PDA

View Full Version : Hanging onto creatures - how do?

SilverLeaf167
2013-12-08, 03:58 AM
It's both a staple in fantasy and relatively common in real life as well, but seems to lack representation in D&D: how do the rules handle one creature hanging onto another (typically at least one size larger) creature WITHOUT trying to actively wrestle with it? And if they don't (which is probable), how would you handle it?

As I see it, the rules don't allow, for example, an adventurer to climb a colossus, to hang onto a dragon or hitch a ride on a roc's leg. They also don't technically allow smaller animals to hang onto humans, apart from some oddly exclusive cases, like the weasel's attach ability.

Grapple does a good job (okay fine, it's pretty clumsy) of handling two creatures wrestling and trying to subdue one another, but if the grapple rules were to be used for this matter here, it would be quite impossible for smaller creatures to hang on anyway, since the bigger guy has a grapple bonus from size and probably higher strength as well.

Thoughts and input?

Greenish
2013-12-08, 08:22 AM
There are a few feats to that effect. Hammer and Piton (Dungeonscape) lets you hang on to enemies. There was also one where you climbed on them, but I've forgotten the name and source…

heavyfuel
2013-12-08, 08:28 AM
There was also one where you climbed on them, but I've forgotten the name and source…

That is the Giantbane feat from Complete Warrior.

Greenish
2013-12-08, 08:35 AM
That is the Giantbane feat from Complete Warrior.So it is. You could just allow your players do it sans the feat, using the rules from Giantbane's Climb Aboard.