PDA

View Full Version : [M&M] Need character build advice!

roll4init
2013-12-09, 03:28 PM
Hey all. So, the Atomic Think tank is closed for registrations so I'm not sure where else to post this. Hopefully there is some Mutants and Masterminds players on this board! Alternatively, if anyone would be willing to post this on my behalf in the Atomic Think Tank forums would be my hero.

So here is my basic character concept, our campaign is going to be a Hero High style, Powerlevel 8.

His name is Impact, He is a speedster/bruiser type of character that absorbs physical kinetic energy and uses it to boost his own kinetic abilities like speed, strength, strike, jumping, etc. This is a basic rundown of what I came up with, but I'm not sure if it is a good way of doing things mechanically, so I'm hoping I might get some input.

Impact

PL: 8 (120 pp)

ABILITIES: STR: 20 (+5/+2) DEX: 20 (+5/+2) CON: 20 (+5/+2) INT: 10 (0) WIS: 10 (0) CHA: 12 (+1)

SKILLS: Popular Culture 4 (+4), Notice 4 (+4),

FEATS: Dodge Focus (4), All-out Attack, Move-by Action, Improved Overrun, Fast Overrun

POWERS: Absorption (Physical) [Boost: Any One] [Ex: Energy Storage] [4], Enhanced Strength [6], Enhanced Dexterity [6], Enhanced Constitution [6], Super-Strength [4], Leaping [3], Immovable [Ex: Unstopable] [3], Speed [3], Strike [PF: Mighty] [3]

COMBAT: Attack 7 [Strike +8; Unarmed +5] Defense 7 (2 flat-footed) Init 5

SAVES: Toughness 5 (5 flat-footed) Fortitude 6 Reflex 9 Will 5

Abilities 14 + Skills 2 (8 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 66 + Combat 20 + Saves 10 – Drawbacks 0 = 120 / 120

I have never actually played a session before so I'm not sure how this character will perform. He can absorb physical damage and convert them into power ranks for one power at a time, allowing me to briefly boost things, how hard I hit, run, etc. Basically I think I will be using slam and overrun a lot, and maybe using move-by attack on people slower than me. At his core he isn't very powerful compared to the premade archtypes, but the boost ability sets him ahead of them for brief moments. Absorb is limited by powerlevel with toughness so he only has an effective toughness of 5 against energy attacks.

I was thinking It might be better to create a dynamic power array such as Kinetic Control at touch range, boost the array and then distribute the bonus ranks among powers that way. I would like to take super-speed with rapid attack but there just isn't enough points. Being able to absorb kinetic energy, it would make sense for him to be able to slow enemies on touch as well, But that could be something he learns later. It seems like there is a better way to do this. Anyone have any ideas for this character concept?