PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible to slay a god, with the help of other gods?

RPGaddict28
2013-12-08, 08:44 PM
While mortals probably couldn't slay a god by themselves, could say a 20th level wizard, 20th level cleric, and Corellon Larethian kill Gruumsh?

TuggyNE
2013-12-08, 09:02 PM
Sure, why not.

It's happened before.

Coidzor
2013-12-08, 09:05 PM
That's generally the way of it. Mortal Proxies get powerful maguffins/artifacts/other aid from another deity or deities and wax a Power that's rocking the boat.

Alleran
2013-12-08, 09:06 PM
Absolutely. Although running them as-written, I don't know exactly how much use the mortals are going to be.

ryu
2013-12-08, 09:07 PM
Depends. Are we talking gods as fluffed to act by WotC or gods actually acting rationally and competently? The latter is a tricky question. The former would mean the wizard likely doesn't even need help.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-08, 09:08 PM
depends on the setting's parameters for the power the gods have, some like pathfinder's core setting or D&D you could probably kill them, some have gods that are TRULY omnipotent to the point where even if you managed to put them down it would be because they let you and there's nothing keeping them from standing right back up.

Big Fau
2013-12-08, 09:09 PM
While mortals probably couldn't slay a god by themselves, could say a 20th level wizard, 20th level cleric, and Corellon Larethian kill Gruumsh?

Any spellcaster of at least 21st level on up is capable of killing gods. A properly prepared 20th level caster can take on a god, provided he has plenty of time to scout out that deity's capabilities.

The D&D gods aren't that powerful, at least not by their Deities and Demigods stats. The real issue is dealing with the abilities their Divine Ranks provide, such as automatically rolling 20s on any attack roll or saving throw. You have to work hard to bypass those.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-08, 09:09 PM
Depends on the setting, and doing so might not end so well. Some gods are the manifestation of an idea or aspect of reality, and it also tends to create the problem that their divine domains are up for grabs on a first come, first serve basis.

It could make an entertaining epic level campaign, I think, through I would worry about it being railroady. If you need the Doodad of Awesomess to kill the god, finding an alternate means can be tricky since, well, the setting is unlikely to be chock-full of deity killing items.

Spore
2013-12-08, 09:31 PM
Did no one seriously EVER play the Baldur's Gate Saga here?

RPGaddict28
2013-12-08, 09:35 PM
Any spellcaster of at least 21st level on up is capable of killing gods. A properly prepared 20th level caster can take on a god, provided he has plenty of time to scout out that deity's capabilities.

The D&D gods aren't that powerful, at least not by their Deities and Demigods stats. The real issue is dealing with the abilities their Divine Ranks provide, such as automatically rolling 20s on any attack roll or saving throw. You have to work hard to bypass those.

Now, what kinda things would I need to do/spells I need to cast to kill Gruumsh at level 21.

awa
2013-12-08, 09:41 PM
baulders gate while fun is not 3.0, 3.5 or pathfinder and thus irrelevant to the discussion

Coidzor
2013-12-09, 03:37 PM
Now, what kinda things would I need to do/spells I need to cast to kill Gruumsh at level 21.

Mostly in Ask Your DM territory beyond standard epic level optimization.

Edit: Because if your DM isn't on board you can't kill a god anyway.

Big Fau
2013-12-09, 03:48 PM

Start sifting through his statblock and designing Epic spells over the course of 4-5 years specifically to take him down, then mitigate the Spellcraft DCs and costs down to negligible amounts. Basic Epic Spellcasting optimization.

cerin616
2013-12-09, 03:53 PM
baulders gate while fun is not 3.0, 3.5 or pathfinder and thus irrelevant to the discussion

Ad&d 2, and set in forgotten realms.

It doesn't have the exact same rule set, but the concepts are still the same.

Very relevant to discussion.

Talderas
2013-12-09, 04:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_(Forgotten_Realms)

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-09, 04:14 PM
That might be a basis for making a good campaign, but I am not sure how much of the videogame can be considered canon. Especially since you can taunt a certain well-known drow and his companions into attacking you and then killing him for epic loots...

And I think what did end up becoming canon was pretty vague.

Threadnaught
2013-12-09, 04:20 PM
Is it too late to do the short answer, long answer (yes) joke? :smallconfused:

Brookshw
2013-12-09, 04:35 PM
That might be a basis for making a good campaign, but I am not sure how much of the videogame can be considered canon. Especially since you can taunt a certain well-known drow and his companions into attacking you and then killing him for epic loots...

To the best of my knowledge its not Canon and I know Afro dismisses it as such.

Still a very fun series :smallbiggrin:

Edit: oh yeah, the op! Difficult but do-able though the more divine ranks and sda's the harder. Keeping a greater diety dead? I wish you luck!

Coidzor
2013-12-09, 04:38 PM

It's not canon, but, hey, you don't need it to be canon for it to be of use in this case unless your plan is dependent upon a particular object from the series.