PDA

View Full Version : Gish spells to fight undead [3.5]

hymer
2013-12-09, 02:24 PM
Regardless of spell list, what are the spells you'd like to have on a gish if you face a campaign with undead being the opponent more often than not?

Norin
2013-12-09, 02:53 PM
Death ward, restoration line, hide from undead, command undead, daylight, prot from evil, etc.

That was a start, but really... the list is too long. Most spells that are normaly useful/good and not generaly negated by undead apply.

hymer
2013-12-09, 02:57 PM
I'm grateful for people just stating what pops into their heads. So thanks! :smallsmile:

Garktz
2013-12-09, 03:31 PM
you might not be able to get acces to it due being 9th level spell, but this is awesome
im a doomguide of kelemvor (awesome faerun specific cleric prc) and this is my #1 spell by far

Undeath's Eternal Foe (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/undeaths-eternal-foe--4647/)

hymer
2013-12-09, 03:38 PM
9th level is a tad high, but I didn't specify. Thanks regardless!

Vaz
2013-12-09, 03:45 PM
Spark of Life is a spell that helps out the rest of the party, letting them be affected by stuff without undead Immunity.

hymer
2013-12-09, 04:02 PM
Nicely surreal one there. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Garktz
2013-12-09, 04:14 PM
9th level is a tad high, but I didn't specify. Thanks regardless!

:P I know i let myself go with that one so i.ll give you a few tips.

cure line is actually good damage if you have it in a storing weapon.
also this undeath to death (http://dndtools.eu/spells/faiths-pantheons--18/undeath-to-death--1144/) is good and from item compedium, you have a crystal to be able to sneak attack undead guys, it might be worth looking at.

also, ilusions might work on mindless undeads, you create an illusion and let them chase after it or make them stop because they see a wall and cant realize is a fake wall... you should ask your dm about this stuff (works great with hide from undead)

edit. as 5th level (on cleric list) plane shift, read through it, ill give you a tip (Creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands) buy buy big stupid guy (also works on everything with low will)

JeminiZero
2013-12-09, 08:52 PM
Against undead, your primary concern are their exotic effects: Ability Damage, Ability Drain, Energy Drain, Death Effects and occasionally Mind Control.

Deathward mentioned above protects against Energy Drain and Death Effects. See if you can convince the Cleric to have Mass Deathward [SpC] on hand (either prepared or in scroll) to save having to cast it repeatedly. Alternatively, get Soulfire Armor enchantment [BoED] which basically acts like a permanent Deathward.

Mind Control can be blocked out by various low level spells: Core has Protection from X and Magic Circle against X. Additionally Disobedience [Complete Scoundrel] works similiarly, lasts hours and affects a target at range. This means you can apply Chain spell to it to cover the whole party. As it is level 3, a least rod of chaining will work. Pool together party funds to buy one.

Ability Damage and Drain is trickiest of all. Only readily available source of protection against Ability Drain is Sheltered Vitality [SpC] for the Cleric, and Veil of Undeath [SpC]. Immunity to Ability Damage is a bit more common and can be found with spells like Stone Body [SpC] and Iron Body [core]. Finally, Shapechange gives you the immunities of your assumed form.

Also consider having Construct/Undead minions of your own, whether permanent (Animate Dead) or just summoned for the fight (Conjure Ice Beast [Frost], Summon Undead [SpC]). Their immunities let them stand against enemy undead without suffering their exotic effects. Minions at least are always useful, if rarely optimal, and will still be useful if you happen to be facing something other than undead.

Chronos
2013-12-09, 09:38 PM
Undead Bane Weapon, from the Spell Compendium. It does pretty much what it says on the box, giving your weapon the Undead Bane special ability. And it lasts for an hour per level, so you can cast it at the beginning of the day and not worry about spending actions on it in combat.

Urpriest
2013-12-09, 09:48 PM
Undead tend to be lower on hit points than most (Zombies being the notable exception), so most damage stuff will be more effective.

hymer
2013-12-10, 05:09 AM
@ Garktz: Illusions work well against mindless undead, very true. Using plane shift as SoD, though, seems a tad problematic. First you gotta touch'em, then you gotta get through any spell resistance, and then you target their very best save. I'd just go with Disintegrate, it's a level lower, too. :smallsmile:

@ JeminiZero: Very nice analyses, thanks!

@ Chronos: Prime choice, no doubt! Frees up another +1 on the main weapon.

@ Urpriest: Very true, up to a certain point at least. Thanks!

Dalebert
2013-12-10, 10:11 AM
I'm surprised no one has mention force effects yet. Good for dealing with incorporeal undead since they're affected normally by it. Spiritual weapon, mage armor, shield, and force ward come to mind. I think there is some spell that will grant ghost touch to a weapon temporarily but can't recall.

Chronos
2013-12-10, 11:25 AM
I think there is some spell that will grant ghost touch to a weapon temporarily but can't recall.
There is, Ghost Touch Weapon, but it's only 1 min/CL. For dealing with incorporeals, I prefer Ghost Trap, which makes them solid for everyone, and also prevents them from doing annoying things like hiding in walls.

Icewraith
2013-12-10, 12:08 PM
Instead of ghost touch weapon, get a lesser truedeath crystal for 5k.

Also, best gish spell to fight undead? Wraithstrike. Because touch attacks ignore natural armor bonuses to ac. A large portion of undead rely on natural armor bonuses or the armor they were buried with for a significant chunk of their ac, the only undead with good touch AC are usually incorporeal.

For incorporeals, force effects or transdimensional spell metamagic. Normally kind of useless, amazing in an ethereal or incorporeal creature heavy campaign. Transdimensional Black Tentacles or Solid Fog.

hymer
2013-12-10, 01:47 PM
@ Dalebert: Good points, thanks!

@ Chronos: /Hat off

@ Icewraith: Good thinking on the crystal, though I might want a Witchlight Reservoir crystal (+4d6 damage to undead - less situational). With the spells, I can get both effects at one time. I'm steering clear of wraithstrike for other reasons, but definitely a wonderful gish spell. Thanks!

Grayson01
2013-12-11, 03:01 PM
Disrupt Undead

hymer
2013-12-11, 03:05 PM
For when all else fails! :smallbiggrin: