PDA

View Full Version : Spells to base cities around

Kazyan
2013-12-08, 03:39 AM
Consider a magical location in which a city is built, and is affected by a spell characteristic of that location.

1) If the spell has an area and a duration, it's continuously active over the entire area of the city.
2) If the spell is targeted or personal, a person within the city can activate it on their person at any time, if they are a valid target.
3) Other spells are invalid subjects for this effect.

I'm aware that this is like a mythal; I haven't read much into those rules.

My question for the playground: What 3rd level or level spells do you think would have interesting social ramifications for a city to be bathed in them constantly? Current spells I find interesting for this:

Endure Elements
Cure Light Wounds (and similar Cure spells)
Alter Self
Cat's Grace (and the other 5 ability buff spells)
Calm Emotions
Web
Haste
Fly
Permeable Form
Elation
Glibness

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-08, 03:46 AM
How about cure spells? People might start getting pretty reckless if any schmoe could knit you back together by tapping you on the back

EDIT: NM I just saw that was in your list

Kazyan
2013-12-08, 03:55 AM
Definitely Cure spells, but a person could only activate a spell like that on their own person. So, avoid actually going unconscious.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-08, 03:59 AM
Animate Dead would be creepy for one. If anything ever dies it gets reanimated.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-08, 04:20 AM
Amorphous Form could be fun.
So could Blacklight. The whole city is totally black from the outside but everyone inside can see just fine.
Blessing of Bahamut. DR 10/magic for the whole city.
Blessing of the Snake Mother could be worthy of a few laughs.

There are, however, something like 900 spells of third level.

Eurus
2013-12-08, 04:29 AM
The web city amuses me. Perhaps if buildings and road-tunnels were suspended in the webbing, and the webbing doesn't grow back inside them as long as they're properly enclosed. So you'd have a giant block of web stuff in a canyon or something, with houses just sprinkled through it.

The city of Glibness... that's very interesting. A city where everyone believes everything anyone says, but at the same time, they're fully aware of the city's magic. Maybe lying becomes a super-strict taboo, because it's so powerful. Guards always have to wear earplugs.

Silence, that's kind of flavorful. Invisibility would just be annoying. Detect Thoughts! The city of paranoia, heh.

Almost any spell has interesting applications, really. A city where everyone can create elaborate illusions, or throw deadly rays of fire at each other? Or summon celestial monkeys? It'd be a weird city.

(Un)Inspired
2013-12-08, 04:30 AM
Oh yeah! My vote goes to the summon monster spells. Pokemon city FTW

SinsI
2013-12-08, 05:11 AM
Phantom Steed - no need for any stables in the city
Tongues - travelers, welcome to this trading city
Suggestion - New slaves, welcome to this city
Major Image - Fantasy TV
Water Breathing - underwater city
Continual Flame - night illumination
Magic Mouth - music box?
Whispering Wind - mobile phones of middle ages
Spider Climb - vertical cities
Unseen Servant - no need for low-level jobs
Enlarge/Reduce Person - save money on construction costs by making each house that much smaller. Also allows to pack many more buildings into the same space. Also makes delicate work/huge construction work much easier to do.

Ruethgar
2013-12-08, 03:19 PM
I can't help but think that city would die very quickly if you could just metamagic reduce an ocular ray burst creeping cold to hit the entire city.

Edit: Reverse Gender is level 3... lol

Bakeru
2013-12-08, 03:38 PM
Mind Fog: Meet the city of bad decisions.
Stinking Cloud: No one stays there for long.
Black Tentacles: Hentai City.
I was also going to list "Fireball: Fun to watch, but not pretty", but then I realised people would still have to invoke it. Might work with "Incendiary Cloud".
Teleportation Circle: They come, they go.
Scintillating Pattern.

/Edit: I just noticed the "Level 3"-thing. Whoops. Still, Stinking Cloud still works, and would definitely have... "ramifications". Same with "Sleet Storm".