PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes for Duskblades?

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 05:00 PM
Me and my friends are starting a new campaign this saturday, beginning at level 1. I've decided to try out the Duskblade class from PH2, and was wondering if there are any prestige classes worth looking into as we level up.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-15, 05:04 PM
Look into Abjurant Champion (CMage), Chameleon (er, I don't remember), Ur-Priest (CDiv), and Fochulcan Lyrist (CAdv).

Tibor
2007-01-15, 05:10 PM
Abjurant champion is horrible for duskblade. Chameleon is the best as far as BAB and spellcasting goes. I haven't seen any UR-Priest builds.

Also chameleon is from Races of Destiny.

Dhavaer
2007-01-15, 05:15 PM
I think Duskblade is one of those classes that simply doesn't prestige well.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-15, 05:18 PM
Ur-Priest is nice because you get to Arcane Channel harm.

Also, another one to look into is the Jade Phoenix Adept out of the Tome of Battle.

Tibor
2007-01-15, 05:31 PM
Actually Duskblade 13/Chameleon 7 is rather nice. I think the channel ability only works for your duskblade spells so that wouldn't work for UR-Priest. Jade Pheonix mage means losing 3 caster levels which weakens your casting even more then it is already. Jade Pheonix mage works best with warblade/wizard gish builds.

its_all_ogre
2007-01-15, 05:31 PM
personally i would not bother, you are going to lose something if you multi class or take a Prc, either bab or spell casting.
possibly m/c with rogue, boosting your reflex save and grabbing evasion? you still lose bab and spell use, but you gain some dice of sneak attack and tumble, which is useful for a lighter armoured warrior type, then you can use arcane channeling in a flanking position and slam them hard!
i think duskblade is a nicely balanced class as it is to be honest though and needs little adding to it.

Tibor
2007-01-15, 05:35 PM
You lose BAB if you go into Chameleon yes, but you get wizard spells that you have no access to otherwise. Dropping 3 BAB for wraithstrike? Yes please!

Fax Celestis
2007-01-15, 05:41 PM
Actually Duskblade 13/Chameleon 7 is rather nice. I think the channel ability only works for your duskblade spells so that wouldn't work for UR-Priest. Jade Pheonix mage means losing 3 caster levels which weakens your casting even more then it is already. Jade Pheonix mage works best with warblade/wizard gish builds.

Arcane Channeling works with any spell you have access to, up to and including divine spells (and psionic powers, if you have magic/psionics transparency).

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 05:41 PM
I might check out the Chameleon class. One of my friends has the book, he just needs to find it. The arcane channeling works for any spell the Duskblade can cast, whether it is a duskblade spell or cleric, or even for some strange reason, druid. Quickcast wraithstrike and then throw in a arcane channeled disintigrate...ouch.

unlit.candle
2007-01-15, 05:42 PM
I say go straight Duskblade and don't worry about the PrC. There is never any harm in sticking with what works. PrC are usually a matter of optimization, so I would have to agree with Tibor and go Chameleon. Nothing else is going to be as good.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-15, 05:58 PM
I haven't seen any UR-Priest builds.
I made an Ur-priest Duskblade, as an 11th level build for fun. It involved the use of the Flexable Mind feat to get bluff and diplomacy as class skills. As far as I can tell on paper it's a rather potent build, and as was said before channeling Harm is always very fun.

Tibor
2007-01-15, 06:26 PM
I might check out the Chameleon class. One of my friends has the book, he just needs to find it. The arcane channeling works for any spell the Duskblade can cast, whether it is a duskblade spell or cleric, or even for some strange reason, druid. Quickcast wraithstrike and then throw in a arcane channeled disintigrate...ouch.

You can only channel spells with a range of "touch" not "ranged touch" spells unfortunately...but that would be awesome.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-15, 06:29 PM
This is what the Enlightened Fist's Hold Ray ability is for.

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 06:31 PM
You can only channel spells with a range of "touch" not "ranged touch" spells unfortunately...but that would be awesome.

Blast...well there goes that plan.

Tibor
2007-01-15, 07:02 PM
If you go chameleon you should learn the spell "combust", it's a great spell to channel, and after you cast the spell there's an additional reflex save or catch on fire.

FdL
2007-01-15, 07:42 PM
Why take a prestige class????

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 07:59 PM
Why take a prestige class????

If I find a prestige class worth going into as a Duskblade, why not do it? Although if I either don't find one, can't get my hands on the book with Chameleon, or just am not alowed to go into that, or any, prestige class because of my DM, I have no problem going straight Duskblade, the class is pretty nifty on it's own.

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 08:02 PM
No ranged touch, but slay living works for your 5th lvl spells, and harm for your 6th lvl spells.

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 08:04 PM
If you go chameleon you should learn the spell "combust", it's a great spell to channel, and after you cast the spell there's an additional reflex save or catch on fire.
I second this wonderful spell, use all those 2nd lvl spellslots for 10d6 damage.

Cybren
2007-01-15, 08:07 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 08:09 PM
No ranged touch, but slay living works for your 5th lvl spells, and harm for your 6th lvl spells.

That'll be fun to use. By the way, do you play RWK?

Tibor
2007-01-15, 08:21 PM
Don't PRC from Duskblade until after level 13 though.

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 08:25 PM
Don't PRC from Duskblade until after level 13 though.

Oh I know. Wasn't planning on leaving Duskblade until at least 13 to begin with

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 08:27 PM
That'll be fun to use. By the way, do you play RWK?
The answer is no, now my question what is RWK?

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 08:29 PM
The answer is no, now my question what is RWK?

It's a text based online game. I only asked because there is one guy on there who's screen name is Ramza.

Cybren
2007-01-15, 08:31 PM
It's a text based online game. I only asked because there is one guy on there who's screen name is Ramza.
They probably just both played FFTactics

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 08:31 PM
Hmm...after looking at this class....I'm gonna have to either steal a wizards spell book...or hope there is a wizard in the party (and when he dies, take his spell book). And I'm going to need to get myself a holy symbol to.

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 08:37 PM
Hmm...after looking at this class....I'm gonna have to either steal a wizards spell book...or hope there is a wizard in the party (and when he dies, take his spell book). And I'm going to need to get myself a holy symbol to.
You qualify for the use of your floating feat extra spell (via Duskblade, plain Chameleon doesn't qualify). Choose a different extra spell each day. Note you are still one spell lvl behind your maximun for chameleon.

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 08:37 PM
They probably just both played FFTactics
Correct, great game by the way.

Tibor
2007-01-15, 08:43 PM

You can just buy a book and pay for spells to put in it. It's a worth while investment. Plus if you don't encounter at least one spell caster in combat your DM is way to easy on you.

Edit: Also if there is a wizard in your campaign you don't have to wait for him to die. You can simply borrow his spell book for an hour in the morning.

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 08:54 PM
You can just buy a book and pay for spells to put in it. It's a worth while investment. Plus if you don't encounter at least one spell caster in combat your DM is way to easy on you.

Edit: Also if there is a wizard in your campaign you don't have to wait for him to die. You can simply borrow his spell book for an hour in the morning.

I choose death for the spellcaster!:smallbiggrin:

Tibor
2007-01-15, 08:55 PM
LOL good enough...but wait till he's asleep.

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 09:06 PM
LOL good enough...but wait till he's asleep.
And after a massive battle and thus he has exhausted his spell list. (While you a semi melee person has healed with wands of cure light wounds/lesser vigor).

Ramza00
2007-01-15, 09:07 PM
Just to be safe, you may want to get another wizard or a cleric to cast wish/miracle and remove the name/details about the guy's life so nobody casts raise's dead or resurrection on our now deceased wizard. Sure it may take the wizard several months to find you after he has a new spellbook, but remember everybody a pissed off wizard is scary *tinfoilhat*

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 09:19 PM
Oh, odds are I won't have to worry about the wizard coming back...we rarely seem to bring back killed characters. I don't know why. lol