PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Interaction

Macelock
2013-12-07, 10:22 PM
I am a dragon born of Bahamut, and I want to know how a having a cha of 2, means interaction with people who insult my god or don't believe in my god.

EDIT: This isnt a thread asking how I need to change my cha, can i just get told how I would react if I was going to.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-12-07, 10:28 PM
Charisma is a measure of your personality. With a score of 2, they are hardly able to tell the difference between themselves and the world around them. They are severely mentally handicapped. They are barely capable of forming an opinion on something, much less expressing what that opinion is and telling someone else their opinion is incorrect.

How did you get a 2 Charisma? :smallconfused:

Macelock
2013-12-07, 10:33 PM
How did you get a 2 Charisma? :smallconfused:

a combination of racial reductions from templates, and rolling really badly and pathetic flaw

AuraTwilight
2013-12-07, 10:46 PM
With a CHA of 2, it's kind of amazing you're sentient enough to actually form the spiritual commitment necessary to be a Dragonborn in the first place. Your character literally has less self-awareness than most animals.

Kazy
2013-12-07, 10:51 PM
You need a new PC. Touch of idiocy and you're a goner.

Chronos
2013-12-07, 10:51 PM
With a Charisma that low, basically everyone is going to react to you exactly the opposite way you want them to. For instance, if you show up to rescue someone from a monster, they'll probably assume that you're there to reinforce the monster. When you try to explain that you're one of the good guys, nobody will believe you.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-12-07, 11:06 PM
There's no reason why you can't play that concept, but you should probably ask the DM for a re-roll. Anything under a 6 in any ability score is probably stretching your ability to role play that character accurately.

OldTrees1
2013-12-07, 11:17 PM
Charisma of 2:

1) You have trouble understanding where John ends and where Jacob begins. You might not even recognize that people are individuals.

2) You have no social force. People either do not like you or at best they ignore your requests/advise.

3) You are very receptive to social force. It takes almost no effort to convince you to do something. In battle if an enemy taunts you with "Go die!" you are likely to start to go seek death. (Until your allyMaster reminds you of your purpose)

In summary:
The people around you passively and actively mold your personality and you have no influence on them.
You need to follow a holy servant of Bahamut around or you will risk betraying Bahamut. (They might even be why you became Dragonborn)
You will easily adopt personality traits of the group you are with.
You might remember 2-3 identities that you stereotype everyone with. Any contradictions to the stereotype merely alter the stereotype.

While this might sound interesting to play, it is quite severe at Cha 2. I would suggest only trying a less severe version. Say Cha 4-6. You would still have the symptoms but they would be less severe. You would still be easily manipulated, you would still confuse one person for another but people would at least hear your words (even if they don't listen to you).

(I actually have a Dragonborn Warhulk[Think scaly ogre] that I want to play that intentionally has a Cha of 6 for this very reason)

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-08, 12:13 AM
Cha is representative of the character's force of personality and ability to assert himself and persuade others.

Cha 2 would be a total wall flower. An octopus can better assert itself conversationally.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-08, 12:43 AM
No I believe you would not react, with that low I honestly don't see you being forceful enough to desire to speak up.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-08, 02:07 AM
No I believe you would not react, with that low I honestly don't see you being forceful enough to desire to speak up.

Hence Kelb's comment on how an octopus could assert itself better conversationally.... when it cannot speak.

[/killing the joke]

CyberThread
2013-12-08, 02:11 AM
Charisma of 2:

3) You are very receptive to social force. It takes almost no effort to convince you to do something. In battle if an enemy taunts you with "Go die!" you are likely to start to go seek death. (Until your allyMaster reminds you of your purpose)

Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition.

coughs...coughs...coughs

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 02:15 AM
So what, Cyberdrag? The two don't contradict. Especially since a D&D creature cannot lack a WIS or CHA score without losing both. Wisdom represents willpower and perception, and Charisma dictates self-expression and self-definition. With a sufficiently low Charisma, your will-power means nothing because someone can effectively socially train you into anything they want.

georgie_leech
2013-12-08, 02:23 AM
So what, Cyberdrag? The two don't contradict. Especially since a D&D creature cannot lack a WIS or CHA score without losing both. Wisdom represents willpower and perception, and Charisma dictates self-expression and self-definition. With a sufficiently low Charisma, your will-power means nothing because someone can effectively socially train you into anything they want.

To elaborate, Charisma it what defines a creature's sense of self. While Willpower is all well and good for resisting external forces, it's not as effective if you don't recognise the force as not being a part of yourself. After all, you clearly just had an amazing idea, why shouldn't you act on it?

Hm, now I kind of want to make a character with obscene Wisdom and low Charisma, either as a wandering guru on the cusp of achieving "One With All" or something, or as an extremely disciplined person who, understanding his lack of distinction between self and others, has trained rigorously to deny any ideas or commands not prefaced or ended with a recognition code of some sort.

OldTrees1
2013-12-08, 02:31 AM
coughs...coughs...coughs

Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.

Charisma:
Any creature capable of telling the difference between itself and things that are not itself has at least 1 point of Charisma. Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Charisma score also has no Wisdom score.

cough...cough...cough...

While High Cha and High Wis are markedly different, Low Cha and Low Wis have similar consequences.

I would like to highlight that there are 2 defenses against social force:
1) Will Power to ignore domination
2) Strong personal position

@georgie_leech
Ooh that is tempting.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 03:27 AM

Or ego whip, or feeblemind, or Maiming Strike, or ungol dust, or Corrupting Gaze, or psychic vampire, or Knife to the Soul, or ….

An ability score of 2 is highly vulnerable.

killem2
2013-12-08, 09:30 AM
I try to stay out of my fellow players threads, mostly because I give as much advice as I can in person.

I'll try and explain exactly what Macelock needs.

1. His CHA is fine. I played for 5 sessiosn strait with a Charisma of 3. Our dm isn't a chump and isn't going to exploit that. Even if he did, it would be one encounter at best and very unlikely. So drop the BS about his cha being low.

2. This is the same character who I was asking about in another thread about the thread about dragonborn devotion and the flaw of inconvenient oath.and what the DM should consider if he doesn't do it.

3. He needs help on how one should role play a character with a charisma of 2, who also has been given (either by his own choice or the will of Bahamut) the need to convert people to dragon born. of bahamut.

I directed him to get help because 9/10 you can get it here, not be told to change is ****ing character.

Sith_Happens
2013-12-08, 09:38 AM
I directed him to get help because 9/10 you can get it here, not be told to change is ****ing character.

I count 12 out of 15 replies before yours that are completely on-topic. I dare you to try and replicate that result anywhere else on the Internet.

Spuddles
2013-12-08, 09:43 AM

If touch of idiocy could drop you below 1 cha, I guess.

Ego Whip is what you have to watch out for.

Spuddles
2013-12-08, 10:33 AM
With a Charisma that low, basically everyone is going to react to you exactly the opposite way you want them to. For instance, if you show up to rescue someone from a monster, they'll probably assume that you're there to reinforce the monster. When you try to explain that you're one of the good guys, nobody will believe you.

So then just do the exact opposite of how you want the NPCs to act.

CyberThread
2013-12-08, 11:42 AM
I count 12 out of 15 replies before yours that are completely on-topic. I dare you to try and replicate that result anywhere else on the Internet.

How many more threads until godwins law?

OldTrees1
2013-12-08, 02:01 PM
3. He needs help on how one should role play a character with a charisma of 2, who also has been given (either by his own choice or the will of Bahamut) the need to convert people to dragon born. of bahamut.

While a several of the posts were about Cha damage (Which as you say is not happening since the DM is cooperative. Go good DMs!), several of the posts (including mine) were about the RP aspects of a low Cha. Some of us even considered the idea of low Cha as fun and interesting. However we are worried that the severity of roleplaying that low of a Cha (Cha 2 instead of Cha 4 or 6) might interfer with the player's desire to convert people to be Dragonborn.

Someone with a Cha of 2 would be wise to seek the aid of a Paladin of Bahamut. Both to help them ignore the lies of Tiamat and to lend a more persuasive voice to the cause of converting people to Bahamut.

Red Fel
2013-12-08, 03:34 PM
I am a dragon born of Bahamut, and I want to know how a having a cha of 2, means interaction with people who insult my god or don't believe in my god.

EDIT: This isnt a thread asking how I need to change my cha, can i just get told how I would react if I was going to.

Okay. With a Cha of 2, you have no force of personality. There are plants with more personality than you. You are, emotionally speaking, a wimp. So let's review.

1: You are never, ever going to convert anything to believe in Bahamut. You can't persuade a cat to eat tuna. You are a horrible missionary, so don't even try that.

2: Most of the time, Good NPCs probably won't have reason to insult Bahamut. An Evil one might. If they do, depending on your willpower (how high is your Wis?), you might just flip out and kill them. That's a problem. Even LG can't simply kill someone who insults their deity, even if that person is Evil. You are likely to lose your Dragonborn template if that happens.

3: How can people not believe in a deity in D&D? Their existence is literally quantifiable. Reach out, right now, and feel your keyboard. Your senses tell you that's real. D&D deities are like that - tangibly, provably real. They send spells, they communicate with people, periodically they will conjure an avatar into the Prime. So the idea that someone doesn't believe in a deity whose existence is proven is just absurd. Assuming you encounter one of these lunatics, you will probably either presume them insane or see #2, above.

Honestly, as a rule, PCs really shouldn't keep scores under 3. It hurts, a lot. If at all possible, see if that can be fixed.

Apart from that, the bottom line is this: Unless you are specifically a missionary (which, with your Cha, you aren't) it shouldn't generally matter what other people think of your deity, unless you explicitly catch them desecrating a Bahamut holy site or something.