PDA

View Full Version : Question about monsters and creatures in dnd 3.5

ExplosiveHulk
2013-12-08, 03:32 PM
I want to apply templates to creatures in my campaign to challenge my players more. Some templates say they can be applied to "any living corporeal creature". The specific types I am wondering about are plants, undead, and constructs. Also do subtypes like swarm have any effect on this? I know I am DM, but I also want to better understand the rules, even though I could just rule 0 the template to be applied. Thank you

Elderand
2013-12-08, 03:34 PM
I want to apply templates to creatures in my campaign to challenge my players more. Some templates say they can be applied to "any living corporeal creature". The specific types I am wondering about are plants, undead, and constructs. Also do subtypes like swarm have any effect on this? I know I am DM, but I also want to better understand the rules, even though I could just rule 0 the template to be applied. Thank you

Any living exclude undead and constructs, works for plants.

Greenish
2013-12-08, 03:36 PM
Plants are living corporeal creatures (at least, the plants that are creatures in the first place). Undead and Constructs aren't, unsurprisingly (though Constructs with the Living Construct subtype are living creatures). Subtype modifies but does not change the type, and few of them are as radical as Living Construct.

OldTrees1
2013-12-08, 04:48 PM
Anything with a Wis and Cha is a creature (Thing with Wis - and Cha - are merely objects)

Anything that does not have the Incorporeal subtype is Corporeal

Undead and Constructs(Except Warforged) are the only non living creatures. All other creatures are living creatures.

So anything with a Wis and Cha without the Incorporeal subtype and is not Undead or a Construct (unless it is a Warforged) qualifies as a Living Corporeal Creature.

holywhippet
2013-12-08, 05:36 PM
Anything with a Wis and Cha is a creature (Thing with Wis - and Cha - are merely objects)

Thank god for that. I'd hate to try and understand how a half dragon plant monster could exist.

Elderand
2013-12-08, 05:42 PM
Thank god for that. I'd hate to try and understand how a half dragon plant monster could exist.

>_>

<_<

They do exist

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 05:53 PM
>_>

<_<

They do exist

not only do they exist but somehow math and logic will willingly commit ritual suicide to allow half-dragon half-fae half-fiend plant creatures if the DM is crazy enough. why? because magic...horribly disturbing mind shattering magic.

ShurikVch
2013-12-08, 05:55 PM
Demotivator
http://25.media.tumblr.com/9b0d90ab4f46efd13be1beb794356b5b/tumblr_mkpkxtXv0o1rmwv9ho1_1280.jpg

Elderand
2013-12-08, 05:57 PM
not only do they exist but somehow math and logic will willingly commit ritual suicide to allow half-dragon half-fae half-fiend plant creatures if the DM is crazy enough. why? because magic...horribly disturbing mind shattering magic.

Friends don't let friends stack templates

Eldan
2013-12-08, 06:04 PM
It's called refluffing.

A half-fey, half-silver dragon, half-fiend treant, as an example, is a special kind of arctic storm spirit that disguises itself as a tree, but brings terrible, unholy icy winds when angered and lays waste to entire villages.