PDA

View Full Version : Monster Creation Question

PraxisVetli
2013-12-09, 12:10 PM
Hey guys.
I wanted to have my players encounter an ooze, but ooze fights are really all the same... it either comes down the narrow corridor all cube-y, or it lurks as a "puddle" until the prey comes to it.
I mean, oozes are fun, but if you've fought an ooze, you've fought them all (especially the ochres).
So to mix it up, I thought, what the ooze went from ambush predator, to more of an active hunter?
I picture something new, something terrible.
An ooze, that can spiderman through citys/stala(c/m)ite/forest at incredible speed, Pseudopods whipping through the air in a brutal series of attcks, grappling and engulfing while the characters flee for their lives.
Question is, how?
Easier to template up an ooze, or does nothing like this exist, andI should just homebrew this? (in which case cool beans if a mod can move it)
I definitely homebrew it, I was just wondering if there were Template ideas, of if there's already a "Hunter Ooze" out there?
My google-fu's failing me, all I can find is Dungeonscape's Sentry Ooze. Which is nice, but only makes it "intelligent," but not class level intelligent. Though I've no idea what class an ooze would take anyway.

Tl;dr: I want to make a quick, pseudosmart, actively hunting ooze.
Important note, I'm looking to make it CR 21-27

Deox
2013-12-09, 12:20 PM
Perhaps an Arcane Ooze with the Fiendish template? That will at least get it up to 3 int, I believe. Also makes for a much more dangerous encounter.

Also, I believe the Thrall of Jubilex does give off the image of what you're trying to do.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-09, 12:50 PM
Also, I believe the Thrall of Jubilex does give off the image of what you're trying to do.

Gelatinous Tall Mouther Thrall to Jublilex/Monk/Swordsage?

On a more serious note, Perhaps I could start with a Gibbering Mouther?

Cog
2013-12-09, 01:22 PM
You might find an official start here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a); scroll down a little past halfway.

PraxisVetli
2013-12-09, 01:30 PM
You might find an official start here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a); scroll down a little past halfway.

Farspawn Cubes??
Monk Cubes??????
lolwut????

Definitely in the right direction, I think combining them might work.
drop in the Brachiation feat from (comp. adv?) that lets you move through trees/whatnot.
Though I wanted to stay away from killer jell-o
Might start with a black puidding...