PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Arcane savant

kabreras
2013-12-09, 05:34 AM
Hello playground,

Starting an arcane savant (or pathfinder savant depend of the source) and i was wondering what spells i should take for esoteric magic.

6 spells to fill. Level of the spell is non important (tho filling all lvl 9 spells is quite useless during the playtime)

Was thinking about :

Breath of life
Heal
Restoration

For info our group lack a real cleric

Corlindale
2013-12-09, 07:51 AM
What class do you intend to start with - and what kind of build are you going for? That's pretty important to know before we suggest anything! I will just assume sorceror/wizard for now.

Heal is a nice choice - in one spell you get most of what a cleric can do healing-wise except raising the dead. And the latter can usually be handled with scrolls + UMD or simply by the time-honored method of dragging the body to a temple.

Breath of Life probably won't come up enough to make it worthwhile. Restoration is also a good candidate for scrolls.

I would start by looking at the Bard list - they get some excellent, unique spells for buffing and utility like Gallant Inspiration or Bard's Escape. And they get what is arguably one of the best single-target blasting spell for its level - Deafening Song Bolt (9d10 damage, sonic, no save, no SR) which might be useful for a blaster.

The witch list also has a few gems. Ill Omen is fantastic for combos with Quicken spell in the late game.

kabreras
2013-12-09, 08:41 AM
I am going a basic wizard 5 > Arcane savant 7 road

kabreras
2013-12-09, 02:43 PM
I was prety much thinking breath of life for a contingency but as i just reread the spell...

Nothing say that you cant use a scroll from an other class and UMD it to cast with the contingency...

This spell just got even better !

Helluin
2013-12-09, 03:34 PM
If you don't have a cleric, do you want to consider Freedom of Movement?

Also Arcane Savant can probably give a lot of early access to many wizard spells from the Summoner list. Greater Planar Binding at level 6? Heck yeah. (If your DM's lenient, perhaps consider binding a trumpet archon which can provide your party with cleric spellcasting. If your DM's REALLY lenient, try a Planetar...)

kabreras
2013-12-09, 04:36 PM
FoM thats a nice one i didnt trough about

Early planar binding also. But i wonder, the spell is the same so it doesnt add 1 level to it for casting purpose ?

Helluin
2013-12-09, 04:42 PM
FoM thats a nice one i didnt trough about

Early planar binding also. But i wonder, the spell is the same so it doesnt add 1 level to it for casting purpose ?

Since you already have GPB on your Wizard list, acquiring it from Summoner list through Pathfinder Savant shouldn't increase the spell level.

KekPafrany
2014-03-03, 06:54 AM
Something is not clear with this class..

If a wizard gets her first arcane savant level, she get no wizard spell on that level, right?

Then from the second level gets esoteric spell for every levels she get as an arcane savant.

grarrrg
2014-03-03, 10:37 AM
Something is not clear with this class..

If a wizard gets her first arcane savant level, she get no wizard spell on that level, right?

Then from the second level gets esoteric spell for every levels she get as an arcane savant.

Correct.
Access to a handful of off-lists spells, can always take 10 on UMD checks, increasing scroll/wand caster levels up to your own.

Yeah, that might be worth a lost level.

KekPafrany
2014-03-04, 06:29 AM
Correct.
Access to a handful of off-lists spells, can always take 10 on UMD checks, increasing scroll/wand caster levels up to your own.

Yeah, that might be worth a lost level.

Thank you for the help. :smallwink:

My other question is: for example, I take a 2nd level esoteric spell. It will take a 3rd level slot, that's okay. When I count the DC of the spell, does it count as a 2nd level spell or a 3rd level spell? My guess is the 3rd, but the wording disturbs me:

"The spell’s type (arcane or divine) and save DCs function as normal for his base spellcasting class. All other restrictions of his normal spellcasting class apply."

This last line is strange:

"This ability does not allow other spellcasters to prepare, cast, or use spell trigger or spell completion items of esoteric spells (such as a sorcerer using a cure light wounds scroll)."

Can I make items using esoteric magic but others can't use it? My character is an arcane crafter wizard, so it's crutial to know if this problem appears.

Firest Kathon
2014-03-04, 07:21 AM
Thank you for the help. :smallwink:

My other question is: for example, I take a 2nd level esoteric spell. It will take a 3rd level slot, that's okay. When I count the DC of the spell, does it count as a 2nd level spell or a 3rd level spell? My guess is the 3rd, but the wording disturbs me:

"The spell’s type (arcane or divine) and save DCs function as normal for his base spellcasting class. All other restrictions of his normal spellcasting class apply."

The DC is calculated as a 3rd level spell. The line means that e.g. as a Wizard you add your Int modifier to the DC, even if it's a spell from the cleric list (who would use their Wis modifier).

This last line is strange:

"This ability does not allow other spellcasters to prepare, cast, or use spell trigger or spell completion items of esoteric spells (such as a sorcerer using a cure light wounds scroll)."

Can I make items using esoteric magic but others can't use it? My character is an arcane crafter wizard, so it's crutial to know if this problem appears.

I'd interpret it this way. If your Wizard creates an wand of Cure Light Wounds, another wizard could not use it (unless they also had it as an esoteric spell). A cleric could use it though.

KekPafrany
2014-03-06, 12:44 PM
The DC is calculated as a 3rd level spell. The line means that e.g. as a Wizard you add your Int modifier to the DC, even if it's a spell from the cleric list (who would use their Wis modifier).

Thank you, that's clear now.

I'd interpret it this way. If your Wizard creates an wand of Cure Light Wounds, another wizard could not use it (unless they also had it as an esoteric spell). A cleric could use it though.

What about something that not simply cast a spell, just gives a bonus or some special effect? I know that effect is "made" from the spell, but not simply the spell.. For example an amulet of natural armor - I should use the barkskin spell, if I get it. I chose the craft wondrous items feat, so I mostly plan to make utility things.

Other question: What about those spells that have different levels in different classes? For example a druid gets Death ward as a 5th level spells, but for most classes it is a 4th level spell.

grarrrg
2014-03-06, 10:19 PM
Other question: What about those spells that have different levels in different classes? For example a druid gets Death ward as a 5th level spells, but for most classes it is a 4th level spell.

You get to choose which class's version when you choose the spell.
If you choose "Death Ward as a Druid" then you'd get it as a 6th level spell.
So you're obviously better off choosing Cleric/Inquisitor version and getting it as a 5th.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can take spells you _already_ have access to, but potentially get them at a lower level (there are people that will argue against "discounts", I am not one of them, hopefully your DM isn't one of them either).
Summoner is the best place to look for discounts, although Magus/Alchemist/Witch have a few cheaper as well.

Magic Jar as a 4th level spell?
Greater Teleport as a 5th level spell?
Summon Monster VIII as a 6th level spell?
Thank you Summoner!