PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage multiclass

Hyena
2013-12-08, 10:40 AM
It has been noted by many, many players that being Whatever 2/Swordsage 4 is better then Swordsage 6 due to fixing the stance progression.
The question is, what should swordsage be multiclassed with? Rogue certainly seems like a good idea - his sneak attack can be improved with the assassin's stance. But is there anything else?

Adverb
2013-12-08, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen that noted by anyone. What exactly are you referring to?

Darrin
2013-12-08, 10:56 AM
It has been noted by many, many players that being Whatever 2/Swordsage 4 is better then Swordsage 6 due to fixing the stance progression.

Huh? Of the three martial adepts the Swordsage stance progression actually works like it's supposed to: 3rd level stances at IL 5, 5th level stances at IL 9. Not much to choose from at IL 14, just Tiger Claw's Prey on the Weak, but some of the 5th level stances are worth picking up more than one.

Crusader and Warblade are the two that need to delay their stance progression. The best dips:

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Wolf Totem Barbarian 2. Whirling Frenzy, Pounce, Improved trip.

Fighter 2. Cuz... bonus!

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Crusader 1 (for Warblade)

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Warblade 1 (for Crusader)

The question is, what should swordsage be multiclassed with? Rogue certainly seems like a good idea - his sneak attack can be improved with the assassin's stance. But is there anything else?

Swordsage needs feat help. Fighter 2 helps pick up some essentials, particularly if you're trying to TWF with Shadow Blade.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-08, 10:58 AM
Swordsage stance progression actually works as intended, it is Warblade & Crusader which need fixing.

But I am partial to ranger multiclass, I like the BAB boost and I really like TWF on swordsage so getting it for free is nice.

Hyena
2013-12-08, 11:00 AM
Oops, you're right. Looked at the wrong table.

Greenish
2013-12-08, 11:02 AM
Fighters also have delightful variants and ACFs, like Hit and Run Tactics (DotU) or Exoticist and Targeteer (Dr. #310).

For warblade, though, I also like dipping feat rogue 2 (two fighter feats, Evasion, loads of skill points) or monk 2 (two feats you don't have to qualify for, IUS, Evasion). Both would also work for swordsage, though SS gets Evasion eventually on its own.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-08, 11:12 AM
You can nab Spell reflection from the rogue dip.