PDA

View Full Version : Alter self restrictions

sjeshin
2013-12-07, 10:06 PM
Reading alter self, it says that I can change into any creature of the same type. In this case I'm a (medium humanoid). It seems general consensus that Troglodyte falls into this. It is a (medium humanoid)(reptile). I haven't seen any mention of it, but is there anything i'm missing in the spell that stops me from changing into a wearboar, hybrid form? It's still a (medium humanoid) with the subtype (human,shapechanger). I just doubt I'm the first one to see this so I'm wondering if it can be done.

Harbinger
2013-12-07, 10:20 PM
Reading alter self, it says that I can change into any creature of the same type. In this case I'm a (medium humanoid). It seems general consensus that Troglodyte falls into this. It is a (medium humanoid)(reptile). I haven't seen any mention of it, but is there anything i'm missing in the spell that stops me from changing into a wearboar, hybrid form? It's still a (medium humanoid) with the subtype (human,shapechanger). I just doubt I'm the first one to see this so I'm wondering if it can be done.

Nothing stops you from changing into those things. It's a really, really broken spell. Especially if you're an unusual type such as aberration or outsider.

Vaz
2013-12-07, 10:33 PM
You cannot take the form of a Templated Crrature with Alter Self.

Urpriest
2013-12-07, 10:37 PM

There is no reason to be citing the subtypes, since they have nothing to do with your question. As the spell says, you can't become a creature with a template.