PDA

View Full Version : Epic-ifying Non-Epic Spells?

alchmst1259
2013-12-08, 02:49 AM
Long story short: I love and use Frostfell like it's my job, but some creatures are stubborn and succeed their fortitude saves. Since I just picked up Epic Spellcasting, I want to do something that I feel should be pretty simple: research a Greater Frostfell that is exactly the same but with an appropriately epic save DC. I'm very busy with this turning people into popsicles business and can't afford to have them making their saves. Unfortunately, I'm kind of struggling on figuring out how to make that actually happen. There's no seed that emulates anything really like the "Flesh to..." spells. Frostfell kind of falls square in no-man's land between Energy, Slay, and Transform. Any suggestions?

Extra credit: My spellcraft will be floating somewhere around +50, though with a little investment I could probably make that around +80-100 reliably enough. (I don't care to start a long discussion on getting my spellcraft up, I've done as much research as I care to.) We're converting XP to GP, though still working out the ratio on that with the GM (any hard evidence you can provide to a specific ratio will be a big help). Accounting for that (and possible investments to get my spellcraft up) I have about 1.5mil to work with. If we can work roughly within those parameters, it would be pretty sweet.

Zanos
2013-12-08, 05:15 AM
5gp per XP of normal cost is the norm, as shown by the cost of scrolls of spells with EXP costs, Vow of Poverty characters casting spells with material components, and several other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Frostfell would be transform seed. It's a fort save or be turned into an ice sculpture, and the transform seed can definitely transform creatures into objects.

I'll try an example.
Transform Seed(DC 21)
Reduce casting time by 9 rounds(+18)(Default is one minute, not usable in combat)
Change Target To Area(+10)
20ft cube/level isn't an available area, but you could go with 20ft radius(+2) and apply bonus area a couple times (+4 each)

This gives a base DC of 41. Add +4 for each time you want to double the area, and +2 for each +1 you want to increase the save DC by. Apply reducers until you reach your desired level of cheese*.

This will get you a spell that will basically polymorph any object or creature in the area. Limiting it to polymorphing things into ice will probably get you an ad-hoc DC reduction, but adding the secondary effects like the 20d6 damage on a failed save will probably get an ad-hoc increase, or your DM will ask you to add the Energy seed to emulate the damage.

Epic Spells are pretty much all custom though, and the creation rules are essentially guidelines. Start with something like what I put above, but talk to your DM about it.

*Reducers can break Epic Spells. Be careful.

Urpriest
2013-12-08, 12:26 PM
Boosting the save DC is really not something that turning the spell into an Epic Spell will help much with. Sure, you can use the +2 spellcraft for +1 DC thing, but you have to have that increased spellcraft DC every time you cast the spell. Instead, I'd create an Epic Spell that boosts your Save DCs, using the Fortify seed to increase your casting stat. It would take a higher spellcraft DC, but you'd only need to do it once if you are good at preventing dispelling, so you can use ritual casting and a long casting time to mitigate a lot.

alchmst1259
2013-12-08, 02:46 PM
Urpriest, I was thinking about that actually, and how it would affect saves on all my spells, so that's probably the way to go. I want to avoid ritual casting since I'm the only party caster and have no followers. But if I can get a hefty Wis buff with a long enough duration that I can just cast it for a half hour every morning... well, I supposed that would do quite nicely. Gonna start looking into the math on that one.