PDA

View Full Version : Custom Magic Armor/Weapon Enhancements?

unseenmage
2013-12-09, 11:41 AM
One thing I don't think I've ever read is info on designing Custom Magic Item Armor/Weapon Enhancements.

Would there be an equivalent spell level for each plus?
If not how else would one assign a given special ability an enhancement bonus?

unseenmage
2013-12-09, 04:20 PM
A bout or two of Googling has yielded no results.

I've been thinking about it and though a codified set of rules for creating new and unique Custom Magic Armor/Weapon Enhancements would be nice I'm more interested in an equivalency between how Enhancement Pluses and Spell Levels.

+1 =/< 0th-1st level spells etc? Maybe? I'm unsure.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-09, 09:14 PM
I don't know of any standards.
Prices seem to be based more on how useful it is (or seemed when first created).

For instance:
Anarchic is CL 7 (level 4 spell) and is +2
Bane is CL 8 (summon monster 1) and is +1
Flaming is CL 10 (2nd through 5th level spell), and +1.
Flaming burst is CL 12 (same spells as flaming) and +2.
Ghost touch is CL 9 (5th or 7th level spell) and +1.

unseenmage
2013-12-10, 04:34 PM
I don't know of any standards.
Prices seem to be based more on how useful it is (or seemed when first created).

For instance:
Anarchic is CL 7 (level 4 spell) and is +2
Bane is CL 8 (summon monster 1) and is +1
Flaming is CL 10 (2nd through 5th level spell), and +1.
Flaming burst is CL 12 (same spells as flaming) and +2.
Ghost touch is CL 9 (5th or 7th level spell) and +1.

Are those exceptions to the rule or is such randomness the norm instead?
I was hoping there would be some trend we could build off of at the least.

But if there isn't then there isn't and the only recourse would be via the Custom Magic Items guidelines and comparing the cost of getting a particular spell everytime you swing the sword to the prices of the various enhancement pluses.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-10, 05:01 PM
Are those exceptions to the rule or is such randomness the norm instead?
I was hoping there would be some trend we could build off of at the least.

I'm pretty sure that's the norm.
Another example: Smoking from Lords of darkness. 3rd level spell, +1 enchantment. And very powerful, particularly if you avoid provoking AOOs with movement.
It should probably be a +2

But if there isn't then there isn't and the only recourse would be via the Custom Magic Items guidelines and comparing the cost of getting a particular spell everytime you swing the sword to the prices of the various enhancement pluses.
It'd be better to design your enchantment, and price it so that it gets affordable at a useful level.
Soulfire armor for instance, is powerful, but it's not too useful at low levels. Starts getting affordable by WBL around 12.

If it's similar to something that already exists, but is stronger/weaker, then adjust the price from there.
Flaming is 1d6 fire for +1
Flaming burst is more damage on a crit, at a +2.
Make another one, let's call it "burning." More regular damage than flaming, and maybe a burst. Call it a +3. Or maybe a synergy. A flatcost enchantment (10k?), that can only be put on a flaming burst (Already 18k or more).

unseenmage
2013-12-10, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the norm.
Another example: Smoking from Lords of darkness. 3rd level spell, +1 enchantment. And very powerful, particularly if you avoid provoking AOOs with movement.
It should probably be a +2

It'd be better to design your enchantment, and price it so that it gets affordable at a useful level.
Soulfire armor for instance, is powerful, but it's not too useful at low levels. Starts getting affordable by WBL around 12.

If it's similar to something that already exists, but is stronger/weaker, then adjust the price from there.
Flaming is 1d6 fire for +1
Flaming burst is more damage on a crit, at a +2.
Make another one, let's call it "burning." More regular damage than flaming, and maybe a burst. Call it a +3. Or maybe a synergy. A flatcost enchantment (10k?), that can only be put on a flaming burst (Already 18k or more).

I agree with your assessment but man was I hoping against hope that there would be a more codified method of going about creating Custom Magic Armor/Weapon Enhancments than the Custom magic item guidelines. :smallfrown:

Ah well, such is life.