after all my attacks?

Chronos
2014-02-06, 10:20 AM
A 597:

Yes. The Expanded Knowledge feat does exactly that, and is a popular choice for psions.

A 599:

Knockback triggers when you score a hit. If you use it on your first attack of a full attack, then the opponent will be moved back before your second attack.

kkplx
2014-02-06, 12:54 PM
Q 600

Disease Immunity appears to not actually be an immunity - reading the SRD it seems that class abilities and items have to specify explicitly that it makes the creature immune to both normal and supernatural diseases - Does this mean that creatures with disease immunity are still affected by supernatural diseases, or is the explicit wording simply there because there's stuff that gives immunity only versus mundane diseases?

Periapt of Health (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#periaptofHealth)

Divine Health (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Paladin)

Curmudgeon
2014-02-06, 02:48 PM
A 596 Yes, and yes.

Shivering Touch is a [Cold] spell, so vulnerability to cold applies. Note that the touch attack needed to deliver Shivering Touch to a Fire Elemental has its own risks:
Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save. Touch attacks are unarmed or natural weapon attacks.

Irk
2014-02-06, 03:53 PM
Q 601
could psychic knowledge from the Mind's eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) be used to qualify for a PrC that required bardic knowledge?
Q 602
Are there any playable races with the plant subtype?

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 04:53 PM
A 592

On page 46, at the beginning of the Speciffic Weapons section, it states "The following weapons are usually constructed with the properties described here. You can increase the enhancement bonus of these weapons or add more special properties just as you would for any other item."

Emphasis mine.

Andezzar
2014-02-06, 04:56 PM
A 592

On page 46, at the beginning of the Speciffic Weapons section, it states "The following weapons are usually constructed with the properties described here. You can increase the enhancement bonus of these weapons or add more special properties just as you would for any other item."

Emphasis mine.That has nothing to do with the question and does not answer whether the properties of for example a Frostbrand could be added to a Greataxe.

Thurbane
2014-02-06, 06:10 PM
Q 603

Does the armor check penalty of Hellforged armor (DMGs) decrease by one, or increase by one?

TrueJordan
2014-02-06, 07:22 PM
Q 603a and b
Do natural bonuses stack? Like if I cast barkskin on an animal, will the +4 (or more) go in place of their natural armor or instead of it?

Also the [animal][noun] spells, do those stack if you have a magical item that grants a bonus?
i.e. if I cast Owl's Wisdom on myself but I'm wearing a periept of wisdom +2, does the bonus become +6 or just +4?

Thurbane
2014-02-06, 07:30 PM
A 602

Plant is a type, not a subtype.

Volodni (LA +2), Unapproachable East.
Needlefolk (3 RHD, LA +1), Monster Manual 2
Twig Blight (LA +2), Monster Manual 2.

There may be others with higher ECLs as well (such as the Treant, ECL 12).

Flame of Anor
2014-02-06, 07:42 PM
A 603

I believe the text says it "improves by 1", yes? In that case it decreases by one, since a lower penalty is an improvement.

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 08:20 PM
That has nothing to do with the question and does not answer whether the properties of for example a Frostbrand could be added to a Greataxe.

Hrmm... I must have been projecting onto it. Sorry about that. I swear I saw something for this though, let me keep looking, as now I am currious.

A 603 a&b Barkskin provides and enhancement bonus and thus stacks with the creature's default NA. also
The enhancement bonus provided by barkskin stacks with the target's natural armor bonus, but not with other enhancement bonuses to natural armor.

Enhancement bonuses do not stack, only the best will apply, so for your example you would have a +4 bonus to wisdom. Stacking Rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects)

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 08:33 PM
A 589

Not excatly what you're looking for, but MIC has +1 enhancement that makes your rage last for +3 turns and gives you a bonus against fear if i'm not mistaken.

Brash
+1
+3 rnds to Rage and Immunity to fear.

Vaz
2014-02-06, 09:05 PM
A 602

Plant is a type, not a subtype.

Volodni (LA +2), Unapproachable East.
Needlefolk (3 RHD, LA +1), Monster Manual 2
Twig Blight (LA +2), Monster Manual 2.

There may be others with higher ECLs as well (such as the Treant, ECL 12).

For the sake of completion, there is the Woodling, which while not changing the type, provides Plant traits (arguably more for template stacking rather than any other purpose, and hence a DM tool). +3, from MM3, IIRC.

TrueJordan
2014-02-06, 09:16 PM
A 603 a&b Barkskin provides and enhancement bonus and thus stacks with the creature's default NA. also

Enhancement bonuses do not stack, only the best will apply, so for your example you would have a +4 bonus to wisdom. Stacking Rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects)

Thanks mate. Owl's Insight should work.
Enjoy your day.

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 09:44 PM
Thanks mate. Owl's Insight should work.
Enjoy your day.

Owl's Insight (http://dndtools.eu/spells/magic-of-faerun--20/owls-insight--1780/) or Owl's Wisdom (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/owls-wisdom--2848/)?

They are both enhancement bonuses(boni?) so only the best would apply, and Insight is 3.0 so it may not be allowed, check with your DM.

Thurbane
2014-02-06, 09:53 PM
Owl's Insight (http://dndtools.eu/spells/magic-of-faerun--20/owls-insight--1780/) or Owl's Wisdom (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/owls-wisdom--2848/)?

They are both enhancement bonuses(boni?) so only the best would apply, and Insight is 3.0 so it may not be allowed, check with your DM.
Correction: Owl's Insight is an untyped bonus, so it will stack with an enhancement bonus.

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 10:40 PM
Correction: Owl's Insight is an untyped bonus, so it will stack with an enhancement bonus.

You invest your target with a taste of the ancient wisdom inherent in nature.
The target gains an enhancement bonus to his Wisdom score equal to half your level

emphasis mine.

Dimers
2014-02-06, 10:50 PM
Sorry, folks, you're both wrong. Owl's Insight (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/owls-insight--4619/) is updated in the 3.5 Spell Compendium, and the bonus type it gives is "insight" (appropriately enough). The amount is still 1/2 your level.

Q 604

A burst is always measured from a grid intersection. In the case of a burst centered on the caster, does the caster choose one grid intersection on a square they occupy? I need a citation, if at all possible.

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 10:53 PM
Sorry, folks, you're both wrong. Owl's Insight (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/owls-insight--4619/) is updated in the 3.5 Spell Compendium, and the bonus type it gives is "insight" (appropriately enough). The amount is still 1/2 your level.

Q 604

A burst is always measured from a grid intersection. In the case of a burst centered on the caster, does the caster choose one grid intersection on a square they occupy? I need a citation, if at all possible.

So it has! I'm not sure how I missed that one, as dndtools even has a link at the bottom for other source books. Sweetness though!

A 604 PHB 175 has this to say... "Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point."

Dimers
2014-02-06, 11:18 PM
A 604 PHB 175 has this to say... "Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point."

Thank you, buuuuut ...

*sound of gears grinding and clanking in Dimers's head*

Hmm. There are two separate problems here. First, if the caster is Large or bigger, does the burst distance count from each of your edges, or from a single grid intersection? One would make a Large creature's burst notably larger than a Medium creature's, and the other would make it teeny because it'd be overlapping you.

The other problem is if the caster is either Huge or Fine-through-Medium, taking up an odd number of squares on a side. A burst "centered on" you geometrically wouldn't count from a grid intersection, but instead from the middle of a square. In that case (if the burst doesn't extend its distance in all directions from all grid intersections you touch) it's important to know whether the caster chooses which grid intersection it counts from.

(( EDIT: Ah, I see -- my issue is that "you" never equates to "a point". ))

Ugh, what a mess. Lemme sum up: TL;DR -- does a burst "centered on" the caster count its full distance from all corners of the caster's outer edge? And as before, a citation would be very much appreciated.

Skevvix
2014-02-06, 11:55 PM
Thank you, buuuuut ...

*sound of gears grinding and clanking in Dimers's head*

--snip--
Ugh, what a mess. Lemme sum up: TL;DR -- does a burst "centered on" the caster count its full distance from all corners of the caster's outer edge? And as before, a citation would be very much appreciated.

Same page in PHB a litter earlier in the aiming a spell section states... "Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection."

As this reads I would say it is one of the intersections you touch, whichever of them is most advantageous to you.

Dalebert
2014-02-07, 12:41 AM
As this reads I would say it is one of the intersections you touch, whichever of them is most advantageous to you.

I'm inclined to interpret it the same way. So a medium-sized caster would have four choices. A large caster would have nine choices. Is that how you mean?

kardar233
2014-02-07, 01:48 AM
Q605:

How does a dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm)'s Crush extraordinary ability interact with Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm)?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-07, 04:26 AM
Re: A 604
So a medium-sized caster would have four choices. A large caster would have nine choices. Is that how you mean?
That's correct. If the effect moves with the caster, the relative orientation stays the same. That means if the character picks their "northeast" corner for the spell origin at casting, the effect will consistently radiate from their "northeast" corner even if they move. (Because D&D lacks "facing", the orientation is always with respect to the map rather than the character.)

A 605
Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.
The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin. If the target does not succeed on their Reflex save the Dragon will pin them with their Crush attack. However, Freedom of Movement lets the pinned character automatically escape, so the Dragon is effectively moved off them before any damage can be dealt a round later. The Dragon cannot do any damage vs. a target with Freedom of Movement, but it might cost them an action to escape the Crush.

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 05:29 AM
Q 606

Having trouble finding a feat. I recall a feat that allows you to cast a spell in the middle of moving - similar to Shot on the Run, but for spells. Anyone?

Q 607

Would the CR for an Ixitxachitl Beguiler 6 be 6, or 7?

OMG PONIES
2014-02-07, 08:00 AM
A606: Mobile Spellcasting from Complete Adventurer may be what you're looking for. It technically allows you to move and cast as a standard action rather than casting in the middle of a move, but the end result is the same. Standard action to move and cast, move action to keep moving.

Dalebert
2014-02-07, 09:08 AM
A606: Mobile Spellcasting

Q 608 That's nice. Can anyone think of any reason that wouldn't work in conjunction with the Sudden Shift Transmuter alternate class feature?

The Trickster
2014-02-07, 10:17 AM
Q 606

Having trouble finding a feat. I recall a feat that allows you to cast a spell in the middle of moving - similar to Shot on the Run, but for spells. Anyone?

Q 607

Would the CR for an Ixitxachitl Beguiler 6 be 6, or 7?

Using Urpriest's Improving monsters thread, adding 6 levels of a class to a CR1 monster would make the creature with a CR of 7.

Metahuman1
2014-02-07, 11:21 AM
Q 609 Are there any Bard spells that boost Knowledge Checks similar to Glibness or Serene Visage?

AlanBruce
2014-02-07, 03:54 PM
Q. 610

Can Incorporeal creatures be hit normally by a dragon's breath weapon without having to roll for a miss chance?

The Trickster
2014-02-07, 05:12 PM
Q. 610

Can Incorporeal creatures be hit normally by a dragon's breath weapon without having to roll for a miss chance?

A610

They are hit normally. A dragon's breathe weapon is a supernatural ability. I was wrong. Ignore this.

Having no physical body. Incorporeal creatures are immune to all nonmagical attack forms. They can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, +1 or better magic weapons, spells, spell-like effects, or supernatural effects.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-07, 05:14 PM
A 610 No.

An incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a magical corporeal source, which includes a Dragon's Supernatural breath weapon.

The Trickster
2014-02-07, 05:21 PM
Q 609 Are there any Bard spells that boost Knowledge Checks similar to Glibness or Serene Visage?

A609

Focusing Shout from CoAdventurer gives a +1 to all skill checks.

Improvision is a good one, from SpC;

You gain access to a floating "pool" of luck, which manifests as bonus points you can use as desired to improve your odds of success at various tasks. This bonus pool consists of 2 points per caster level, which you can spend as you like to improve attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks, although no single check can receive a bonus greater than one-half your caster level. You must declare any bonus point usage before the appropriate roll is made. Used points disappear from the pool, and any points remaining when the spell ends are wasted. These points count as luck bonuses for the purpose of stacking.
For example, a 14th-level bard pauses while chasing a pickpocket to cast improvisation. At any time during the next 14 rounds, he could use the points to provide himself a +7 luck bonus on a Spot check, a +7 luck bonus on a Climb check, and a +7 luck bonus on two of his attacks.

Loresong, from Dragon Magazine

Loresong
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You gain temporary mastery in a skill, even one that you have never studied before. When you complete this spell, select a single skill (other than Speak Language). You gain a +4 competence bonus on all checks with it, with an additional +1 bonus for every 2 caster levels, and you may use it untrained.

The Trickster
2014-02-07, 05:31 PM
A 610 No.

An incorporeal creature has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a magical corporeal source, which includes a Dragon's Supernatural breath weapon.

May I ask where you got this source from? My answer was from the Monster Manual. Did they errata it?

Skevvix
2014-02-07, 05:42 PM
May I ask where you got this source from? My answer was from the Monster Manual. Did they errata it?

SRD:
It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons).

The sentence that followed the one you quoted.

The Trickster
2014-02-07, 05:59 PM
SRD:

The sentence that followed the one you quoted.

Well I feel dumb. Thank you. I'll change my post.

Osiris
2014-02-07, 06:51 PM
Q 611 If you use an eldrich blast, does it provoke AOO's?

nyjastul69
2014-02-07, 06:57 PM
A 611: Yes

Chronos
2014-02-07, 08:38 PM
A 611 addendum:
You can choose to make a Concentration check to use your blast (or invocations, or any other spell-like ability) on the defensive, just like with a spell. In this case, you don't provoke, but the ability fizzles if you fail the Concentration check.

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 09:05 PM
A 611 addendum additional

As a ranged attack, the eldritch blast would still provoke an opportunity. If you did not "cast" defensively, it would provoke two. The AoO for using a ranged attack would not be able to disrupt the blast, however.

Skevvix
2014-02-08, 12:55 AM
Q 612Are Ur Priest and Sublime Chord the only two quick progression PrCs?

Thurbane
2014-02-08, 01:09 AM
A 612

It's a somewhat broad question, but both Apostle of Peace and Divine Crusader get 9th level spells in 10 level PrCs. There are others that get "quick progression" casting to varying degrees.

KrimsonNekros
2014-02-08, 04:52 AM
Q613

What is the starting wealth for a level 1 Dread Necromancer?

Sniper
2014-02-08, 04:58 AM
Q614

If I use a class feature to learn a bard spell on a non bard class (ie a beguiler/recaster) does the limitation on bardic spells not being eligable for silent spell still apply?

KrimsonNekros
2014-02-08, 05:02 AM
Q614

If I use a class feature to learn a bard spell on a non bard class (ie a beguiler/recaster) does the limitation on bardic spells not being eligable for silent spell still apply?

A614

I don't believe so.

As far as I know the Bard's spells are the same as the Wizard/Sorcerer's version. He just has a much more limited pool of spells to spells to draw from than the latter two classes and must use a verbal component due to his casting ability being tied to music.

Karnith
2014-02-08, 08:11 AM
Q613

What is the starting wealth for a level 1 Dread Necromancer?
A 614

The Dread Necromancer class has no starting gold listed. This is a problem with the Heroes of Horror base classes that was never rectified. Consult with your DM about what amount of starting gold is appropriate.

Telok
2014-02-08, 08:15 AM
Q615: It was noticed that there is no alignment restirction on a paladin's mount. Are there any lowish CR, evil aligned, animals?

Zombimode
2014-02-08, 08:33 AM
A 615

Animals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType) are never evil-aligned. They are always true neutral.

Osiris
2014-02-08, 08:59 AM
Q 616 what spells affect incorporeal targets besides magic missile, shard storm, or wall of force? I'm considering taking transdimensional spell.

Chronos
2014-02-08, 10:32 AM
A 616:
All magical effects have at least a 50% chance to affect incorporeal creatures. In addition, all spells with the [force] descriptor, as well as all spells using positive or negative energy (such as Cure or Inflict spells), affect incorporeal creatures without the 50% failure chance.

Osiris
2014-02-08, 11:28 AM
Thanks, but I meant specific spells.

Q 617 what are some good minions I could bind to my will with Lesser Planar Binding?

Belkarseviltwin
2014-02-08, 12:23 PM
A 612

It's a somewhat broad question, but both Apostle of Peace and Divine Crusader get 9th level spells in 10 level PrCs. There are others that get "quick progression" casting to varying degrees.

To add to A 612 I believe Blighter also does.

Chronos
2014-02-08, 12:35 PM
Thanks, but I meant specific spells.
There are a great many spells that meet that description, enough that a list of them here would be impractical. If you just want the worthwhile ones, that's a value judgement, and thus not appropriate for this thread. Likewise,

Q 617 what are some good minions I could bind to my will with Lesser Planar Binding?
A 617: This is also not appropriate for this thread. The only RAW answer is "Any elemental or outsider with 6 HD or less".

Metahuman1
2014-02-08, 04:02 PM
Q 618 What page of Secrets of Xen'drik has the Primordial Giant Template?

Karnith
2014-02-08, 04:05 PM
Q 618 What page of Secrets of Xen'drik has the Primordial Giant Template?
A 618

The Primordial Giant template is detailed on pages 79-81 of Secrets of Xen'drik.

SirKillalot
2014-02-08, 05:27 PM
Q 619:

My Strength score is 12 (with a +1 ability modifier). Rules from PH stat that off-hand attacks only get 1/2 Strength modifier on damage, so does my off-hand attack get +0 or +1 damage?

In other words: is it rounded UP or rounded DOWN?

Taelas
2014-02-08, 05:32 PM
A619:

All such fractions are generally rounded down. See General Guidelines and Glossary, Player's Handbook page 304: "Rounding Fractions".

Coldsturm
2014-02-08, 08:26 PM
Q620

Would I be able to pick up Thicket of Blades stance with 2levels in crusader and 7 in RKV? It says to stack your IL and stuff in the stances and maneuver section in the description for RKV.

Irk
2014-02-09, 12:44 AM
Q 621
I've seen people say that by RAW, you can't get the vecna blooded template, since his avatar does not have blood, but since bone marrow produces red blood cells, could that count?

A 620
Assuming you have at least one devoted spirit maneuver, yes.

unseenmage
2014-02-09, 03:54 AM
Q622

Is there a Large playable race or creature that gets a bonus to Int? Preferably of no more than +3 LA?

Sir Pippin Boyd
2014-02-09, 05:39 AM
Q623:
The feat "Chain Spell" requires that the modified spell has a range greater than touch and that the base spell targets a single creature.

The Summon Monster spell has a range of Close and a target of "One Summoned Creature"

Does this mean I can use Chain Spell on Summon Monster to summon up to 1/CL creatures?

Andezzar
2014-02-09, 05:43 AM
A 623

No. You may want to look again. Summon Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm) does not have a target. It has "Effect: One summoned creature".

Taelas
2014-02-09, 06:20 AM
A622: Primordial half-ogre has +2 Int and LA +2. Half-ogre is from Races of Destiny and the primordial giant template is from Secrets of Xen'drik.

Garloth
2014-02-09, 07:55 AM
Q623
How much would item giving the benefits of Belt of Magnificience + Monk's Belt cost?

Sith_Happens
2014-02-09, 08:27 AM
A 623

According to the guidelines in the DMG, which become actual rules if your game uses the Magic Item Compendium, the price would be 44500 gp for a +2 belt, 119500 gp for a +4 belt, and 219500 gp for a +6 belt.

Note that, due to having a market price above 200000 gp before accounting for the components of the prerequisite spells, the +6 belt would be considered an Epic item.

Dalebert
2014-02-09, 08:33 AM
A 623 Price of the most expensive item + 1.5 times the cost of the less expensive item.

The Trickster
2014-02-09, 11:42 AM
Q 621
I've seen people say that by RAW, you can't get the vecna blooded template, since his avatar does not have blood, but since bone marrow produces red blood cells, could that count?

A 620
Assuming you have at least one devoted spirit maneuver, yes.

A 621

I don't think you need blood at all. Even though the basic template description mentions blood for all of the god-blooded types, each template specifically talks about how the blood is used. (Gnoll blooded drinks the blood of another gnoll they killed, I think). All except Vecna.

“Vecna-blooded” is an acquired template that can be added to any evil creature capable of casting 2nd-level or higher arcane spells. When an arcane spellcaster manages to unravel the Seven Riddles of Vecna, that individual can become Vecna- blooded. None know the true nature of these riddles, but solving them sends a caster to a pocket dimension known as the Oubliette of Secrets. There, after exposure to a number of bizarre tortures and ordeals at the hands of a strange creature known as the Anchorite, the caster emerges as a Vecna-blooded creature. The creature loses all distinguishing characteristics, hair, and other traits, keeping only a small, thin mouth, the faintest trace of a nose, and eyes. These changes are permanent and remain even after the creature loses this template.

IIRC, this specific ritual trumps the basic definition.

Jon_Dahl
2014-02-09, 12:31 PM
Q624

Intro
PC: "Hello Mr. NPC Armorsmith! Can you make me a mithril full plate? I will provide the mithril. How much mithril do you need and how much will you charge me?"
NPC Armorsmith: "I will need 1500 gp worth of mithril. The work itself costs 3000 gp. But since you are just an ordinary customer, the whole thing will cost you 9000 gp minus the 1500 gp provided by you. So that will be 7500 gp."

Question
Am I right? If I'm not right, can you please correct me in a clear and easy-to-understand way?

Metahuman1
2014-02-09, 12:33 PM
Q 625 Can Use Magic Device be used to convince a Relic that you meet the requirements to use it's relic power if you worship the same deity but don't have the true believer feat or divine spells to sacrifice to power it?

Khedrac
2014-02-09, 12:34 PM
A624 I am sorry, but this has no RAW answer beyond "ask your DM". The rules do not specify anything beyond the change in total cost for crafting items of special materials.

Frogteam
2014-02-09, 02:00 PM
Q 626 Does Energy Resistance from classes stack, if I have one level in Elemental Savant for Resistance 5 [Cold] and two levels in Frost Mage for Resistance 10 [Cold] do I now have Resistance 15 [Cold] or just Resistance 10 [Cold] since it's the highest?

Sith_Happens
2014-02-09, 02:39 PM
A 626

Yes, Stitch can say goodbye.
Does not stack. Also, BLUE PUNCH BUGGY!

Andezzar
2014-02-09, 04:32 PM
A 625

No. UMD only allows you to emulate race, alignment or class feature. Feats and sacrificed spells are not among those options.

TrueJordan
2014-02-09, 06:36 PM
Q 627

If a planar shepherd wildshapes into a celestial or fiendish or shadow magical beast, does he retain all of the bonuses the template grants?

HobbesB
2014-02-09, 06:44 PM
Q628

Do bite of the WereXXX stack? Can I cast Bite of the Wererat and Bite of The Werewolf on my animal companion, and give it +10 to Dex, +6 to Natural Armor, +4 to Con, and +2 to Strength?

The Trickster
2014-02-09, 07:07 PM
Q628

Do bite of the WereXXX stack? Can I cast Bite of the Wererat and Bite of The Werewolf on my animal companion, and give it +10 to Dex, +6 to Natural Armor, +4 to Con, and +2 to Strength?

A628

No. Bonuses of the same type do not stack (with few exceptions). Each of those spells give an enhancement bonus to stats, so they would not stack with eachother.

TrueJordan
2014-02-09, 08:12 PM
A628

No. Bonuses of the same type do not stack (with few exceptions). Each of those spells give an enhancement bonus to stats, so they would not stack with eachother.

Q 628b
What about Bite of the X and Wildshape, in terms of Strength, con, dex, and nat armor?

Malimar
2014-02-09, 09:41 PM
Here's some easy ones about ravages! Just double-checking my interpretations:

Q629a: Undead are generally immune to poison and most effects that call for a fortitude save. Ravages/afflictions work like poisons/diseases and call for fortitude saves, but they specifically mention extra effects suffered by evil undead. Specific Trumps General means that ravages/afflictions do work on evil undead, yes?

Q629b: Ravages/afflictions cause the damage listed on the table, plus the victim's charisma bonus. I'm reading that right, yes? There's no double-secret errata or Sage rulings or anything that change this?

Q629c: The "Any evil creature you touch with your bare hand" clause in the Touch Of Golden Ice feat: am I reading it correctly that a character with this feat can invoke it by making a melee touch attack, or am I somehow equivocating on the word "touch"?

Niwrad
2014-02-09, 10:33 PM
Q630: Does a dimensional anchor effect attached to an unhallow spell prevent entrance into a rope trick?

The Trickster
2014-02-09, 11:04 PM
What about Bite of the X and Wildshape, in terms of Strength, con, dex, and nat armor?

Those should stack, because wildshaping changes your strength to the creature (it isn't typed).

Curmudgeon
2014-02-09, 11:22 PM
A 627 Ask your DM.

The Planar Shepherd Wild Shape extension (Faiths of Eberron, page 106) says it allows changing into a form with a template. However, the Player's Handbook Errata file says that Wild Shape functions like Alternate Form, which expressly forbids changing into a form with a template. The Primary Sources Errata Rule says that in the case of a disagreement, the primary source (in this case, the Player's Handbook for class abilities) is correct. On the other hand, the date of printing for Faiths of Eberron (2006 September) is later than the date of the PH Errata file (2006 February 17). So this Wild Shape prestige class extension could be construed as either (1) a conscious exception to the normal rule; or (2) an oversight where FoE was already in the publishing pipeline and didn't get corrected when Wild Shape was changed via official Errata.

A 630 Yes.

nyjastul69
2014-02-09, 11:36 PM

Those should stack, because wildshaping changes your strength to the creature (it isn't typed).

Please label each question and answer with bolded numbers in accordance with the thread's guidelines.

druid91
2014-02-10, 12:11 AM
Q: 631

As a ghost could you use alter self to turn into a spectre and thus get early access to what otherwise requires shapechange? It's a bit iffy because it says you can't assume a gaseous or incorporeal form. But then for the sake of argument you were already incorporeal so you wouldn't be assuming an incorporeal form.

shylocke
2014-02-10, 04:39 AM
Q#632

Can I destroy a water elemental by throwing an eversoaking sponge(arms and equipment) into it? If yes would it get a save and would it be sent back to its plane or be destroyed?

Kred
2014-02-10, 07:49 AM
Q633
Mindsight + Burrowing Power
Can i manifest a targeted power on a creature behind the wall?

TuggyNE
2014-02-10, 08:03 AM
A633: Yes. One gives you line of sight, the other allows you to bypass the need for line of effect. Seems pretty straightforward.

TrueJordan
2014-02-10, 09:49 AM
A 627 Ask your DM.

The Planar Shepherd Wild Shape extension (Faiths of Eberron, page 106) says it allows changing into a form with a template. However, the Player's Handbook Errata file says that Wild Shape functions like Alternate Form, which expressly forbids changing into a form with a template. The Primary Sources Errata Rule says that in the case of a disagreement, the primary source (in this case, the Player's Handbook for class abilities) is correct. On the other hand, the date of printing for Faiths of Eberron (2006 September) is later than the date of the PH Errata file (2006 February 17). So this Wild Shape prestige class extension could be construed as either (1) a conscious exception to the normal rule; or (2) an oversight where FoE was already in the publishing pipeline and didn't get corrected when Wild Shape was changed via official Errata.

A 630 Yes.

If 1), Planar Shepherd just became more overpowered than ever before.
Sacred Watcher/Saintly Astral Deva at level 14 (Druid 5/Planar 9)? Why not.

Chronos
2014-02-10, 10:53 AM
A 627 continued:

Before Wild Shape was based on Alternate Form, it was based on Polymorph, which also prohibits taking a templated form. Given this, it seems clear that the text of Planar Shepherd was intended as a specific-trumps-general exception.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-10, 12:11 PM
A 632 No.

An Eversoaking Sponge only functions when "placed in a body of water". A Water Elemental is not a body of water, though it operates in or near one. For a sufficiently small body of water you could make a summoned Water Elemental disappear by absorbing that entire body of water.
A water elemental can’t venture more than 180 feet from the body of water from which it was conjured.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-10, 01:52 PM
Q634: How shapeable is the third use (four 10ft. squares) of the Sculpted Spell? Can I make every kind of Tetris piece out of 10ft. squares? Do they have to be adjacent to each other? What about adjacent but only half of their sides touching (making a sort of ladder shape)? Maybe only their corners? Am I stuck with one huge square?

qwertyu63
2014-02-10, 02:04 PM
Q635:

Can you sunder someone else's pants?

OMG PONIES
2014-02-10, 04:38 PM
Q635:

Can you sunder someone else's pants?

A635: Ask your DM. You can only really "sunder" weapons or shields, however hilarious it might be to sunder a foe's pants. From the SRD:

You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.

While you can't sunder them, you may be able to damage them as a worn object. From the SRD once more:

You don’t use an opposed attack roll to damage a carried or worn object. Instead, just make an attack roll against the object’s AC. A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character. Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. To attempt to snatch away an item worn by a defender rather than damage it, see Disarm. You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.

Since it says you can't sunder armor, a DM may extend that to pants as well. Ask your DM.

Curmudgeon
2014-02-10, 04:49 PM
A 635 It depends.

"Pants" isn't a standard D&D clothing item; the medieval period that D&D models found trousers out of favor, with long tunics and hose being worn instead. Some characters wear robes. Those characters wearing heavier armor would have that over their clothing. You cannot attack clothing you do not have line of sight to.

Assuming the enemy character did wear pants, and you did have line of sight to them, you would automatically fail sundering attacks if the pants provide any armor bonus.
You can’t sunder armor worn by another character. Finally, you might fail if you're damaged by the AoO you provoke.
Attacking a carried or worn object provokes an attack of opportunity just as attacking a held object does. Your individual DM would decide if a Concentration check is necessary to continue with a sunder attack; the rules don't specify either way. If your DM decides a Concentration check is required, the DC is 10 + the damage your receive in the AoO.
If the Concentration check succeeds, you may continue with the action as normal. If the check fails, the action automatically fails and is wasted.

Yogibear41
2014-02-10, 05:38 PM
Q636 Does the insight bonus on damage rolls from bluesteel bracers apply to the spine rend class feature of the spinemeld warrior, or other similar abilities?

Metahuman1
2014-02-10, 06:14 PM
Q 637 What page of the Magic Item Compendium allows people to combine a unique item ability with another one by increasing the price of one of the effects?

Andezzar
2014-02-10, 06:23 PM
A 637

MIC p. 233 Improving Magic Items

Similar rules are in the DMG already. The only difference is that in the DMG all effects after the first on an item that occupies a body slot gets the 50% mark up, in the MIC all but the most expensive effect get the markup (regardless when the effect is added).

I might have misunderstood your question. What do you mean by "unique item ability"?

Metahuman1
2014-02-10, 06:38 PM
A 637

MIC p. 233 Improving Magic Items

Similar rules are in the DMG already. The only difference is that in the DMG all effects after the first on an item that occupies a body slot gets the 50% mark up, in the MIC all but the most expensive effect get the markup (regardless when the effect is added).

I might have misunderstood your question. What do you mean by "unique item ability"?

Let's say I have a Ring of Feather Fall and want to add the benefits of being a ring of water breathing too it. That kinda stuff.

Niwrad
2014-02-10, 08:16 PM
Q638: Can a magical staff (the one with charges), specifically a quarterstaff be enchanted with weapon properties?

Q638b: Could an elvencraft longbow/quarterstaff (races of the wild) then be enchanted with both magical stave abilities and weapon properties?

TuggyNE
2014-02-10, 08:58 PM
A638a: Yes. The staffs of Power and of Woodlands are +2 quarterstaffs along with their regular use; this requires Craft Magic Arms and Armor as well as Craft Staff.

georgie_leech
2014-02-10, 10:01 PM
Q639 If a staff can be enchanted both as a weapon and with spell charges, are the costs combined for determining whether the staff is Epic, or are they considered separately?

Curmudgeon
2014-02-10, 11:03 PM
A 639 Combined.
In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item.

Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.
Has a special ability with a market price modifier greater than +5.
Grants an armor bonus of greater than +10 (not including magic armor’s enhancement bonus).
Grants a natural armor, deflection, or resistance bonus greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than +6.
Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30.
Mimics a spell of an effective level higher than 9th.
Has a caster level above 20th.
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.
The cost limit is per item, not per individual item property.

Metahuman1
2014-02-10, 11:31 PM
Q 640 Armor Spikes can't be Sundered because they are part of the armor, right?

The Trickster
2014-02-10, 11:35 PM
Q636 Does the insight bonus on damage rolls from bluesteel bracers apply to the spine rend class feature of the spinemeld warrior, or other similar abilities?

A636

If you are refering to the extra 2d6 +1.5 STR, then no. It would only be added to the normal damage, not the extra rend damage as well.

DarkSonic1337
2014-02-11, 12:06 AM
Q641 Do you need to be epic level to perform epic skill checks?

TuggyNE
2014-02-11, 12:14 AM
A641: No. Unlike epic feats, epic class levels, and so on, there is no text that sets a minimum level to use epic skills, or to possess epic magic items. The presumed difficulty in meeting those DCs or being able to afford the 10x higher cost is the only barrier.

HMS Invincible
2014-02-11, 12:52 AM
Q642. What's the CR/Encounter Rating for more than 12 monsters?
Q643. How does the experience or CR change if you bring reinforcements? eg 2 CR1 monsters is an Encounter level 2 xp, but 4 CR1 monsters is an encounter level 4 xp. However, bringing in 2 monsters is the sorta the same as starting the PCs with favorable conditions. How should I reward xp for it? Just count up the monsters as a single encounter?