PDA

View Full Version : Questions pertaining to Trip Attacks.

Pinkcrusade
2013-12-09, 02:12 PM
Hello, Playground.

I am making a Trip Fighter/Tank, and I had a few questions.

1) Does it state you can trip during an opportunity attack? It says you are capable of making trip attacks with it, though AoO are just basic attacks IIRC, (no sneak attack, for instance), it may be different for this weapon though (Spiked Chain).

2) I have posted my character to ensure that I have not made any mistakes I may have missed.

Name: Centurion
Race: Incarnate Construct Maug (Large Giant)
Level: Incarnate Construct Maug 1/Fighter 1, Crusader 4
HP: 71 2d8 (RHD) + 4d10 (Fighter/Crusader)+ 30)
AC: 27 (10 + 9 (+1 Full Plate) + 1 (Full Plate Dexterity) + 7 (Natural Armor) - 1 (Large))
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 25 ft. (including weapon)
Initiative: 11
BAB: 5
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 7
Will: 6
Speed: 30 ft.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Height: 9'4"
Weight: 1,475
Appearance: As a normal Maug, as he constantly wears full plate armor. Carries a giant, black chain around.
Personality:

-Abilities-
Strength: 31 {10}
Constitution: 20 {5}
Dexterity: 20 {5}
Intelligence: 16 {3}
Wisdom: 12 {1}
Charisma: 16 {3}

Bonuses: +10 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha
Rolls: 18, 17, 15, 14, 14, 12
Traits: Relentless (+2 Constitution check, exhausted instead of fatigued)
Flaws: Shaky, Murky-eyed

Trip 'DC': 1d20 + 10 (Strength) + 5 (BAB) + 4 (Improved Trip) + 4 (Large) - 1 (Large) (((1d20 + 22))) vs. Touch AC (10 + Dex + Deflection)
Attack: 1d20 + 15
Damage: 2d6 + 20

Feats:
Extended Reach (Level 1)
Combat Reflexes (Fighter)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain) (flaw)
Improved Trip (flaw)
Improved Initiative (level three)
Combat Expertise (level six)

Extended Reach: increase reach by 5 ft.
Combat Reflexes: add Dexterity to AoO.
Improved Trip: Attack and Trip with same attack.
Combat Expertise: 1:1, Attack : AC conversion

Skills:

Currency: 13,000 - 4,000 (Large +1 Full Plate) - 1,000 (Large + 1 Spiked Chain, 2d6 x2)), - 4,000 +2 Gauntlets of Ogre Strength

Thank you for reading over the character, and for any responses.

OldTrees1
2013-12-09, 02:22 PM
3.5:
Trip requires a melee touch attack
1d20 + 5(BAB) -1(large) + 10(Str) vs Touch AC
If successful then you make a Trip check
1d20 + 10(Str) +4(large) +4(Improved Trip) vs Str/Dex check

Tripping is an attack action. Attacks of Opportunity allow you to take an attack action.

Sneak Attack is a non action. It is added whenever you make an attack that qualifies for Sneak Attack. This includes during an Attack of Opportunity IIRC.

Incarnate Construct Maug has 2 RHD and +1LA so it counts as 3 levels (not 1 as shown in your level line).
Also about your level line: 1 level of Fighter and 4 levels of Crusader would yield 5d10 HD not merely 4d10.

BAB +6 = +1(2RHD) +1(Ftr 1) +4(Crusader 4)

Incarnate construct Maugs do not qualify for the "nonrigid body or a nonrigid attack form such as a tentacle, or pseudopod" prerequisite for Extended Reach.
If they did, Extended Reach increases your natural reach which a reach weapon would double to 30ft.

Initiative +9 = +5(Dex) + 4(Improved Initiative)

Gwendol
2013-12-09, 02:24 PM
Combat reflexes, if we are talking about the 3.5 feat, allows you to make AoO's when flatfooted, and grants you additional AoO's per round up to your DEX mod. In your case that means 6/round which you will likely never use.

You need combat expertise before you take imp trip.

Your build lacks a few things: I suggest looking at the feats Stand Still, Power Attack, Imp Bull Rush, Knockback, and Mage Slayer. The extended reach feat seems expensive. Also, cleave: another extra attack can't hurt.
Later you will want defensive sweep.

And yes, you can trip on an AoO, and grab someone to initiate a grapple, etc.

Lilapop
2013-12-10, 02:18 AM
I can't really see the merit of Stand Still.
You have Imp Trip, and a tripping weapon. Every time you can make an attack, and your target is on its feet, you can and will attempt a trip. If that succeeds, you can do a single normal, damaging attack. That way, you get your full number of damaging attacks on top of all your trip attempts (if they all succeed, that is).
Now, with Stand Still, you could do another trip attempt after those damaging attacks, potentially allowing you an extra damaging attack... but wait. The target isn't standing anymore, so there is nothing to trip.
Alternatively, you could first execute a normal attack and let it allow a tripping attempt. But that would end up with about the same succession of attacks as the basic Imp Trip + tripping weapon setup, while filling up another feat slot.
Well... I may be applying too much common sense here.

Gwendol
2013-12-10, 04:46 AM
Stand still stops a foe, and the ref save DC can be made high enough it becomes nearly impossible to beat. Tripping does not always work (stable creature, size, strength, no actual legs, etc).

Lilapop
2013-12-10, 06:06 AM
Woops, my bad. Mixed it up with Knock-Down (http://dndtools.eu/feats/sword-and-fist-a-guidebook-to-monks-and-fighters--50/knock-down--3189/). Being able to get around your main maneuver's limitation is great, of course.

eggynack
2013-12-10, 06:10 AM
Woops, my bad. Mixed it up with Knock-Down (http://dndtools.eu/feats/sword-and-fist-a-guidebook-to-monks-and-fighters--50/knock-down--3189/). Being able to get around your main maneuver's limitation is great, of course.
Knock-down is sweet. It lets you pull of an attack-trip-attack sequence, which is pretty powerful. You're basically never going to deal below ten damage on a hit if you're trying, and if the chances of a trip are less than the chances of an attack hitting, which isn't unlikely against large and quadrupedal opponents, then you're better off opening with the attack and getting the trip for free.

Greenish
2013-12-10, 06:12 AM
Now, with Stand Still, you could do another trip attempt after those damaging attacks, potentially allowing you an extra damaging attack... but wait. The target isn't standing anymore, so there is nothing to trip.
Alternatively, you could first execute a normal attack and let it allow a tripping attempt. But that would end up with about the same succession of attacks as the basic Imp Trip + tripping weapon setup, while filling up another feat slot.
Well... I may be applying too much common sense here.That's assuming the Sword & Fist errata (which never got applied to the Deities & Demigods version that is the source of the SRD version) applies. Not an unreasonable assumption, but as you note, it makes Knockdown far less useful.