PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Turning CR to LA

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 08:54 PM
Hello, I am currently in a campaign as a level 4 Aasimar cleric who is trying to ascend to a higher existence and make myself feel less connected to humans and my DM said I could gain the half-celestial (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-celestial) template. But, since PF doesn't have a LA adjustment, we are using the CR + as the level adjustment. We also excluded the Special Abilities of the celestial to reduce the LA(CR) by 1 so that the HD 6–10 would be + 1 instead of +2, and HD 11 or more, would be +2 instead of +3. I can keep the defenses, speed, NA, ability modifier bonuses and skills. Also, I should mention that our characters in the campaign have max hd and my stats, at level 4 are currently: STR 15, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 16, WIS 20, CHA 19.

Is this a good offer to take? Any opinions/suggestions would help, thank you!

OldTrees1
2013-12-07, 09:13 PM
So you are getting:
+4 to 3 stats, +2 to the other 3 stats, Flight, SR, Immunity to Disease and some minor bonuses?

Nothing here gets amazingly better at higher levels (The DR is a joke). A flat LA would be more appropriate. +2LA for all levels seems reasonable (Stats, Flight & SR)

Keneth
2013-12-07, 09:21 PM
Nothing that slows down your casting progression is a good deal, unless you plan on ascending at level 17 or above.

The stat bonuses are cool, but you can get pretty much everything else by just being a cleric (DR, SR, flight, etc.).

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 09:36 PM
Nothing that slows down your casting progression is a good deal, unless you plan on ascending at level 17 or above.

The stat bonuses are cool, but you can get pretty much everything else by just being a cleric (DR, SR, flight, etc.).

I was going to be given it at the next game time, while I am still level 4 or at level 5, and we are currently playing at a slow pace so I do not know how long it will take for us to get to the 17th level

Keneth
2013-12-07, 09:47 PM
Getting slapped with +2 LA is gonna reduce your progress to a crawl then.

There's a reason why there's no LA in PF—It's a bad mechanic.

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 10:01 PM
Getting slapped with +2 LA is gonna reduce your progress to a crawl then.

There's a reason why there's no LA in PF—It's a bad mechanic.

If instead of the LA it was just the CR so my character would be treated as a two levels higher would that overall affect the groups ecl? Currently we have three level 4s(including myself), we are about 1000 exp from level 5, one level 5, and three level 6s

Spore
2013-12-07, 10:04 PM
If instead of the LA it was just the CR so my character would be treated as a two levels higher would that overall affect the groups ecl? Currently we have three level 4s(including myself), we are about 1000 exp from level 5, one level 5, and three level 6s

The main problem is not balancing encounters to your group but to maintain an even power level in your group. So if you'd to be playing a Paladin, I could perfectly accept it. But you're playing a T1 class as is...

Kamaei
2013-12-07, 10:18 PM
The main problem is not balancing encounters to your group but to maintain an even power level in your group. So if you'd to be playing a Paladin, I could perfectly accept it. But you're playing a T1 class as is...

I am actually not playing my cleric with its maximized potential but as the bandaid/support cleric just because I want to, for RP purposes, and most of the other members of my group are relatively new to this game so I don't want them to think I am here to carry them, I want them to utilize their classes and think of creative ways around scenarios

OldTrees1
2013-12-07, 11:26 PM
I am actually not playing my cleric with its maximized potential but as the bandaid/support cleric just because I want to, for RP purposes, and most of the other members of my group are relatively new to this game so I don't want them to think I am here to carry them, I want them to utilize their classes and think of creative ways around scenarios

While LA will slow down your casting, it will not hurt a bandaid/support cleric that much unless you need a specific spell. (Like Death Ward vs Vampires) If you do not NEED to be at maximum casting level, then have fun with it.