PDA

View Full Version : Bull Rush Questions

GutterFace
2013-12-07, 09:59 PM
a level 3 session...

Our Wizard was standing on a small platform, a mook fighter moved in to threaten him and missed the hit.

my caster was behind the enemy and cast Battering Ram, it hits and Bull Rush was resolved. i beat him.

now here is the situation. he takes the 1d6 damage. and was moved 5 feet, into the square of the wiazrd on a low (2ft) platform. since he was bull rushed and entered an occupied space does the fighter fall prone?

the dm ruled that yes he falls prone but takes the wizard out as well, hence they both fall prone. since the wizard was allowed an AoO (clearly he failed a melee attack), the mook was also allowed an AoO and crit and knocked the wiazrd to -1.

now did this play out correctly?

TuggyNE
2013-12-07, 10:09 PM
now here is the situation. he takes the 1d6 damage. and was moved 5 feet, into the square of the wiazrd on a low (2ft) platform. since he was bull rushed and entered an occupied space does the fighter fall prone?

No. That's only if someone attempts an offensive bull rush and fails. It's not entirely unreasonable to extend that to other outcomes, but neither is it RAW.

the dm ruled that yes he falls prone but takes the wizard out as well, hence they both fall prone. since the wizard was allowed an AoO (clearly he failed a melee attack), the mook was also allowed an AoO and crit and knocked the wiazrd to -1.

What? That makes no sense, and was badly wrong. The Fighter was being bull rushed, and was the only one provoking any AoOs. AoOs are not symmetric, and someone who is being bull-rushed, or is bull-rushing, does not have some inalienable right to take AoOs on those who are standing still and concentrating on combat. (In fact, they probably cannot, or should not, take AoOs at all, even on those who are provoking near them. When you're getting shoved around in that kind of way, you don't have time or focus to exploit transient positioning errors like that.)

GutterFace
2013-12-07, 10:16 PM
this makes more sense. the whole situation sounded wrong to me. ill make sure i have all the actions/reactions next time to object.