PDA

View Full Version : Character Help Needed [3.P]

LordAshenshield
2013-12-07, 10:30 PM
Alright so I am in need of my own character.
This is a different DM and a different session, for our off weeks.

We have ruled that Drow Nobles are not a big deal for us in our games we have had them before and they have never gotten close to disruptive.

So I need help with a Drow Noble Half Celestial character.
This is gonna be a 1 level build and go up from there so I need help with a build likely up to level 10.

I want to be a spellcaster but be able to do some martial abilities when not slinging spells and have some good utility spells.
I know I get quite a few spell like abilities from both DN and HC so which class compliments it well? Sorcerer? Warlock? Wizard? Witch?

But what class should go with it as a compliment? Factotum seems to be the universal favorite.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-07, 10:57 PM
Why Half-Celestial? In almost any case, starting at 5th level would be preferable to starting at 1st with an extra +4 LA. If you want flight and spell-like abilities, Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) from Fiend Folio can give you all of that for only a +2 LA. Even better, it can be gradually gained and bought off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) by 6th level, whereas Half-Celestial can't be reduced until your 12th, 21st, 27th, and 30th character levels. As for what classes may compliment what Half-Celestial gives you, there really aren't any, it's going to be more of a hindrance than anything regardless of what class you choose because it puts you four levels behind.

What do you want this character to be able to do? What do you want his shtick or gimmick or just general capabilities to be?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-07, 11:04 PM
Probably should have mentioned this is PF and Half Celestial in PF is a +1 CR at 5 HD or less +2 Cr at 6=10 HD.
And because the CR is kinda different then LA as PF has no LA its more useful. I also believe in Gestalt this would work as the character maybe only having 1 class level as opposed to two classes, with the other being the CR.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-07, 11:32 PM
Probably should have mentioned this is PF and Half Celestial in PF is a +1 CR at 5 HD or less +2 Cr at 6=10 HD.
And because the CR is kinda different then LA as PF has no LA its more useful. I also believe in Gestalt this would work as the character maybe only having 1 class level as opposed to two classes, with the other being the CR.

That is definitely relevant, as PF eliminated level adjustment and instead uses CR = LA. Regardless, you still haven't made any mention of what you want the character to do.

Is this a gestalt character? Because you didn't make any mention of that in your original post. Also, are you only using PF material, or PF + 3.5?

You mentioned Warlock. If this is going to be a gestalt character, something like Warlock 20// [class] + CR 5/ Enlightened Spirit 10/ [class] + CR 5 would be pretty good, assuming you can spend that second point of your added CR one level early. Everything Enlightened Spirit gives you stacks with what you would get from Warlock, and you get tons of extra invocations and even early access to greater invocations. Plus it gives you the same Aura of Menace that Archons have, which can be explained as an extension of your heritage along with the other abilities it grants.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-07, 11:41 PM
Very interesting.
sorry I had it added before but somehow it must have gotten erased.

Anyway I am thankful for the information.

I will look into this, the Cr for Half Celestial is added as HD are collected.
+1 for anything under 6 and anything under 11 is a +2 total, +3 at 12 and after so it adds slowly.