PDA

View Full Version : Stealing from the Party [PF]

Govinator
2013-12-09, 08:48 AM
Context: My PC's just found an ancient amulet that can control (enslave) any kind of beast, normal and magical. They don't quite know exactly what it does, but they do know it's powerful. A local werewolf group has known about the amulet and wants it for themselves, but the protections in the ancient temple where it was housed specifically guarded against any kind of beasts gaining access. They waited until the PC's went in and retrieved the amulet and plan on ambushing them in order to steal it.

Now here comes my question... how should I rule out the theft whilst in combat?

The werewolves plan on attacking in wolf form, and I'm thinking that since they get free trip attacks with each hit, whenever they manage to trip someone that is when they will try and rip away the amulet from whoever has it. They will need to find out which person actually has the amulet, and then steal it from them.

From a DM perspective, how can I go about ruling this out whilst being fair to my players?

Segev
2013-12-09, 08:54 AM
Honestly, you're going to need a werewolf trained in pickpocket. IT is, I believe, a standard action to grab something with the sleight of hand skill. Flat DC based on where the item is (e.g. it'll be harder if it's in a belt pouch than if it's being worn, and harder if it's being worn than if, say, it's dangling on a hook on the outside of somebody's backpack) to successfully take it, and opposing a Perception check to see if the person from whom it's been taken notices.

You could also use the disarm or sundering rules to treat the amulet like a weapon or to cut the cord from which it hangs.

But be aware that whatever tactics you use for this, the PCs will want to be able to adopt for any magic items their foes are wearing/carrying in the future.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-09, 09:02 AM
Just make it a normal Sleight of Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand) check. The PCs likely have Perception out the arse anyway, so they'll probably see the werewolf take it.

Basically, the werewolves take a standard action and succeed in taking the object if they get a 20 or higher on the check, and the PCs notice the attempt if their Perception equals or exceeds the werewolves' sleight of hand check.

I think that's a fair way to do it, because not only do the werewolves have to waste their turns trying to grab the amulet while the PCs murder them, the PCs have a reasonable chance to see the amulet being swiped and pursue. If the dice swing heavily enough in your favor that the werewolves succeed in both swiping the amulet and running off with it, then they won the encounter.

Spore
2013-12-09, 09:05 AM
Remember that stealing without Improved Steal provokes attacks of opportunity.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-09, 09:12 AM
Remember that stealing without Improved Steal provokes attacks of opportunity.

For clarity, you're talking about the steal combat maneuver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Steal), which is different from a sleight of hand check.

Spore
2013-12-09, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't allow a sleight of hand check in the middle of a battle. You are NOT pickpocketing but ripping an item from your opponent.

Keneth
2013-12-09, 09:26 AM
Please note that Sleight of Hand can't be used during combat for the purposes of stealing unless the creature is unaware of you.

You cannot use this skill to take an object from another creature during combat if the creature is aware of your presence.

A steal combat maneuver should be the way to go.

Benthesquid
2013-12-09, 09:41 AM
Steal if the amulet is visible, sunder to start cutting open their bags if it isn't.

Govinator
2013-12-09, 09:51 AM
@ Segev, I'm still using your suggestions for the guy working to build the Empire of the Wolf! :D

Oh snap, I did not know there was a steal combat maneuver! That on top of using some sunders should solve the issue quite readily. I figure the wolves can try a slight of hand at night during a watch and if that doesn't work, have them use the appropriate combat manuever.

This solves the issue quite nicely, thanks all!