PDA

View Full Version : Looking for traps in Pathfinder

Pex
2013-12-09, 02:17 PM
Some people don't like that classes other than rogue can search for (magical) traps because it takes away a uniqueness. I think of it as a feature because it means no one class is absolutely crucial to have in a party. I don't mind some overlap in abilities between classes.

In my group's recent game exploring a dungeon, we have no party rogue. My paladin and the fighter took the time to search for traps, thanks to a trait making Perception a class skill and putting in the ranks. Due to higher intelligence the fighter had the points to spare to put in Disable Device and disarmed the traps. I failed once to find a trap and got hit with acid, but even so the traps weren't a problem for us. We found them. The fighter disarmed them.

By happenstance there were no magical traps in the dungeon, but if they did exist we'd have just dealt with them. We know we could use a rogue who is more an expert in these matters, but I found it fun the paladin and fighter got the job done.

Spore
2013-12-09, 02:24 PM
Rogues are but a relic from the past. If they don't step up their game drastically in future iterations of D&D they might as well not exist.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-09, 02:31 PM
Rogues are a good class, with some issues that will have to be solved later.

Yes, anyone can disable traps, and anyone can find them. The rogue has tons of skillpoints though, so spends less of an opportunity cost to do so. He can also be sneaking at the same time, and be handy with a few key wands.

I like how, in a pinch, a fighter can be built to disable traps. He can be a crafty blacksmith type who is good with his hands. A paladin can be a trapfinder through divine insight and disciplined mind. A rogue is a skill class. The rogue can do both at once, and a few more things on top of that.

Gnaeus
2013-12-09, 02:50 PM
This isn't really a big change from 3.5> PF. Yes, PF does make it so that ANYBODY can search for traps, but there were plenty of classes, ACFs, spells, and other methods to make a non-rogue trapfinder in 3.5. In some ways, in a game where traps are common, the change helps to protect a rogue's niche, because in 3.5, a Rogue 1/any high int or skill point class 19 is roughly as good at trapfinding as a rogue 20, whereas in PF, it is a bonus based on levels, so a dedicated trapfinder is more likely to want to stay in a class that grants trapfinding past level 1.

khachaturian
2013-12-09, 03:06 PM
for pathfinder, you are even less rogue-dependent for magical traps with detect magic at will, and you can just try to dispel to disarm.

Keneth
2013-12-09, 03:13 PM
The issue is mainly that traps in most D&D games are little more than an annoyance, rather than the challenges they're supposed to be, and there's never any need for someone who's really good at dealing with traps.

I do think every class being able to find and disarm traps is a good thing, but I also know that good traps require more than just someone with a passing interest in disabling devices making two rolls and moving on.