PDA

View Full Version : Monsters of level vs PCS

Flik9999
2013-12-07, 07:52 PM
Hey my PCS are not very optimised and the last combat of monsters +2 levels. They also rarely use thier encounter powers or dailys. The last fight was really brutal. Should I go down to monsters of level to compensate for their low skill level and bad optimisation.

My game is heavily based on story and I cant afford for a TPK should I do level +0 and play the monsters as hard as I can instead of having to make monsters fight really dumb when it looks like the players are in danger?

For example the warlock just spams eldritch blast all day long. And the barbarian has really awful ac (I can hit him on a 5 sometimes.)

Mando Knight
2013-12-07, 08:13 PM
First, use at-level monsters for non-optimized parties.

Second, nudge them to use their powers. If they don't ever use their Encounters and they aren't optimized Twin Strike Rangers, even at-level monsters will be difficult.

Third, figure out a way to allow them to die as part of the story. Sometimes, a wake-up call fight is what players need to start using their resources instead of just using their basic attacks to barely squeeze out a win.

Tegu8788
2013-12-07, 08:23 PM
I would give them a one-off fight. New, but similar, characters. Point out, because they are new, when they have the chance to use certain powers to greater effect. Basically, put them through a training mission. I did this with my group as the very first encounter, because when I saw what they were building online, no one had a modifier great than +3, and in the first fight the caster bard's first instinct was to MBA with a Str 8 and a club. I understand story focused game and not wanting to kill them, so consider this. If they are enjoying the story more than the fights, then the fights don't need to be the focus. Give them something easier to beat up on, perhaps even give small bonuses for RPing in battle.

And as long as one person survives, a quick detour where that guy happens to run into a small group of adventures that are looking for a resurrection device could be fun.

Mando Knight
2013-12-07, 09:11 PM
Third, figure out a way to allow them to die as part of the story. Sometimes, a wake-up call fight is what players need to start using their resources instead of just using their basic attacks to barely squeeze out a win.

To clarify further, I don't mean you need or should have to kill a party member. Rather, figure out ahead of time how to handle things should a party member die. One dead member doesn't mean a TPK.

Flik9999
2013-12-07, 09:59 PM
My players are optimised to the point of I pointed out that having an 18 in thier attack stat was kinda needed (they picked good race/class combos.) Its more that they have picked powers that they like the sound of (which is good for this type of game.)

And they love to spam at wills. that might unbalance stuff and they have no clue what feats to get tbh.

Tegu8788
2013-12-07, 10:27 PM
If at all possible, switch them to Essentials classes. Those classes focus on at-wills.

If you tell us what the race/class/build is, we can give some better generalized things you can "suggest."

Mando Knight
2013-12-07, 11:10 PM
Divine characters can get bonuses to their at-wills depending on their deity's domain (and not all deities support all at-wills, nor are all at-wills supported, unfortunately). Martial characters can do the same with fighting style feats, which aren't restricted in the manner divine domains are. White Lotus feats for Arcane characters are even less restricted.

Avengers, Paladins, and Swordmages can also make use of the Rose King feats, though they're even more situational than the domain feats.