PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Barbarian/Ranger PRC

JohnStone
2013-12-07, 11:12 PM
I am building a character that uses a ranger variant that trades spellcasting for improved HD and Full Animal Companion progression. I plan to take 2 levels of barbarian, for fluff reasons (I want him to have a wild beast like rage).

After level 10-12 there is little use to continue taking Ranger levels (i dont get spells) other than advancing my Animal Companion. So...

Are there any PRCs that advance animal companion Full BAB preffered

AND...

I have room for 1 level of a class/PRC that does not advance Animal Companion (thanks to Natural Bond) originally i was thinking Bear Warrior but i don't actually want to morph into an animal although some animal like abilities especially tied to rage would be nice.

The concept is that when he takes his companion (Wolf/Dire-Wolf) the two begin a shared fate where he begins to take on the aspects of the animal, like rage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-07, 11:43 PM
Beastmaster in Complete Adventurer.

Take Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which advances with character level rather than being tied to a specific class. The bonus stats are only slightly lower than what an animal companion would get. It says you gain an animal cohort in addition to whatever animal companion you may have, but it doesn't say you can't dismiss both and recruit a new animal that benefits from being both your wild cohort and your animal companion. Keep in mind the new animal must be a valid choice for both, so you need to be at least 7th level to get a 'level -3' choice as a wild cohort.

Diovid
2013-12-08, 07:20 AM
Animal Lord and Beastmaster are the usual candidates.

Greenish
2013-12-08, 08:53 AM
Vadalis Beastkeeper (Dragonmarked) is full BAB and advances animal companion, even adding a template on it. Aside from RP requirements, it merely requires some skills and Mounted Combat to enter (well, and an animal companion). It has its own casting, though, which you might not want.

Wild Plains Outrider (C.Adv.) is solid if you plan riding your AC. Otherwise, not so much.

On "not advancing companion, boosting rage" side, Black Blood Cultist 1 (C.Champ.) gives you two claw attacks when you rage (3 levels would also get bite). Requires you to be within a step of CE, though.