PDA

View Full Version : {Scrubbed}

Elriconan
2013-12-07, 11:55 PM
{Scrubbed}

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 12:41 AM
Why would you do that? That's just rules lawyering to make someone else not profit. Pretty uncool. :smallfrown:

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 12:51 AM
{Scrubbed}

Chaltab
2013-12-08, 01:04 AM
1{Scrubbed}.
No it's not.

2{Scrubbed}
For what!?

3.{Scrubbed}
What the hell is your deal?

SowZ
2013-12-08, 01:06 AM
{Scrubbed}.

You may as well say all artists should just get real jobs, because this attitude is what forces many artists to do just that. It's pretty ungrateful to use a product then refuse to support it. WOTC doesn't owe you anything. If you think WOTC is unethical, don't support them. Boycott them. Don't sabatoge them. You hurt writers and illustrators as much as corporate big wigs. And D&D isn't some multi billion dollar industry.

It's like people who pretend pirating music only hurts the producers since singers make their money from concerts. By downloading the songs, you discourage producers from signing new artist and thus hurt the little guy.

You seem pretty self contradicting, too. You are against IP laws, apparently, yet blame WOTC for volunteering a contract that enabled a more free exchange of information? You want to punish them for that blunder, and thus encourage MORE strict IP laws? Even if there is a problem, you are part of it if you do this thing.

kieza
2013-12-08, 01:21 AM
The only reason the RPG industry exists is because copyright lets designers actually profit off of their work, instead of having the first spiteful idiot to come along steal their work and distribute it to the masses. The people working on D&D at WotC do it to make a living, and if they can't make money off of it, they will STOP, and the same goes for every publisher out there. Copyright is a good thing for us gamers, because it gives us quality, professionally made games.

Am I looking forward to 5th edition? No. But I do like some other games out there, and the attitude you espouse would put them all out of business.

Chaltab
2013-12-08, 01:28 AM
Is this really all about not liking the direction of D&D Next? How childish can you be. If you don't like what they're doing, don't buy it. Support the edition(s) you prefer or an alternate game like 13th Age. Throwing a temper tantrum because they made a game you don't like is just pathetic.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 01:32 AM
The only reason the RPG industry exists is because copyright lets designers actually profit off of their work, instead of having the first spiteful idiot to come along steal their work and distribute it to the masses. The people working on D&D at WotC do it to make a living, and if they can't make money off of it, they will STOP, and the same goes for every publisher out there. Copyright is a good thing for us gamers, because it gives us quality, professionally made games.

That is the theory, and the reason copyright laws were developed some centuries ago. There are some practical flaws in it, of course, and some societal glitches it causes, but "hack the system with clean-room reverse engineering and sabotage production by releasing a free nearly-identical competitor" does not seem like a good solution, since all it really does is give people free stuff in the short term at the cost of disincentivizing producers in the medium and long term. It doesn't even have PF's advantage of being commercially sustainable in its own right: it's parasitical and short-sightedly self-destructive.

In the immortal words of Darth Vader, "Do not want!"

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 01:35 AM
This is nothing short of childish. What the OP is proposing is completely unethical and forfeiting of any sort of moral highground one might believe they have.

Also, seriously, what the hell? WOTC didn't do anything wrong to you. You realize that the people writing Next are little guys with families to feed with no control over their company's business practices, right?

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 01:38 AM
{Scrubbed}

SowZ
2013-12-08, 01:42 AM
@Chaltab: It is, but I have no desire to get into a stupid ay-saying argument with a peasant defensing his lord and master. Look up "Against intellectual property" by Stephan Kinsella, if you care, but I'm not into political arguments with lumpenintellectuals, who are usually stare-worshippers ho believe society owes them something.

As regards the rest of you, see above, and:
1 Shakespeare didn't have IP. Art is a hobby and a calling. If you can't do it without the government as your thug enforcer, screw you, get cancer.
2. The arguments in favor of IP are stupid, long refuted and irrelevant, though your aocial engineering approach to pretending your subjective feelings about fairness are somehow a valid basis for law is notably common. I'd as soon use tarts and swords as such demagogue-baiting stupidity.
3. The RPG industry, like most media, is largely crap made by hacks and sold to morons. I give two ****s if it collapses like a house of cards overnight.

Now if anyone has any real suggestions on the topic, rather thst stato********, feel free to reply. But as for the wankers who just like the get self righteous about some stupid 17th century anti-capitlist bull****, you will be ignored.

Look, sorry for getting political, I know I'm not supposed to. I'm not trying to convince anyone of my beliefs though, this isn't the place for it, so maybe I'm fine. Sorry if it's not.

But I'm an anarcho capitalist myself. And you're still being a condescending D-bag. We don't live in a stateless society, even if you and I wish you did, and you don't get a license to be a jerk because you don't have your way. Your attitude is what makes anti-statists look like seventeen year olds trying to piss off their parents who would rather insult people and try and 'tear down the man!' no matter what their collateral damage then engage in an actual discussion that respects other people.

Everyone who supports the government isn't the bad guy. They aren't just mindless sheep because they don't see things the way you and I do. And it's screwed up to try and take away someone's living just because they don't share our political views. I could be wrong, and so could you, and even though I think I'm right, everyone else thinks their right. So you should treat them with respect and try and get your point across reasonably, not act like your opponents aren't even human and not even worth your oh so enlightened time.

Society is organized in a way that enables artists to make money. If you want that way to change, support artists that work on donations and pay-what-you-want to prove to everyone else that it can work. If you instead go on the offensive and assault artists who don't use your preferred method, you just prove that people aren't responsible enough to allow IP to go away because they aren't willing to volunteer money.

It's a jerk move.

SowZ
2013-12-08, 01:54 AM
And telling people to get cancer because they are statists? Cancer affects a lot of people, would you say that to someone's face? Jeez, you're being a stereotypical example of some Rand worshiping, abrasive, anti-compassion anarchist. Tone it down, people will take you seriously. Maybe you've been really wronged by the government. Maybe this is your primary passion. That's fine, I can respect that. But it doesn't entitle you to be a jerk. Still, if you'd rather be some fringe guy fighting some invented war, that's your call.

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 02:09 AM
{Scrubbed}

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 02:10 AM
Elriconan, even if you're not going to change your mind, can you not insult the people you're arguing with? That's a surefire way to get a permanent vacation ticket off this forum, if you know what I mean.

SowZ
2013-12-08, 02:13 AM
{Scrubbed}

And yet you respond. This isn't petty moralizing, you knew full well this was an inflammatory suggestion and expected to get some goats. And I have a personal stake in this, in that threads like this make people assume that people like me are crazy. Plus, don't say, "You deserve cancer if you use IP," when you have no idea who has just lost family members to cancer and not expect people to get pissed at you. You've been making moralistic statements all thread.

You were intentionally trying to get a rise out of people because it strokes your ego to be the bad guy since it makes you feel like you're part of the rebel alliance or something, I'm guessing. So I really should just leave well enough alone until some mod locks it. And I shouldn't go to your level and insult you, too. Sorry. Really, I'm usually better than that and don't get too emotional. It's not right of me to dismiss you, either. All the more foolish of me, I suppose. Doesn't change that you are still being a total jerk.

Tengu_temp
2013-12-08, 02:17 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/happytreefanon/images/0/0c/MJ_Popcorn.gif

Chaltab
2013-12-08, 02:24 AM
Hah hah, wow. And here I thought this was just going to be butthurt over WOTC making an edition you didn't like, but this is so much more entertaining. Tell me more about how I'm like a Babylonian priest for thinking artists should be able to make a buck off their hard work.

dethkruzer
2013-12-08, 02:37 AM
So you come here, make suggestions that encourages damn-near criminal actions, insult others as your lone counter-argument, and generally act like a a-hole. All because a company made a game you didn't like. And then you further insult and directly attack others because they disagree with your views.

It's like digging into a nest of fire ants with your bare hands and then getting upset because the ants sting and bite in retaliation...

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 02:47 AM
{Scrubbed}

ngilop
2013-12-08, 02:48 AM
SO.. i just had a great laugh

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=36164,filename=Can_t_Tell_if_Troll ing.jpg

my sides hurt and there are tear streaks down my face

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 02:51 AM
{Scrubbed}

Kazyan
2013-12-08, 02:52 AM
So much mad.

SowZ
2013-12-08, 02:52 AM
{Scrubbed}

There's tons of things I think are wrong that I still think shouldn't be illegal. It being legal doesn't make it right. You say, "Let's do this thing." I say, "Let's not." is perfectly valid. How is anyone else being more self righteous than you? As far as I can tell, no one has asked you to die because of your views.

Envyus
2013-12-08, 02:55 AM
{Scrubbed}.

He said near Criminal not that it was Criminal. Also you are being an *******. I highly doubt this had anything to do with you liking the game or anything I think you just wanted to get a rise out of people.

I doubt you're stupid so you knew people would never agree with you here. But you posted this here anyway while insulting people just because you knew you could get a rise out of them. We on the internet have a word for this. It's called being a troll.

You know this and as a result we both know you are not going to last very long on this forum. You will be banned within the day.

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 02:57 AM
{Scrubbed}

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:03 AM
{Scrubbed}

Envyus
2013-12-08, 03:09 AM
I{Scrubbed}

This is not your property however (Kind of ironic for you to be talking about property don't you think.) and I am sure talking like you are will get you tossed out on your ass here.

Added on whats your problem with WotC and IP's?

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:09 AM
I{Scrubbed}

If you think reacted normally to what was said to you, you must be incredibly sensitive or delusional. Most people insulted your views, not you, until you started throwing around insults and trying to start a fight. You have no duty to argue with people who disagree with you, sure, just like those who disagree with you have no obligation to keep their mouths shut.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 03:11 AM
You guise… this discussion is not worth it. Let's just let this quietly rest. No need to stir up further anger or hurt feelings. In the spirit of taking my own advice, I do not plan to post further in this thread.

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:12 AM
{Scrubbed}

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:15 AM
{Scrubbed}.

Acting with a blatant dismissal of everyone around you, refusal to listen to opposing views, getting hyper defensive, and throwing around insults like a child is an act of cowardice and over sensitivity, not a tough guy. A strong sense of self is good. Having views that are important to you is good. Those are good traits. Being as much of a jerk as possible to prove that you don't back down, have your own views, and are an individual is not good.

Perseus
2013-12-08, 03:22 AM
This is why I listen to certain talk shows hosted by political pundants of a political view different than mine.

Crazy makes for goooood entertainment!

Lord Raziere
2013-12-08, 03:22 AM
yea, I can't take anything Elriconan says seriously, its just so ridiculous and absurd. :smallbiggrin:

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:24 AM
{Scrubbed}

Envyus
2013-12-08, 03:26 AM
All that has needed to be said has been said. Your behavior combined with the the overall spitefulness of your idea has ensured that you will get no support. Your behavior has also ensured that you will be banned pretty quickly and that no one will be sad to see you go.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:28 AM
yea, I can't take anything Elriconan says seriously, its just so ridiculous and absurd. :smallbiggrin:

agreed, but the fact is that what was suggested was a string of insults bordering on downright hateful towards a company that owes him nothing... then following it up with insulting and hostile labels towards anyone who disagrees... how is this not reported?

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:28 AM
{Scrubbed}

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:31 AM
...huh...first time I've heard of someone unsubscribing from their own thread... somehow all I can bring myself to do is laugh maniacally at how something started with blind outrage ended with abandoning the platform that it was shouted from for the same reason.

Envyus
2013-12-08, 03:31 AM
agreed, but the fact is that what was suggested was a string of insults bordering on downright hateful towards a company that owes him nothing... then following it up with insulting and hostile labels towards anyone who disagrees... how is this not reported?

Who says it was not reported. I reported it after my first read through of the thread.

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:32 AM
Well, I'm glad that's over. Sorry for playing my part in elongating it.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:32 AM
Who says it was not reported. I reported it after my first read through of the thread.

I guess I just stuck to my rather foolish ideal that it would be down faster, I forgot it takes time to read and respond to reports :P

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 03:36 AM
I'd like to point out it looks like he registered today, or something. I'm invoking Poe's Law.

Perseus
2013-12-08, 03:38 AM

Bunk! Bunk I say! They owe me everything because I'm entitled to be correct about everything. What? No it isn't lonely up here all by myself...

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:38 AM
I'd like to point out it looks like he registered today, or something. I'm invoking Poe's Law.

You're probably right. But there are people who actually act this way, so it is hard to know.

Perseus
2013-12-08, 03:39 AM
You're probably right. But there are people who actually act this way, so it is hard to know.

What's Poe's Law?

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:41 AM
What's Poe's Law?

....you saved me from being the one to ask good sir.

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:43 AM
{Scrubbed}

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-08, 03:43 AM
What's Poe's Law?

Google! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:44 AM
What's Poe's Law?

Basically, that there is no way to make such a clearly exaggerated and transparant parody of a group, (traditionally hyper conservatives,) that people won't take you seriously on the internet.

{Scrubbed}.

I thought you were done with this thread?

mootoall
2013-12-08, 03:45 AM
Does anyone else thing that Elriconan isn't going far enough? I mean, yeah, obviously everyone who wants to own the things they create should get cancer, but shouldn't they also be set on fire and defecated upon?

I'm especially a fan of the fact that he claims that media is largely crap, on a forum dedicated to appreciation of media of all kinds. Really, that kind of brave outspokenness is exactly appropriate for this kind of situation--Rich himself, after all, has expressed his clear disdain for copyright, and his desire to let people steal from artists. I can't find any supporting evidence for that claim, naturally, but the fact that he doesn't market and sell his own independent media product really speaks to the fact.

But really, my question is, is he being insulting and erratic enough? While I completely agree that the RPG industry "is largely crap made by hacks and sold to morons," and I enjoy D&D next just as much as he claims to (really, it's "not bad"), do you think that his agenda for fans of a product sabotaging its development, success and further support is doing enough to make sure we don't get more of what we love?

I say no. We should be burning down not just the Wizards of the Coast, but the entirety of both coasts! Then, we can live in a world where the only thing we trade is corn and soy, and all products will be completely interchangeable, rendering the perceived "need" for copyright completely moot.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-08, 03:47 AM
Does anyone else thing that Elriconan isn't going far enough? I mean, yeah, obviously everyone who wants to own the things they create should get cancer, but shouldn't they also be set on fire and defecated upon?

I'm especially a fan of the fact that he claims that media is largely crap, on a forum dedicated to appreciation of media of all kinds. Really, that kind of brave outspokenness is exactly appropriate for this kind of situation--Rich himself, after all, has expressed his clear disdain for copyright, and his desire to let people steal from artists. I can't find any supporting evidence for that claim, naturally, but the fact that he doesn't market and sell his own independent media product really speaks to the fact.

But really, my question is, is he being insulting and erratic enough? While I completely agree that the RPG industry "is largely crap made by hacks and sold to morons," and I enjoy D&D next just as much as he claims to (really, it's "not bad"), do you think that his agenda for fans of a product sabotaging its development, success and further support is doing enough to make sure we don't get more of what we love?

I say no. We should be burning down not just the Wizards of the Coast, but the entirety of both coasts! Then, we can live in a world where the only thing we trade is corn and soy, and all products will be completely interchangeable, rendering the perceived "need" for copyright completely moot.

+1 Very amusing :smalltongue:

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 03:48 AM
{Scrubbed}

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:49 AM

and all the world's problems will cease because reasons! I think you also missed the bit where instead of merely insulting anyone who has an opinion not completely in agreement they take them out to be physically and emotionally abused in front of their families. or perhaps the bit where instead of simply declaring anyone who disagrees is white knighting and a puppet deciding that any opinion at all (even agreement) is an attempt on their life and launching a preemptive strike to counter it.

also, elriconan, mayhaps your storming out in a rage would be a bit more effective if you didn't storm back to continue name calling.

ngilop
2013-12-08, 03:52 AM
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=36164,filename=Can_t_Tell_if_Troll ing.jpg

SO this is basically Poe's Law?

PS that was teh picutre I linked in my earlier post... but now it no works

Perseus
2013-12-08, 03:53 AM
{Scrubbed}.

See it is times like this that makes it seem like you are screaming at thin air.

Might want to use the quote function less we think you are off your rocker.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-08, 03:54 AM
{Scrubbed}.

See? look, he seriously believes what he is saying. like....how? its just....

what. just what. :smallbiggrin:

its like he is just outright ignoring everything we say, and just keeps talking, thinking that if he shouts loud enough his reality will override everyone elses. its like he is unable to recognize where he exactly he has gone horribly wrong here, or how horribly wrong this going, and just keeps digging the hole he has made for himself even deeper. its just funny that I just can't bring myself to even get mad at it because its so absurd and nonsensical.

SowZ
2013-12-08, 03:57 AM
Alrighty, guys, I'm outty. Not to deny anyone a chance to respond, I just want to get off the dogpile and leave before the thread gets nuked. Plus I meant to write more tonight, haha. I also probably got out of line once or twice so I'll just have to wait for the fall out. Oh, well. Bye.

mootoall
2013-12-08, 03:59 AM
+1 Very amusing :smalltongue:

Thanks! It's good to be back.

Abstract concepts arent property you ****ing retard. Material goods are. Why don't we have Shakespeare's heirs sue you for using all those words he invented? Your unquestioning acceptance of 7th grade civics tropes is par for the course.

But of course! It's impossible for something that's not tangible to have value! I'm agreeing with you 100%! It's the same reason I think, and I'm sure you do to, that wage labor should be abolished. After all, selling your time and skills makes no sense! You can't touch time and skill! They're abstract!

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:59 AM
See? look, he seriously believes what he is saying. like....how? its just....

what. just what. :smallbiggrin:

its like he is just outright ignoring everything we say, and just keeps talking, thinking that if he shouts loud enough his reality will override everyone elses. its like he is unable to recognize where he exactly he has gone horribly wrong here, or how horribly wrong this going, and just keeps digging the hole he has made for himself even deeper. its just funny that I just can't bring myself to even get mad at it because its so absurd and nonsensical.

maybe he just needs a hug. we should all give him a hug and see if that solves it.

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 04:00 AM
A{Scrubbed}

Except abstract concepts are property, like novels and songs and movies.

You could argue they're not, but since the concept of property is defined by society, and society says they are, then they are.

It's subjective, but there's no objective alternative. Things are property by virtue of the fact that they are acknowledged as property by everyone who partakes in the concept of property as a useful means of regulating economic needs.

If you don't like it, you're free to try to change society, or exit it. However, your actions are only conductive to the latter, not the former.

Now, be honest. When's your high school graduation? Are you class of 2014? :)

Elriconan
2013-12-08, 04:13 AM
{Scrubbed}

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 04:17 AM
Are you capable of forming words that aren't insults or slur? You didn't even spell half of them correctly.

By the way, people disagreeing with you isn't the same as being ignorant. I'm familiar with the ideas you're bringing up, I just doubt your sincerity since you're terrible at representing your arguments. I don't believe you're making an honest effort.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 04:22 AM
aura, I think the really scary thing is the possibility that he is trying. it's disturbing that an honest attempt to convey an idea can be so wrought with rage, bleeped out cursing, and pointless political posturing (in a forum that takes issue with discussing politics no less). what could have caused the idea of debate to be so warped as to disallow any differing views and make declarations that others are the scum of the earth for saying anything but "yes sir you're right, I should protest something I don't care about protesting" seem valid?

Perseus
2013-12-08, 04:27 AM
Ok ok so which of you guys made a second account?

Seriously I know its 4 am but come on, the internet must have something else for you to do than this.

I now currently believe that elriconan is a second account t of someone that wanted to stir the pot a bit.

Edit: it is the only thing that makes sense right now haha

mootoall
2013-12-08, 04:34 AM
{Scrubbed}.

You sure showed them, Elcronian! I'm glad that someone is finally making sense around here. The fact that they're acknowledging two sides of an ideological argument is the highest sign of ignorance and cowardice! The only people worth listening to, after all, are Wired type techies. Everyone else, well, they should get cancer, right?

Lord Raziere
2013-12-08, 06:38 AM
{Scrubbed}.

I'm sorry what. what is this I don't even. you seriously mentioned tradition and rebelliousness in the same paragraph, what the hell. :smallbiggrin:

I mean are you even listening to yourself dude? who is going to listen to you if you keep insulting people like this? :smallamused: even I, with all my social graces of a hammer knows not to call people names for no reason, or imply that others are shallow, paper-thin unprincipled wimps and equate them to some protest that I myself wasn't all that sure about, and probably had nothing to do with.

where are you even GETTING all this from? how did you even come to these conclusions about us? you sound like one of those political talk show hosts who string various made up words together that sound vaguely meaningful while mixing in derogatory and insulting language, to the point where the spice of your language out-tastes the actual meal and people when they taste it, taste too much peppers and don't eat anymore because whatever meat of substance hidden beneath all that spiciness can't be stomached.

seriously, your not helping your case here, if your really trying to get your point across, you have pretty much taken every wrong step imaginable in doing it. 1. you posted about in on a forum where political talk isn't welcome 2. you advocate an action we clearly don't want to do 3. you resort to insults and implications that your somehow better than us because we won't do what you say.

I mean by your own logic, to just accept your viewpoint and do what you say just because you say so, would be to become the very sheep you hate, allowing someone else to dictate what we do and such, only it would be you that would be leading the sheep, not whatever enemy your advocating against. :smallbiggrin:
we are thinking for ourselves, you just don't like our thoughts.

really, this is such a ridiculous trainwreck of an attempt on every conceivable level at communicating whatever your trying to communicate, I don't really care at this point, I'm just seeing how far your going to take this and if you will ever realize how horribly wrong you've gone, or if your going to keep making me amused at everything that you type down. :smalltongue:

Grinner
2013-12-08, 07:20 AM
Are you capable of forming words that aren't insults or slur? You didn't even spell half of them correctly.

Standardized spelling is an invention of the NWO intended to keep the true free thinkers down.

Death to the dictionary!

Eldan
2013-12-08, 08:38 AM
You people all have no idea what you are talking about.
Intellectual Property is exactly the way that the UN-sponsored politicians in Washingon, Brussels and Tokyo try to keep you from realizing your true potential that was given to you by nature. Anyone who thinks that we shouldn't go to New York and burn down Wall Street to take back our right to free transfer of ideas could just as well join the papist Church and take their daily dose of sedatives that the Draconians in the White House tell us are our daily shot of iodine autism vaccines in our drinking water. Wake up Sheeple! Once the glorious Marxist-Discordian revolution overthrows the Bilderberg Zionists and pushes us into the Age of Aquarius, all those who have freed their minds with transcendental meditation will be able to write any RPG they want!

Grinner
2013-12-08, 09:33 AM
Intellectual Property is exactly the way that the UN-sponsored politicians in Washingon, Brussels and Tokyo try to keep you from realizing your true potential that was given to you by nature. Anyone who thinks that we shouldn't go to New York and burn down Wall Street to take back our right to free transfer of ideas could just as well join the papist Church and take their daily dose of sedatives that the Draconians in the White House tell us are our daily shot of iodine autism vaccines in our drinking water. Wake up Sheeple! Once the glorious Marxist-Discordian revolution overthrows the Bilderberg Zionists and pushes us into the Age of Aquarius, all those who have freed their minds with transcendental meditation will be able to write any RPG they want!

Aha! That can't be true, because no true Discordian would ever associate with anyone who subscribes to the needless labeling of thought. This is clearly some Atlantean ploy to derail this thread. In fact, I'd go so far as to surmise that Oberon and Titania have agents within Area 51 at this very moment feeding these lies into the Internet nexus housed there. Your treacherous villainy has no place in this land of Sagittarian apotheosis!

Eulalios
2013-12-08, 09:41 AM

Aha! That can't be true, because no true Discordian would ever associate with anyone who subscribes to the needless labeling of thought. This is clearly some Atlantean ploy to derail this thread. In fact, I'd go so far as to surmise that Oberon and Titania have agents within Area 51 at this very moment feeding these lies into the Internet nexus housed there. Your treacherous villainy has no place in this land of Sagittarian apotheosis!

Hail Bob!! Slack to the Righteous!

Oh, back on topic, of course any reasonable person must assent to the OP's utterly non-vindictive and internally consistent idea of subverting D&D Next by investing the time and effort to write a free clone that anyone would be able to download and share, because driving down the price of a product always stifles interest in it and thereby diminishes the original content creator's opportunities to promote the "full feature" version of that product. And it's not like JUST IGNORING and REFUSING TO PURCHASE IT would suffice to express the OP's distaste for D&D Next or other issues.

Brookshw
2013-12-08, 09:58 AM
/pull out stick, apply marshmallow, put the flaming to good use. Don't mind me, this is hilarious and breaks who knows how many forum rules.

Mastikator
2013-12-08, 10:03 AM

Although you are being sarcastic there's a grain if truth in this post. Patent trolls (which are a direct and easily foreseeable consequence of IP laws) are one of the biggest negative factors in the creation of new artistic and technological inventions.

*hides behind flame shield*

Grinner
2013-12-08, 10:22 AM
Although you are being sarcastic there's a grain if truth in this post. Patent trolls (which are a direct and easily foreseeable consequence of IP laws) are one of the biggest negative factors in the creation of new artistic and technological inventions.

*hides behind flame shield*

Damn it, man. Stop making sense. You're ruining the fun.

But...

Speaking from an American perspective, I think the greatest threat is Mickey Mouse. Specifically, laws like the Copyright Term Extension Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act), which seem to come about whenever the Mouse is about to pass into the public domain. Even if patent trolls make a living suing over things like the roundedness of corners (http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ipad-design-patent-2012-11)*, these things must inevitably pass into the public domain. That is, unless they keep getting the copyrights extended. Without respect for one of the most fundamental aspects of copyright, the public domain, the entire concept is pointless.

*Yes, I realize that's about patents. It's still relevant.

The Glyphstone
2013-12-08, 10:26 AM
Great Modthulhu:Aaaaaaand locked for review.