PDA

View Full Version : cleric spell question

geekintheground
2013-12-08, 12:20 AM
when a cleric takes their 1st level, they pick dawn, noon or dusk as a time to pray for new spells. is there a "best" time to prepare spells or are they about the same? assume the adventuring day takes place during the day time.

bekeleven
2013-12-08, 12:26 AM
Best time is dawn. If you prepare spells at night, you can't reuse any spell slot used in the past 8 hours, meaning any spell you cast in a day can't be used in the next day.

Dalebert
2013-12-08, 12:28 AM
I find dusk is nice. That way you're refreshed in case your camp gets raided in the middle of the night and if it doesn't, you still have all your spells for the next day of adventuring. I picked it because my cleric is a drow and I figure that's kind of like morning for him. The sun isn't too bright and distracting and he's going to be up all night keeping watch while others are sleeping.

Best time is dawn. If you prepare spells at night, you can't reuse any spell slot used in the past 8 hours, meaning any spell you cast in a day can't be used in the next day.

I didn't know that rule.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 12:45 AM
when a cleric takes their 1st level, they pick dawn, noon or dusk as a time to pray for new spells. is there a "best" time to prepare spells or are they about the same? assume the adventuring day takes place during the day time.

Dawn, probably. Note that usually, deity choice severely restricts choice of time, and even clerics of a cause might, in some cases, reasonably be restricted as well.

geekintheground
2013-12-08, 12:56 AM
Dawn, probably. Note that usually, deity choice severely restricts choice of time, and even clerics of a cause might, in some cases, reasonably be restricted as well.

i could be wrong, but i dont think this is true. all the text says is "Typically, this hour is at dawn or noon for good clerics and at dusk or midnight for evil ones" (emphasis mine) so it isnt tied to deity or alignment.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 01:34 AM
i could be wrong, but i dont think this is true. all the text says is "Typically, this hour is at dawn or noon for good clerics and at dusk or midnight for evil ones" (emphasis mine) so it isnt tied to deity or alignment.

Check the individual deity entries. IIRC, those specify the details.

bekeleven
2013-12-08, 02:24 AM
I didn't know that rule.
Quoth the SRD:

Recent Casting Limit

As with arcane spells, at the time of preparation any spells cast within the previous 8 hours count against the number of spells that can be prepared.