PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5] New Backgrounds

Jeivar
2013-12-09, 03:12 PM
I am building a viking-themed campaign for D&D Next and I've designed four new backgrounds to fit the setting.
What do you guys think?

*Merchant
The vikings were great explorers and traders upon the waves.
Skills: Persuasion, Insight, Sailing
Tools: Navigator’s tools
Languages: Two of your choice
Trait: Pidgin language. You are adept at making yourself understood to just about everyone regarding trade. You can bargain and inquire about products with people you don’t share a language with, but not discuss any more complicated matters.
Gear: Block and tackle, fine clothes, traveller’s clothes, abacus, navigator’s tools, merchant’s scales, two tents, 50 gp worth of fine stones to trade, 40 gp of other trade goods, 31 gold pieces.

*Viking
Your archetypal sea raider.
Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Sailing
Tools: Navigator’s tools, gaming set.
Languages: One of your choice
Trait: Fame – Your exploits in raids has brought you a certain amount of fame and recognition. Fellow Norsemen will respect you and your celebrity can easily get you invited to a lord’s hall to tell of your exploits. No one will demand you prove yourself because you already have.
Gear: Traveler’s clothes, navigator’s tools, potion of healing, fishing tackle, five days worth of rations, grappling hook and a hempen rope, bedroll, gaming set, decorated knife made to commemorate a famous raid, backpack, pouch, 40 gp worth of jewelry taken as loot. 44 gold pieces, 5 silver pieces.

*Wiseman
Skills: History, Medicine, Insight,
Tools: Healer’s Kit, Herbalism Kit,
Languages: One of your choice
Trait: Voice of wisdom. Whenever people gather or lords make important decision, custom demands you be allowed to voice your thoughts on the matter at hand.
Gear: Healer’s kit, herbalism kit, robe, tome, fine clothes, ink, ink pen, paper (ten sheets), ten candles, 80 gold pieces, 18 silver pieces, 8 copper pieces

*Shieldmaiden
Women devoted to the care and protection of temples to the goddess Freyja. Often orphans raised in a temple, these semi-priestesses often strike out into the world to bring glory to their goddess.
Skills: Persuasion, Religion, Athletics
Tools: Musical instrument, Healer’s Kit
Languages: one of your choice
Trait: I'm a bit torn on this one. I want to give them +1 to AC when using a shield to go with the name and their role, but maybe a combat-related trait is too powerful.
I might also go with Freyja's Temple: Allowing the Shieldmaiden to find shelter and support at any temple to Freyja, provided she join in the ceremonies and aid in the temple's defense.
I could use some input on this one.

Gear: Healer’s kit, musical instrument, shield painted with the symbol of Freyja, common clothes, a temple ring, pouch, ceremonial dagger, ceremonial robe, two jars of war paint, decorated helmet. Potion of healing. 54 gold pieces.

Zweisteine
2013-12-10, 09:56 PM
I'd say the mechant's learned languages (at least one of them), is redundant, because of pidgin language. Perhaps replace it with Vehicles (land) (i.e. wagons) or Vehicles (water) (i.e. boats). I know rules for those are lacking, but one of them is present in the rules (soldier background), and make some sense.

The Merchant also gets quite a lot of gear. You probably want to cut down on that. Remove the gems and you're probably good. (most backgrounds have about 50gp worth of stuff, with the exception of the Noble)

These two are more historical inaccuracies, perhaps, than actual problems, and would depend on the setting specifics.

1. Fame might not be the best for a Viking, as they were also feared as raiders. Perhaps make it a dual trait: Fame/Fear. Enemies fear you (like the thug trait) and allies respect you.*

2. Shieldmaidens did not necessarily work for a temple. They were simply female warriors (source: wikipedia, so not necessarily too accurate, but it matches the name, so...). Perhaps just grab the priest, and switch the gear and skills.

The wiseman looks pretty good. I would make a suggestion similar to what I made for the Fame trait: Instead of having people of all stations always seek
your advice, simply have them just trust your advice. As you become famous adventuring, more varied groups of people will seek you out for advice. (I'd also rename it "advisor," whether changed or not.)

*They see you as an honorable warrior, they would treat you to drinks, etc.
Fame would do the things you mentioned, but maybe with fewer lordly invitations, because there are so many warriors. That type of fame ("true" fame), is what you earn while adventuring, never before.