PDA

View Full Version : Evil Healer/Inflicter?

Catman
2013-12-08, 02:18 AM
Since the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook is required to be good aligned, and can loss his/her class features by becoming evil or doing evil acts, I'd imagine there should be a Paladin/Blackguard (or Paladin/Paladin of Tyranny, as a base class, not prestige) equivalent, and Inflictor, with all the opposite spells and features. He/she would be [I]inflict[I] focused. Has this been done in any book or notable homebrew, or do I have to do it myself? Any advice on how to go about or if it's plausible? I'd be happy to contribute The Inflictor, will probably start a model right now.

Vortenger
2013-12-08, 11:41 AM
I've seen this idea batted around a few times, and a player has suggested in a game I ran. There is no official reply or even community consensus from what I've seen.

My take: An Inflicter class would be fine to play at most gaming tables if evil is acceptable. Re-doing spells with their more aggressive equivalent is kind of a pain, and will have to be OK'd by a DM. It plays at a different tier level than the healer, being much more akin to a warmage than any other class. I'd peg it as a low tier 4, a little better if allowed to draw from vile spells, as the healer does sanctified. The special mount would need to have evil equivalents found, too.

Major drawbacks? Undead are relatively common enemies, and even then inflict kind of sucks for damage output requiring both a touch attack and a save for relatively minor damage. Also, just making all the equivalencies and getting 'em all the DM okay is a huge amount of paperwork. It does sound like fun in the right campaign though

Catman
2013-12-08, 12:58 PM
Yeah, this morning I'm starting to realize how obnoxious a task this will be. I think it'd be most useful as an NPC enemy class, because like the Healer, it seems to be a relatively focused and simple class. That would avoid issues with undead, like you mentioned, and having narrow (possibly boring) limitations.

Psyren
2013-12-08, 01:22 PM
Dread Necro? They get all the inflict spells and Charnel Touch, so you can definitely make them into an "inflicter." They're not bad in melee range either, and of course they can make a powerful undead minion to benefit from all the inflicting.

Maginomicon
2013-12-08, 01:25 PM
I know you said no prestige class, but the Nosomatic Chirurgeon prestige class (Dragonmarked, p. 114) is what you're looking for. You can probably accomplish some of what you describe with a spontaneous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) Domain Focused cleric (Dragon Magazine #347, page 91) with the Destruction domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#destructionDomain).

That would be pretty boss, actually. A 1/day smite that gives +8 to your attack roll and double your cleric level to damage, and spontaneously casting Inflict Critical Wounds... dunno if the smite would stack with the spell damage...