PDA

View Full Version : Favored Classes

Gamereaper
2013-12-07, 06:15 PM
Can someone explain how favored classes work?

I understand that there is a cumulative 20% penalty, but I have no clue how the hell the multiclassing system works, other than they can't be more than 1 level apart or something along those lines.

If anyone can explain it very simply for me, that would be awesome, thanks.

Studoku
2013-12-07, 06:26 PM
There are DMs who actually use the multiclassing penalties?

pwykersotz
2013-12-07, 07:00 PM
Basically, if a race has a favored class, you ignore it when you see if there's a penalty. Then you tally up all the remaining classes (not prestige classes) and see how many levels are in each. If any class is more than 1 level higher or lower than any other that is counted, you take the penalty.

Human - Favored Class Any

Fighter 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 4

This character would take no multiclass penalties because his favored class is not counted (Fighter) and he only has one more level of Wizard than of Rogue. Let's say he levels in Wizard again.

Figher 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 5

He now has more than a 1 level difference between his two classes that count, so he takes the penalty.

Now, what if he was an Elf instead of a Human?

Elf - Favored Class Wizard

Fighter 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 5

Well, Wizard isn't counted since it's his favored class, so we're now comparing Fighter and Rogue. There is more than 1 level of difference between them, so he takes the penalty.

I hope this helps. :smallsmile:

Gamereaper
2013-12-07, 07:22 PM
Basically, if a race has a favored class, you ignore it when you see if there's a penalty. Then you tally up all the remaining classes (not prestige classes) and see how many levels are in each. If any class is more than 1 level higher or lower than any other that is counted, you take the penalty.

Fighter 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 4

This character would take no multiclass penalties because his favored class is not counted (Fighter) and he only has one more level of Wizard than of Rogue. Let's say he levels in Wizard again.

Figher 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 5

He now has more than a 1 level difference between his two classes that count, so he takes the penalty.

Now, what if he was an Elf instead of a Human?

Elf - Favored Class Wizard

Fighter 10
Rogue 3
Wizard 5

Well, Wizard isn't counted since it's his favored class, so we're now comparing Fighter and Rogue. There is more than 1 level of difference between them, so he takes the penalty.

I hope this helps. :smallsmile:

Yes, very much so, thank you.

eggynack
2013-12-07, 07:35 PM
There are DMs who actually use the multiclassing penalties?
Yeah, basically this. They're intrinsically conducive to a game of poorer balance, as low powered options are made worse while high power options stay the same, and they're utterly pointless to boot.

georgie_leech
2013-12-07, 07:54 PM
Yeah, basically this. They're intrinsically conducive to a game of poorer balance, as low powered options are made worse while high power options stay the same, and they're utterly pointless to boot.

Indeed. It's supposed to discourage excessive multi-classing, but it lets a Build with 1 level in 20 different base classes through, while a Fighter 4/Wizard1 gets dinged if neither are favoured classes.

eggynack
2013-12-07, 08:17 PM
Indeed. It's supposed to discourage excessive multi-classing, but it lets a Build with 1 level in 20 different base classes through, while a Fighter 4/Wizard1 gets dinged if neither are favoured classes.
It does encourage that, and it also separately encourages wizard 20's over a multiclass wizard, and over a dip heavy fighter build.

Kaje
2013-12-07, 08:58 PM
Why anyone would even want to discourage tons of multiclassing in the first place is beyond me.