PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic laws?

Jon_Dahl
2013-12-08, 02:07 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of laws and regulations do chaotic nations have?

In my opinion, they have normal laws like everyone else, but they tend to change a lot, much more than laws of neutral countries, not to mention lawfuls.

People and even those in the position of authority tend to view things on a case-by-case basis and ignore laws. Things are handled on a personal level rather than in a courtroom.

cakellene
2013-12-08, 02:14 AM
I would think a CG nation would be similar to the Wiccan Rede.

Particle_Man
2013-12-08, 02:16 AM
I imagine there would be laws against restricting others' freedoms.

Indeed, instead of laws, they might well phrase it as rights, focusing on what people have the right to do, no matter what a ruler says.

AuraTwilight
2013-12-08, 02:17 AM
Generally, laws which emphasize individual freedoms, such as inalienable rights.

ngilop
2013-12-08, 02:37 AM
Yeah.. thats what i did in my campaign world

Chaotic good aligned nations ( whihc are very veryv ery few and far between) have a Bill of Rights and that is enforced with no need to have another 300+laws to support Right#1 and people don't get all stupid and say Right#1 says sperate this and that. But when youa ctually read said Right it says no such thing.

Basically chaotic good follows the Golden Rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Chaotic Evil would do the silver rule "One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated" but peverted to be able to reat peeps however

and Chaotic neutral well.. im not really sure probably something like "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 03:11 AM
Chaotic Evil would do the silver rule "One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated" but peverted to be able to reat peeps however

a chaotic evil society without laws to prevent murder and theft (outside of those supported by the leadership of course) wouldn't survive more than a year. chaotic evil simply means that they don't like having laws restrict their freedoms not that they aren't willing to restrict the freedoms of others. admittedly it's harder to do in a predominantly chaotic society but alternative is giving absolutely everyone free reign to murder someone for breathing their air and turning the entire society into a free for all battle waiting to happen.

chaotic good: yes a simple framework that only restricts things seen as evil such as violent acts without a valid reason would fit.

chaotic neutral: similar to chaotic good but with a higher degree of self interest.

chaotic evil: still oppressive and cruel as most other evil societies but with absolute freedom for those in charge and an obscenely large criminal element that goes relatively unchecked.

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 03:21 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of laws and regulations do chaotic nations have?

In my opinion, they have normal laws like everyone else, but they tend to change a lot, much more than laws of neutral countries, not to mention lawfuls.

I wouldn't expect them to change much; indeed, I wouldn't expect many laws at all, comparatively. Instead, what laws there are are phrased quite generally and as principles or abstractions. Think more US Constitution (6-7 pages total, updated 27 times total) and less US Code (200,000+ pages, updated dozens or hundreds of times per year).

Which actually makes me realize I'm more chaotic than I'd thought. Hmm. Interesting.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-08, 03:26 AM
Casual Friday

SowZ
2013-12-08, 05:20 AM
Casual Friday

Lawful Good nations tried an equivalent with 'Silly Tie Tuesday.'

Hyena
2013-12-08, 05:35 AM
I think there was a rulebook (maybe it was 2e?) that gave each aligment a political system. LE was a tyrannical monarchy, for example.

Clistenes
2013-12-08, 06:49 AM
I think a Chaotic nation would either lack laws and be ruled by the mighty as they see fit, or rely on traditional orally transmitted laws (and justice would be localy enforced by councils of elders or something like that), or, if somebody gained the power to make and enforce laws, they would be few, not very restrictive and weakly enforced (to not piss the people too much).

I don't think laws that enforce respect to personal freedoms are a Chaotic thing, but a Lawful Good or Neutral Good thing. The mindset of making a law to ensure that people are not subject to oppresive and abusive authority is a very lawful one: Have a problem? Make a new law!.

The Chaotic Good mindset would be "I will do what I think is right regarless of your stupid laws", the Chaotic Neutral mindset would be "I do what I want when I want, I don't care laws" and the the Chaotic Evil would be "I will kill, rape, maim, enslave, torture and enslave whoever I wish when I wish to do it! F*ck your stupid laws!".

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 06:55 AM
I think a Chaotic nation would either lack laws and be ruled by the mighty as they see fit, or rely on traditional orally transmitted laws (and justice would be localy enforced by councils of elders or something like that), or, if somebody gained the power to make and enforce laws, they would be few, not very restrictive and weakly enforced (to not piss the people too much).

A strongly Chaotic people would not form a nation at all. They would instead be in small, relatively free-form groups and settlements, perhaps like kibbutzim, governed by principles with a lot of similarities between groups, but a lot of variations as well, and leadership would probably be selected from those considered wise/smart and good (CG), sensible and flexible (CN), or powerful and competent (CE).

The idea of a nation is a rather Lawful notion, and in the strict sense a rather recent one as well, so I'm assuming only weakly Chaotic/Chaotic-leaning Neutral people make up the inhabitants of this hypothetical place.