PDA

View Full Version : Avenger with a Holy Avenger

Vec
2013-12-08, 07:56 PM
Is it possible for an avenger to use a holy avenger or is that strictly for paladins?

Elkreeal
2013-12-08, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the phrase: "The most prized weapon of any paladin" doesn't really mean much. You can use it even without proficiency with the weapon that has the enchantment, although it wouldn't do much.
In sum: Yes the avenger can use it.

Mando Knight
2013-12-08, 09:10 PM
There are other, more generic weapon enchantments that allow weapons to be treated as holy symbols. I think one or two might even be for Avengers only.

Airk
2013-12-09, 10:59 AM
There are other, more generic weapon enchantments that allow weapons to be treated as holy symbols. I think one or two might even be for Avengers only.

I don't think there are any 'avenger only' weapons, but there are several where only an Avenger would -want- to use it, because it becomes, basically a +X sword with no extra abilities in the hands of anyone else.

Leewei
2013-12-09, 11:22 AM
Just what 4e needs -- an Avenger Holy Avenger. Now, let's make this a glaive guisarme glaive...

Sol
2013-12-09, 02:40 PM
It pretty much needs to be stated that with very, very few exceptions, Avenger Implement powers are a trap and should be avoided at all costs.

Yakk
2013-12-09, 05:13 PM
Yep. "My kick ass class feature is a melee-only ability. Now, lets pick some powers that are neither that striker-esque, nor melee!"

If every Avenger implement power was an triggered or minor action, then they'd be somewhat tempting as something you do "as well as" your main attack. Or even if every Avenger implement power left a "rider" that souped up your next melee attack (ideally hit or miss).

Instead, you get mediocre striker powers that rely on a completely different tool set (items and feats).

I could 'brew a quick change to make Avenger implement powers not suck. And I like doing that!

Censure of Pursuit
If you hit a target with an Encounter Attack Avenger Implement power, you can shift up to your speed and make an avenger melee weapon attack as a free action.

Censure of Retribution
If you are hit by an enemy who is not under your Oath of Enmity and not marked by you, you may use a Encounter Attack Avenger Implement power on your Oath target as an immediate reaction. On the attack roll, you may roll twice and take the better result. This does not provoke opportunity attacks from them or your Oath of Enmity target.

Censure of Unity
If an ally of yours who is adjacent to your Oath of Enmity target and no other creatures hits your Oath of Enmity target, as an immediate reaction you may use an Encounter Attack Avenger Implement power on them. This does not provoke opportunity attacks from your Oath of Enmity target.

Now, Retribution sucks in comparison to the other two. Not sure how to make it not suck.

georgie_leech
2013-12-09, 09:20 PM
Now, Retribution sucks in comparison to the other two. Not sure how to make it not suck.

Maybe something like "If the attack hits, it deals additional damage equal to [some fraction; initial gut reaction is half] of the damage done by the triggering attack. This extra damage can only be applied once per immediate reaction." There's probably a fraction somewhere that makes it a useful high-risk, high-reward class feature without making it outshine even Twin-strike Rangers.

MeeposFire
2013-12-09, 10:13 PM
It pretty much needs to be stated that with very, very few exceptions, Avenger Implement powers are a trap and should be avoided at all costs.

Well even so while the holy avenger is expensive as I recall I think it gives you +1d10 damage on radiant attacks which with an avenger can be darn near all of them. You can do worse and it is thematic.

Sol
2013-12-09, 10:26 PM
Well even so while the holy avenger is expensive as I recall I think it gives you +1d10 damage on radiant attacks which with an avenger can be darn near all of them. You can do worse and it is thematic.

Indeed, it's not a bad enchant at all, just so long as you use it as a weapon and not a weapliment. Still, a Radiant Weapon is Uncommon instead of Rare, saves you up to 1,125,000gp on Iron Armbands of Power, and doesn't mandate that you cherry pick all radiant powers. Holy Avenger does out-damage it on natively radiant powers, though, if you also have armbands, and if you're not using a full suite of radiant-abuse and are okay with it only working with your encounter/daily powers.

Of course, by the level it comes into play, Radiant One can fix the whole radiant issue, which makes it better. But RO also adds fire, and Firewind Blade exists.