PDA

View Full Version : How is that man so lucky!?

Valdor
2013-12-08, 03:11 PM
So, my OP-Fu is weak as is my Google-Fu. I am looking to make the luckiest man alive. I have had the work string of luck these last 4 sessions( two characters dying from crits and just last night 2/3 fights I was taken out of commission in the first round of the fight). Well I am sick of it. I want to make the luckiest man alive. Someone who just stumbles his way through challenges and encounters and thinks it is his "skills" but it is more luck then anything. I am honestly looking for more lucky then anything but him, also being competent in and out of combat would be good.

I was honestly thinking of starting out as Hexblade for the cursing and also the Dark Companion ACF do get rid of enemies luck. Follow that into Fortunes Friend PrC and from there I have no idea. I was thinking maybe Fatespinner or even Luck Stealer. Obviously I want all the luck feats in Complete Scoundrel lol. Other then that I am lost.

Help O mighty Playground, you are my only hope! This character is lvl 9 and all books are available except for Dragon Magazine. No homebrew. Also we do feats like Pathfinder so a feat every odd level. Thanks in advance folks :smallsmile:

Epsilon Rose
2013-12-08, 04:07 PM
Out of curiosity, is homebrew allowable? There's a homebrew class called the Nord's Blade (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4779) that's all about being favored by fate and messing with probability. It even switches you over to bell-curve rolling, which should help limit your bad luck.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-08, 04:32 PM
Maybe grab the save-boosting Counters from TOB, to simulate being so lucky all he has to do is focus his brain and he's not going to get hurt.

malonkey1
2013-12-08, 04:56 PM
And then, a bit more on the nose, Complete Scoundrel had Luck Feats, which each give you a single "Luck Reroll", and you can spend such rerolls to reroll certain rolls. Did I use the word "roll" enough? Additionally, you might roll up a Warlock and play its Invocations up as constant random happenstance (Eldritch Blast could simply mean people randomly injuring themselves or bursting into flames!) Another thought would be putting a lot of ranks into your skills and simply fluffing it as "I stick a piano wire into the lock, wiggle it around, and it clicks open" instead of "I move the third pin itno place while being careful not to accidentally scramble the tumblers."

Valdor
2013-12-08, 05:04 PM
Out of curiosity, is homebrew allowable? There's a homebrew class called the Nord's Blade (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4779) that's all about being favored by fate and messing with probability. It even switches you over to bell-curve rolling, which should help limit your bad luck.

As of now no homebrew is generally allowed but if I can put up a good enough defense I might be able to swing something.

And then, a bit more on the nose, Complete Scoundrel had Luck Feats, which each give you a single "Luck Reroll", and you can spend such rerolls to reroll certain rolls. Did I use the word "roll" enough? Additionally, you might roll up a Warlock and play its Invocations up as constant random happenstance (Eldritch Blast could simply mean people randomly injuring themselves or bursting into flames!) Another thought would be putting a lot of ranks into your skills and simply fluffing it as "I stick a piano wire into the lock, wiggle it around, and it clicks open" instead of "I move the third pin itno place while being careful not to accidentally scramble the tumblers."

I already mentioned the luck feats for rerolling and as for refluffing skills, I am really loving the idea of " I kick the locked door, It opens!? ... Um just like I knew it would!" Though we just had another player play a warlock so I want to bring something fresh to the table.

Greenish
2013-12-08, 05:05 PM
Pride domain's granted power allows a free reroll every time you roll a nat 1 on a save (because you're just too proud to fail, damnit!).

Venger
2013-12-08, 05:21 PM
I essentially made this character in iron chef a few years ago for mindbender

here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12366061&postcount=244)

of course, since you don't need to showcase mindbender, you've got more freedom to work in more luckstealer, fatemaker, or fatespinner as you see fit.

build's in "rules of the game" and if you can, get some bands of fortune, which you can recharge using luckstealer, giving yourself a bottomless pool of rerolls.

basic conceit when building a character like this is to get as large a pool of rerolls as possible to cut down on the time you need to spend recharging.

Valdor
2013-12-08, 05:29 PM
I essentially made this character in iron chef a few years ago for mindbender

here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12366061&postcount=244)

of course, since you don't need to showcase mindbender, you've got more freedom to work in more luckstealer, fatemaker, or fatespinner as you see fit.

build's in "rules of the game" and if you can, get some bands of fortune, which you can recharge using luckstealer, giving yourself a bottomless pool of rerolls.

basic conceit when building a character like this is to get as large a pool of rerolls as possible to cut down on the time you need to spend recharging.

Ok this looks really interesting. :smallbiggrin: Just a couple of questions; What and where are Bands of Fortune located? And I have never heard Fatemaker so what book is that in?

Edit: How do you "recharge' the bands exactly?

Elderand
2013-12-08, 05:33 PM
Play a wizard or other tier 1 casters. I know it's sound like wizard is the solution to everything (well it could be) but in this case I think it might be a good idea.

Wizard with proper spell selection can minimise rolls or maximise reroll, perfect if you got crappy dice luck.

Valdor
2013-12-08, 05:40 PM
Play a wizard or other tier 1 casters. I know it's sound like wizard is the solution to everything (well it could be) but in this case I think it might be a good idea.

Wizard with proper spell selection can minimise rolls or maximise reroll, perfect if you got crappy dice luck.

We already have a Wizard unfortunately and I don't like stepping on anyone's toes. Otherwise I would. I normally play the caster and am pretty decent at them( except for the first character in this string of bad luck)

Elderand
2013-12-08, 05:44 PM
We already have a Wizard unfortunately and I don't like stepping on anyone's toes. Otherwise I would. I normally play the caster and am pretty decent at them( except for the first character in this string of bad luck)

Two wizards is one wizard too many, I'm afraid you'll have to indulge in the honored tradition of murdering the competition :P

HaikenEdge
2013-12-08, 06:12 PM
Play a Factotum, and treat all the Cunning X abilities as the Factotum's luck kicking in? Same with the Arcane Dilettante stuff as well.

Valdor
2013-12-08, 06:35 PM
Two wizards is one wizard too many, I'm afraid you'll have to indulge in the honored tradition of murdering the competition :P

You know you are on Reddit too much when I just tried to up vote this comment :smalltongue:

Venger
2013-12-08, 07:03 PM
Ok this looks really interesting. :smallbiggrin: Just a couple of questions; What and where are Bands of Fortune located? And I have never heard Fatemaker so what book is that in?

Edit: How do you "recharge' the bands exactly?

as discussed in that post under the level headers (uncollapse tabs in that post and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12366047&postcount=243) and search for "level 5" along with 10, 15, and 20 to understand playtips.

as mentioned in the post I linked you to, the bands of fortune are on page 115 of complete scoundrel

luckstealer's from races of the wild
fatemaker is in the planar handbook

the way you recharge (discussed in more detail in the playtips section) is with luckstealer's curse of the fatespurned ability. every time you curse an enemy, you gain 2 points to your luckstealer luck pool.

for every 3 of these points you spend, you can make a free luck reroll as using a luck feat, as per the sidebar on page 73 of complete scoundrel regarding luckstealer and luck pools.

by judicious application and keeping your pool full at all times, you can have functionally unlimited rerolls.

the bands let you burn uses of luck rerolls. by replenishing your pool, you can use the bands indefinitely (and as a swift action, so even in the same round you curse an enemy, which is a move action) with enough room for a standard.

this is part of why monty's entry to mindbender works so well. surrounding oneself with many charmed/dominated/otherwise hoodwinked lackeys gives you a lot of warm bodies to steal luck from even outside a combat scenario since it lasts for a whole minute, easily enough time for a combat, and not so long that you ruin your minions for the rest of the day.

Ansem
2013-12-08, 07:18 PM
You have a Scythe guy build combined with a few fighter dips and other dips all thrown together with the Luck feat chains to basically always get him to do his thing. For flavour only, Fatespinner?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-12-08, 07:34 PM
How about Fortune's Friend? It's not particularly great, but a two level dip will serve you well (No cost Luck Feat activation, an extra Luck reroll per day AND an extra, free Luck Feat).

Plus, it's also one of, if not the, easiest PrCs to qualify for. Other than the Luck feat, you're going to qualify by virtue of being a PC.

Valdor
2013-12-09, 12:13 AM
How about Fortune's Friend? It's not particularly great, but a two level dip will serve you well (No cost Luck Feat activation, an extra Luck reroll per day AND an extra, free Luck Feat).

Plus, it's also one of, if not the, easiest PrCs to qualify for. Other than the Luck feat, you're going to qualify by virtue of being a PC.

I was thinking of going that route. I was probably going to do 4 lvls in Fortunes Friend after some Hexblade and finish it off with Fatemaker. Pepper the build with luck feats and hope I survive till the end lol.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-12-09, 05:39 AM
I wouldn't recommend it, two levels is more than enough. The poor BAB and generally lackluster abilities are far from worth it. Take two more levels of Hexblade or something, which would be far more profitable.

Valdor
2013-12-09, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend it, two levels is more than enough. The poor BAB and generally lackluster abilities are far from worth it. Take two more levels of Hexblade or something, which would be far more profitable.

Noted. So hexblade5/fortunes friend2/fatemaker?/mindbender?. How does this sound over all. I'll need to look at both mindbender and fatemaker to find proper balance

Schizek
2013-12-09, 07:45 AM
Noted. So hexblade5/fortunes friend2/fatemaker?/mindbender?. How does this sound over all. I'll need to look at both mindbender and fatemaker to find proper balance
What will be you primary role in team ?? This will be still around 4-5 Tier.

If you want to represent brutal force go for Warblade with barbarian dip or PsyWar with War Mind. Warblade concentration in place of saves in long run will be better than Cha to saves. You can make it into nice flavor where your Warblade trains concentration to achieve power of luck

Rerolls sounds cool but in reality if your basic ability is low they will not help you:

Fighter 10 with Will save of (3Basic +3 item Resistance)=6 have Luck reroll:
Against DC 17 with reroll is 79% chance of success.

Warblade 10 with Concentration of (13+4Con+5 item)=22
Against DC 17 auto-success :P

Fighter spend 9k on item and Feats- once per day up to around 5
Warblade spend 13 skill points and 2500gp any number per day.

Segev
2013-12-09, 08:12 AM
Might I recommend Druid into Fortune's Friend and Luckstealer?

I suggest this route because Luckstealer can steal from any living target. Be a goatherd or a kennel keeper. Have your animals trained for combat and various other utility tricks. Collect other normal animals for other such things.

At low level, a druid's animal companion is almost as good as a second Fighter in the party (and is better than most fighters at first level). Add in a couple of trained combat goats (or hounds), and you've got yourself flanking buddies and Aid Another actions for your AC and your to-hit rolls. Or those of your animal companion, if you're hanging back and buffing.

Throw in Bard, and you could go Fochlucan Lyrist, or Sorcerer for Arcane Hierophant. Either can feed into Fatespinner later on.

At higher level, your herd of loyal, combat-trained animals is vulnerable, so you don't want to send them into combat without some major buffs, but you also don't have to. Instead, Lucksteal from them when there aren't enemies to do so. Luckstealer's Curse of the Fatespurned can be used up to 2x/round if you devote your move and standard to it, meaning you can spend 9 rounds to curse 18 critters, and the move action on a 19th, to rack up 38 luck points to devote to a skill roll.

Oh, and a one-level dip of Warlock might still be worth it for Dark One's Own Luck. +6 luck bonus to whatever save you chose when you last activated it. Standard action to swap.

Thurbane
2013-12-09, 08:28 AM
It's pretty level intensive, but if you are a Binder, the 5th level vestige Balam give you one re-roll every 5 rounds. Once every 4 rounds with the Rapid Recovery feat.

But like I said, you're probably going to want a dedicated Binder build to make this worthwhile.

Valdor
2013-12-09, 09:26 AM
What will be you primary role in team ?? This will be still around 4-5 Tier.

If you want to represent brutal force go for Warblade with barbarian dip or PsyWar with War Mind. Warblade concentration in place of saves in long run will be better than Cha to saves. You can make it into nice flavor where your Warblade trains concentration to achieve power of luck

Rerolls sounds cool but in reality if your basic ability is low they will not help you:

Fighter 10 with Will save of (3Basic +3 item Resistance)=6 have Luck reroll:
Against DC 17 with reroll is 79% chance of success.

Warblade 10 with Concentration of (13+4Con+5 item)=22
Against DC 17 auto-success :P

Fighter spend 9k on item and Feats- once per day up to around 5
Warblade spend 13 skill points and 2500gp any number per day.

Main role is to stay alive. We already have a cleric/wizard for all the spells that we may ever need, a duskblade that deals insane thw damage, and some sort of skill monkey with decent damage. The duskblade is also the party face. So I am honestly just looking to be an all around decent character that is just lucky as hell. Stumbles through traps while hung over and doesn't get touched, bends down to pick an object just as an ogre would have taken off his head. That sort of feel. We try not to bring tiers into the game... well, they dont. I get yelled at when I bring up tiers lol.

Might I recommend Druid into Fortune's Friend and Luckstealer?

I suggest this route because Luckstealer can steal from any living target. Be a goatherd or a kennel keeper. Have your animals trained for combat and various other utility tricks. Collect other normal animals for other such things.

At low level, a druid's animal companion is almost as good as a second Fighter in the party (and is better than most fighters at first level). Add in a couple of trained combat goats (or hounds), and you've got yourself flanking buddies and Aid Another actions for your AC and your to-hit rolls. Or those of your animal companion, if you're hanging back and buffing.

Throw in Bard, and you could go Fochlucan Lyrist, or Sorcerer for Arcane Hierophant. Either can feed into Fatespinner later on.

At higher level, your herd of loyal, combat-trained animals is vulnerable, so you don't want to send them into combat without some major buffs, but you also don't have to. Instead, Lucksteal from them when there aren't enemies to do so. Luckstealer's Curse of the Fatespurned can be used up to 2x/round if you devote your move and standard to it, meaning you can spend 9 rounds to curse 18 critters, and the move action on a 19th, to rack up 38 luck points to devote to a skill roll.

Oh, and a one-level dip of Warlock might still be worth it for Dark One's Own Luck. +6 luck bonus to whatever save you chose when you last activated it. Standard action to swap.

I do kind of like this from a role playing stand point.
Other players: Why do you have a goat?
Me: Charlie? He is my lucky goat. As long as he is around I have really good luck. absorb luck
Charlie:*Munches on grass*

TroubleBrewing
2013-12-09, 09:28 AM
Human Commoner 1/Survivor 5/Hexblade 3/Fortune's Friend 5/Whatever you want 6.

Chumley Stickfoot, Hireling Extraordinaire!

Schizek
2013-12-09, 09:52 AM
Main role is to stay alive. We already have a cleric/wizard for all the spells that we may ever need, a duskblade that deals insane thw damage, and some sort of skill monkey with decent damage. The duskblade is also the party face. So I am honestly just looking to be an all around decent character that is just lucky as hell. Stumbles through traps while hung over and doesn't get touched, bends down to pick an object just as an ogre would have taken off his head. That sort of feel. We try not to bring tiers into the game... well, they dont. I get yelled at when I bring up tiers lol.

You play with Wizard and Cleric Tier 1 and Duskblade Tier 3, Sneaky Tier 3/4 with give in average 2 Tier.

Main role is to stay alive.
Then build Dragonborn Warblade or Crusader. You will be useful and have some options to stay alive.