PDA

View Full Version : One handed melee builds?

Yogibear41
2013-12-09, 04:10 AM
Are there any builds that can optimized using a 1 handed melee weapon for dealing damage with an empty off hand? With a scimitar being the weapon of choice, gish ideas work great too.

OldTrees1
2013-12-09, 04:42 AM
Take a two-handed build (that is not weapon specific or uses a one-handed weapon) and use the weapon one-handed. Sure your damage will be lower but almost everything else will be the same.

Setra
2013-12-09, 04:48 AM
Duskblades can be amazing with just a one handed weapon.

Of course they can also use shields, but I mean they don't have to.

You could also try maybe a Rogue/Swashbuckler build with Daring Outlaw, people usually go twf for Rogues but one handed works fine there too.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-09, 04:49 AM
IIRC, blade bravo is restricted to wielding a weapon one-handed but it was the subject of an Iron Chef Optimization Challenge a while back. Several good builds to see there.

Greenish
2013-12-09, 06:05 AM
Warblade with focus on strikes might work. You could also dip into EWM (take Great Scimitar, for example) for Uncanny Blow, and use the standard PA tricks to the desired extent.

Studoku
2013-12-09, 06:13 AM
The Einhander feat (PHBII) gives you some interesting abilities when you use a 1-hander and an empty off-hand.

Hytheter
2013-12-09, 07:17 AM
The Einhander feat (PHBII) gives you some interesting abilities when you use a 1-hander and an empty off-hand.

I've looked at that but I'm not sold on it.

The first effect is a boost to fighting defensively. Do people really use that though?
The second is only a minor bonus to a highly specific circumstance.
The third is interesting, and would probably see some nice use, but its still really situational.

I'm not sure the effects justify using only one weapon.

Gwendol
2013-12-09, 07:20 AM
Add on a daring outlaw? Or a warblade as already suggested.

Kaeso
2013-12-09, 07:49 AM
I've looked at that but I'm not sold on it.

The first effect is a boost to fighting defensively. Do people really use that though?
The second is only a minor bonus to a highly specific circumstance.
The third is interesting, and would probably see some nice use, but its still really situational.

I'm not sure the effects justify using only one weapon.

I agree on the first and second, but the third is really nice in certain builds. The most obvious use would be sneak attacking: you can faint as a free action when using a one handed weapon. If the feint succeeds, the enemy is flat footed and thus vulnerable to a sneak attack. Since you only used a free action, you can full attack him. Combine this with some form of pounce and your rogue can rush in, feint, sneak attack the hell out of his enemy with a full attack and deal some massive damage.

Even without a sneak attack, catching an opponent flat footed is always nice, it makes hitting them a bit easier.

gorfnab
2013-12-09, 10:39 AM
Here is an Einhander Swashbuckler type build I came up with some time ago. It focuses on gaining huge bonuses to AC when fighting defensively. At high levels it uses that plus Stormguard Warrior and Robilars Gambit to really dice things up.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

Items:
Vest of Defence
Broadblade Shortsword (if flaws are allowed) otherwise Rapier with the Defensive Surge enhancement.

Kudaku
2013-12-09, 10:41 AM
Are you limited to 3.5 or is PF on the table? There are a number of gish concepts that work extremely well with scimitars in Pathfinder - the Dawnflower Dervish Bard and Bladebound Magus for example.