PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Movement

GhengisConrad
2013-12-08, 11:59 PM
What is the easiest way to gain the "freedom of movement" spell? Best I got is 7 levels of Cleric/Sorcerer/Shaman and/or travel domain... can anyone think of any races or classes that grant such a thing?

Really I am interested in having an IRON clad counter to mass ectoplasmic coccoon from the 3.0 psionics book....

answers on how to obtain either... would be much appreciated.

AmberVael
2013-12-09, 12:02 AM
You can get the effect from the Heart of Water spell, 3rd level Druid, Sorcerer/Wizard, Wu Jen spell, Complete Mage page 107.

It's not freedom of movement straight up, but a long term buff that you can sacrifice for a short duration freedom of movement effect. It's a pretty good spell.

Fates
2013-12-09, 12:03 AM
This is sort of niche, but the Scaled Horror PrC from Savage Species gets permanent FoM when underwater...there's also the Ring of Freedom of Movement, of course.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-09, 12:16 AM
is there an alternate source for 'Heart of Water' besides Complete Mage?

Kraken
2013-12-09, 12:18 AM
is there an alternate source for 'Heart of Water' besides Complete Mage?

Doubtful. Complete Mage was printed after the Spell Compendium, toward the back of 3.5's lifetime.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-09, 12:24 AM
This is sort of niche, but the Scaled Horror PrC from Savage Species gets permanent FoM when underwater...there's also the Ring of Freedom of Movement, of course.

Now if only there was a way to act as though permanently underwater! No, seriously... is there?

I don't like magic items, because in a role-playing situation, they are really more at the DM's discretion. Racial and Class abilities sort of 'intrinsic' to the character is more what I am looking for here.

Any kind of a monster with a clear ECL could be useable here too....

Totema
2013-12-09, 12:27 AM
If all you're mostly worried about is countering Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon, have you looked at the Periapt of the Sullen Sea in the MIC? It lets you exchange any of your 4th level prepared spells for Freedom of Movement.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-09, 12:27 AM
Anything that lets you 'get out' of a sticky situation (like ectoplasmic coccoon) is viable here.

Dimension Door or Teleport are good options too...

For example, I have long considered a Tauric Blink Dog (ECL 7), although it would be no better than 7 levels of Shaman, and you only gain like... 2 abilities....

Thrawn183
2013-12-09, 12:29 AM
Now if only there was a way to act as though permanently underwater! No, seriously... is there?

Have someone push you around in a giant aquarium all day?

eggynack
2013-12-09, 12:29 AM
If you seek blink dog prowess, I advise a druid with exalted wild shape. Blink dog powers tied to a druid base is crazy. Also, they get both heart of water and freedom of movement, which is nice.

TuggyNE
2013-12-09, 02:13 AM
Really I am interested in having an IRON clad counter to mass ectoplasmic coccoon from the 3.0 psionics book....

If nothing else, there's always, I durno, not using 3.0 psionics.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-09, 02:56 AM
If nothing else, there's always, I durno, not using 3.0 psionics.

At this point, in my situation, that is just the same as giving up. What we play by, is what we play by.

ShurikVch
2013-12-09, 03:39 AM
Now if only there was a way to act as though permanently underwater! No, seriously... is there? Ride a large water elemental

Totema
2013-12-09, 03:41 AM
Ride a large water elemental
I think, at that point, Ectoplasmic Cocoon is kind of moot anyway. :smalltongue:

Zombimode
2013-12-09, 04:58 AM
The Travel Domain grants you an Freedom of Movement power.

bekeleven
2013-12-09, 05:03 AM
Ride a large water elemental

Ride a Seryulin