PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Character Homebrew?

Raptor2213
2013-12-08, 04:10 PM
My players acquired a wyrmling dragon from a 1st-level adventure, and wish to make it a party member. My problem is that the Draconomicon rules for Player Characters make even the most basic dragons a fairly ridiculous ECL.

Has anyone dabbled with making reasonable rules for draconic characters, or am I on my own here? I should also mention, this is a highly-powered game, so I'm not worried about it being slightly OP.

ShurikVch
2013-12-08, 06:17 PM
Dragon Magazin have racial classes for standard true dragons

Start with LA +0, 1 HD and wyrmling-sized

#332 have chromatic dragons, and #320 - metallic ones

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-08, 06:23 PM
Dragon Magazin have racial classes for standard true dragons

Start with LA +0, 1 HD and wyrmling-sized

#332 have chromatic dragons, and #320 - metallic ones

Likely this, if you want to be "official".

But really, Dragons have way too much LA in my opinion. If it's a high-powered game, you actually should be fine with eliminating the LA completely. They get a lot from that First HD, yeah, but after that it's just a solid melee chassis. I've played a mid-op campaign and one of my players played a Copper Dragon with minimal LA (I think it was +1, or something) and he fit in just fine.

ShurikVch
2013-12-08, 06:31 PM
By the way: what kind of dragon?

Likely this, if you want to be "official".

But really, Dragons have way too much LA in my opinion. If it's a high-powered game, you actually should be fine with eliminating the LA completely. They get a lot from that First HD, yeah, but after that it's just a solid melee chassis. I've played a mid-op campaign and one of my players played a Copper Dragon with minimal LA (I think it was +1, or something) and he fit in just fine.
Then I suggest just remove the LA levels, ans distribute benefits from them to between previous and next HD levels.
It will be dragon monster class with less than 20 levels